Golfspy_CG2

2018 Official Forum Member Review-Big Bertha 2019 Irons

Great stuff DD, really looking forward to seeing how they compare to Ole Grays launchers

I went to True Spec for an iron fitting and I got to try these and they weren’t even close to beating my Launchers. Not saying they’re no good, just weren’t for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

DawgDaddy is coming up today and I'm looking forward to seeing my old buddy with these irons in tow.  I might even take a couple whacks with these bad boys 😉

• Like 5

I hit a few shots today with DawgDaddy's Big Bertha 2019 irons and was pleasantly surprised.  More coming soon so stay tuned! 😉

• Like 4

I hit a few shots today with DawgDaddy's Big Bertha 2019 irons and was pleasantly surprised.  More coming soon so stay tuned! 

How could you do this to the Launchers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

How could you do this to the Launchers?

Whoaaaaaaa bro!  The Launchers are safely in the sack 😉  My buddy big Dawg wanted my thoughts and I'm gave em a few whacks in the arse.   I will say I hit some pretty darn quality shots  with em!  The cool thing is Dawg's specs are a mirror of my own so the transition was smoother than butter on a hawt sweet potato. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 4

Whoaaaaaaa bro!  The Launchers are safely in the sack   My buddy big Dawg wanted my thoughts and I'm gave em a few whacks in the arse.   I will say I hit some pretty darn quality shots  with em!  The cool thing is Dawg's specs are a mirror of my own so the transition was smoother than butter on a hawt sweet potato. 🏌️♂️

I’m happy to hear that....you had me nervous. My Launchers got a face lift today. New grips and shaved a quarter inch off the top. What a difference in ball striking and distance gain.

• Like 3

Yep, I will be writing my stage 2 in a day or three so stay tuned, some interesting stuff IMO.   Any one with any questions fire away, but I may have you covered in my next post.  

Had a blast with my buddy ole gray and we were even honored to witness a HIO by one of the members of our foursome, their first so it was very exciting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DawgDaddy said:

Yep, I will be writing my stage 2 in a day or three so stay tuned, some interesting stuff IMO.   Any one with any questions fire away, but I may have you covered in my next post.  

Had a blast with my buddy ole gray and we were even honored to witness a HIO by one of the members of our foursome, their first so it was very exciting. 

My wife's (KellyBo) best friend was playing with us and aced #16!  It was her first ever so yea it was really special. 

• Like 2

My stage 2 is now up an active.  Check it out on page 1.  As always I welcome any questions or comments.  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 11:17 AM, DawgDaddy said:

Alright folks here we go with my full on thoughts on the Callaway Big Bertha 2019 Irons. After extending the irons and installing my favorite grips ( Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G ) with 2 extra wraps, I began to really get into my testing. Living in Georgia I have played at least twice per week and most weeks I have played 3 times. I also play with two senior groups in my area and we play some of the better courses in the area a couple of Monday's each month so I have had opportunity to really put these irons through the paces. Depending on how my back is feeling and how tough the course I am playing is I have shot pretty much everything between 74 & 92 with most of my scores being 81or 82 which is not too shabby for a 71 year old.

Looks

I must say that I think these irons looks better than any game-improvement iron I have ever played, I like the subtlety of the black smoked PVD finish, with the addition of the dual white lines in the bottom two groves it really makes the club head pop. The finish certainly helps made the offset appear to be less that it actually is and also makes the club head size appear to be smaller. The badging is certainly not over stated and is done tastefully in white lettering with red chevrons. The UST Mimiya silver graphite shaft is a great pairing for performance and looks I have had several people ask what they are when I am warming up on the range, yes they do look that good. The PVD finish is starting to show some wear, I am including a picture of my 9 iron as it is a good representation of the wear.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

Score – 9 of 10

Sound & Feel

Callaway Golf states that “The Suspended Energy Core is designed to deliver an incredible sound and feel.” I think they nailed it, the sound is very consistent across the face (trust me, I use all of the face) I would call it a soft type of sound. The feel is somewhat muted for me and along with the sound I sometimes am unable to judge just how much of a mishit I might made. Nothing feels very harsh which I really like but I sometimes would like more feedback on my misses. All in all I believe that with more play I can become more sensitive to the limited feedback these irons give.

Score – 8 of 10

Range Performance

Range time for me is mostly limited to my warm up before a round, so while loosening up for a round I would play little games with my 9 iron and 6 iron. After warming up I would hit a 9 iron 95 yards and a 6 iron 150, then a 9 iron 115 and a 6 iron 130. I would then hit a few draws at those distances and then try to cut the ball to the same distances, I had a good bit of trouble with the cut shot. These irons have offset and I am a draw player so I don't believe I would be able to cut the ball on course under pressure, the few times I tried I failed miserably. I was able to flight the ball high and medium easily, the lower shots I could hit but again I had some difficulty although I had more success than I did drawing the ball.

These are a very forgiving iron, off center hits travel farther than I ever expected but there seems to be no “hot spots” that send a ball rocketing over my targets.

Score – 16 of 20

On-Course Performance

As they say, the proof is in the pudding, on course these babies have been solid. I have started playing in a skins game each Friday at my home course, in the 6 weeks or so I have played with them I have had from 1 to 3 birdies each round, we pay for birdies and overall winner. I won the first week and have been playing on house money since. The area the irons have help me the most is on the par 3s, when I set one on a tee and then strike it with these irons it is literally money. The distance for my most lofted irons is very consistent, I love to have the 7 iron or less in my hands for any approach shot. I hit the 6 and 5 fairly consistently but I am not as consistent with the 4, that's not to say that some of my 4 iron shots haven't been pretty but I just can't count on hitting it well. I have used a 4 hybrid for the last 4 years and I think I am over swinging the 4 iron.

