TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stay with iPhone X, or move to Samsung???

PMookie

Apple has stopped selling the SE. I would imagine that support for it will be dropped at some stage as well.

I'm an Android guy and my brother is a fan boi, big time. If Apple sells it he's got it.

Chanin and I currently have Galaxy S7's but we will be able to upgrade in February and will be getting the Pixel 3. I'm done with Samsungs bloatware and our only decision now is do we go Google Fi or Verizon. I'm hoping Chanin will be on board with Fi.
Verizon is still selling it. I'd imagine that it'll run current versions of iOS for a while. I just upgraded my wife's OG iPad Mini to the newest version of iOS. I had to wipe it first, but it's actually running pretty nicely now. Saved myself an unnecessary purchase.

I'm with Shankster, I expect to see an SE2 this spring. There's a market for small, powerful phones.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Middler said:

It’s interesting those who recommend Android never acknowledge the privacy and data mining differences, they’re well documented. I’ll agree both iOS and Android are great, both have strengths and weaknesses - but there’s no comparison WRT privacy. If you don’t care about losing all control of your personal info and being tracked Android has advantages, if you do care iOS is the better choice. Most people would be shocked to know how much of their personal info Google (and Facebook) keeps and sells. They’ve made billions selling targeting ads without charging users a penny. I’m sure many have heard the adage ‘if you’re not paying for it, you’re the product.’

There is no way I will ever get anything that's related to Google; the most invasive organization on the planet.  And I thought the feds were bad.  I have a gmail account, but haven't used it in years.  I'm afraid to.

Google crawled my wife's desktop hard drive a few years ago.  She had a dentist appointment that she had put in Outlook Calendar.  On the day before her appointment, she got an alert email from Google reminding her of the appointment.

I have owned my iPhone 4S since they first came out.  No problems except the battery only lasts a day, and when it's cold, it won't that long.  I could replace the battery and be happy, but that $100 and I still can't run the latest iOS.  Maybe I can last until the SE2 shows up.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am not an "OS" snob but I am rather brand-loyal. My career (now 32-years in) has taken me from one Motorola shop to another and I've owned just about every major model of Motorola phone from the start...the "brick", the slim-line, original flip, Star-TAC, original Droid, etc. just to name a few. Working for Motorola endorsed shops, it just makes sense to carry Motorola-branded products. Now I know the Motorola branded smart-phones of today (even if you can still get one) are not so popular as they once were, but I've only had to own 3 of them from the start of this type of generation that started around 2010. Within that time span, I bet my wife and daughter have been through about 20 between iPhones between them. Whether is was bad displays, bad batteries, locking-up, or most notably "Oooh, the new iPhone (insert model) is out!" syndrome, or whatever, it seems that for some reason they find themselves constantly upgrading. I just laugh at them while my money evaporates (unfortunately that's not so funny) in order to accommodate their "needs" while I truck along with a fairly abused MOTO Z with zero issues.
To each is own, but I just don't see the basic reliability of Apple being all that good (I'm sure there are exceptions). But more so is the culture Apple has instilled in this generation of users which seems to tell you that last years' model (that you waited in line for 3-days before release) is a piece of crap compared to this year's model, so buy me now...again...some more! IPhones just seem disposable to me and at what, a $1,000.00 a piece, they are sure expensive to rotate like underwear...

I wish I could like this more than once! So true.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
I have an iPhone 4S, and I can't afford to wait!!  Got to get something after Christmas; either iPhone 8 or XR, can't decide.

I have the X, my wife has an XS and my son has the XR. Out of the three I really like the XR the most. Screen clarity and battery life are the keys for me with that one. I use my X for work and it takes a beating on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

There is no way I will ever get anything that's related to Google; the most invasive organization on the planet.  And I thought the feds were bad.  I have a gmail account, but haven't used it in years.  I'm afraid to.

Google crawled my wife's desktop hard drive a few years ago.  She had a dentist appointment that she had put in Outlook Calendar.  On the day before her appointment, she got an alert email from Google reminding her of the appointment.

If you go to London, you are constantly being watched and videotaped. Go to major airports and facial recognition cameras are being introduced ( have been). Drive around in your car and police already know all the answers prior to stopping you just by your license plate. 

My point being is we are already in 1984.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

44 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

If you go to London, you are constantly being watched and videotaped. Go to major airports and facial recognition cameras are being introduced ( have been). Drive around in your car and police already know all the answers prior to stopping you just by your license plate. 

My point being is we are already in 1984.

In Orwell's 1984, it was the government that was watching: so are all the examples you listed.  Google is a private company that gets exemptions from the government and apparently no controls on their spying and selling your personal information for their benefit.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In Orwell's 1984, it was the government that was watching: so are all the examples you listed.  Google is a private company that gets exemptions from the government and apparently no controls on their spying and selling your personal information for their benefit.

None to mention they're selling devices like echo that can and do listen in on conversations.

Don't even get me going on the DNA searches. Wait til that info gets hacked.

I embrace technology but the "assistants" and DNA are a bridge too far for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

But isn't that point mute. We're still being watched / monitored. And do we trust the government any more?😁😁

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

None to mention they're selling devices like echo that can and do listen in on conversations.

Don't even get me going on the DNA searches. Wait til that info gets hacked.

I embrace technology but the "assistants" and DNA are a bridge too far for me.

Yeah, the recent Alexa fiasco isn't helping the cause.

But on the other side......"Hey Google, please tell me more about Tony@CIC"

😄😄

Dexterity:

Yeah, the recent Alexa fiasco isn't helping the cause.
But on the other side......"Hey Google, please tell me more about Tony@CIC"

I unplugged her

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, Har in the Hat said:

But isn't that point mute. We're still being watched / monitored. And do we trust the government any more?😁😁

I trust the government a lot more than Google.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:05 PM, PMookie said:

I’m out of warranty by 11 days and the iPhone X camera needs repair.... POS. I’ve had iPhones for years, but is it time for a Samsung??? Thinking about all things: apps, internet usage, photos, streaming, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ditched Apple several years ago. They're not special. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active and it was a great phone. About 3 months ago I decided to upgrade a bit. But this time I bought a Motorola G6. Again... great phone and it was only about $189.00. I'm not a vanity phone user. I just like a good phone with a great display and decently fast. The Moto G6 is all of that. Great camera too.

I don't know what all the necessity is for spending a fortune on a freaking phone. Mookie.... look at several Android phones. Samsung are good but they aren't the only game in town. And as a bonus.... if you go Android you can get the Strokes app. It's the best golf betting/gambling app out there. !!