I have been able to shape shots high and low as needed and am able to hit draws and straight shots on command but the fade is hit or miss. Depending on your skill level I would imagine fades would not be a part of most peoples arsenal of shots. I have found the Big Bertha's to be slightly longer than the TaylorMade M1s I was playing, I would say in the 4 to 6 yard range, nothing drastic but for a 71 year old short hitter it was welcomed. These are my first Callaway irons since 2000 when I bought a new set of X-14s, they seem to have help me regain a little of my distance back without sacrificing any accuracy which is a great thing in my book. The nice high ball flight really helps in holding greens too even with the little bit of added distance.

I got together with ole gray one day recently, we each hit the others clubs a few times on the range and during the round, I am including a video of an interview I did with him after the round. He is playing last years Most Wanted SGI iron the Cleveland Launcher HB, you can hear his words about the Big Bertha. Personally I found the Big Bertha's every bit the equal to the Launcher HB's and will predict that the Callaway Big Bertha will be the 2019 Most Wanted SGI iron. Here's the vid.

Score - 37 of 40

Play it or Trade it

Being as I see some regained distance and no loss of accuracy I plan to put my M1s up for sale, these clubs are solid performers and suit my current game well, I don't foresee anything knocking them from my bag any time soon.

Points – 20 of 20

Conclusion

Callaway Golf has added some impressive technology to these clubs, the Suspended Energy Core is basically a tungsten bar positioned very low and all the way across in the club head by using some propriety urethane microspheres. This makes is extremely easy to get the ball airborne, and the 360° Face Cup that wraps around the edge provides a face flexibility that helps to increase ball speeds. The added height to my shots has me standing and admiring the ball flight, something I haven't done in years.

The shaft and head combination suit my swing well and they look pretty awesome to boot, I would recommend any mid to high handicapper to give them a try as well as anyone falling into my category of of an aging golfer who has had some physical issues, the Big Bertha's may be just the thing your game needs I know they have helped mine. Well done Callaway Golf!

Final Score – 90 of 100

Home run bruther as you ALWAYS pound out solid reviews!    I totally enjoyed our day together and look forward to our little golf trip coming up in May.   I was impressed to say the least with the Callaway Big Bertha 2019 Irons and will have to hit them again to make sure it was not just a lucky day with them.   Congrats on showcasing another stellar review with the hard work and many hours you provide for your work.    Well done buddy!  

• Like 3

Nice work DawgDaddy! I hit these at True Spec and they couldn’t beat my Launchers. The fitter reached out to me the very next day and told me they fit a guy into the Big Bertha irons....he was using the Launchers. I can see how these could be neck and neck. If you can convert Ole Grey I may need to take another look.

• Like 2

Nice job Dawf Daddy.  Really happy to hear these were a succes for you.   Finding lost distance is always a nice thing.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

My stage 2 is now up an active.  Check it out on page 1.  As always I welcome any questions or comments.  

Nice review, DD!

• Like 1

Bump for our day time folks who may have missed the Stage 2 write up!   

Thx for all that info, DD! And really happy for you that you've found something that helps you enjoy the game even more 👍

---

Unrelated musing, and I know no one can answer this, but I'm just wondering out loud about the longevity of the filler material... That is, can the "goo" inside eventually (after enough time and enough ball strikes) weaken and deform? And this affect the performance?

Well, I know the Callaway engineers are a lot smarter than I and have presumably thought this through and tested the material. And even so, that time to failure is most likely a very long way off.

---

Oh and btw great vid .. you two guys look like you had a fun time together!

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 1:30 PM, cksurfdude said:

Thx for all that info, DD! And really happy for you that you've found something that helps you enjoy the game even more 👍

---

Unrelated musing, and I know no one can answer this, but I'm just wondering out loud about the longevity of the filler material... That is, can the "goo" inside eventually (after enough time and enough ball strikes) weaken and deform? And this affect the performance?

Well, I know the Callaway engineers are a lot smarter than I and have presumably thought this through and tested the material. And even so, that time to failure is most likely a very long way off.

---

Oh and btw great vid .. you two guys look like you had a fun time together!

Thank you cks, as far as the "goo" inside the club head Callaway says that the tungsten bar is suspended in some proprietary urethane microspheres.  I assume that that means the bar is attached and then surrounded by tiny balls of urethane.  As hard as urethane is I would doubt it would ever turn to a "goo".   Great question and something that someone from Callaway golf might provide an answer to, I would like too know to now that you have brought it up.

• Like 2

Dawg I'm back working on a fade and my question is, do you think these irons would work for an old hooker?  They really felt great when I hit them however I did not purposely try to hit a fade. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, ole gray said:

Dawg I'm back working on a fade and my question is, do you think these irons would work for an old hooker?  They really felt great when I hit them however I did not purposely try to hit a fade. 

Hey buddy, I would think and old hooker like you (and me) would have to work hard to get a small fade out of these irons.  I plan to give it another shot each time I am on a driving range, I would imagine if I can get a slight fade from these I would never have to worry about actually hitting a huge slice with them.  I'll get back with you and let you know how it works out.  

• Love 1

13 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

Hey buddy, I would think and old hooker like you (and me) would have to work hard to get a small fade out of these irons.  I plan to give it another shot each time I am on a driving range, I would imagine if I can get a slight fade from these I would never have to worry about actually hitting a huge slice with them.  I'll get back with you and let you know how it works out.  

Heck yea!   I'm working really hard on keeping the club in front of me and in doing so, I am seeing some nice fades.  It's when I take it too far inside (flat) and have to flip it then some ducks start quacking.   The HB Launchers are definitely easy to draw or hook but I have to be diligent to consistently hit fades with em. 

• Like 1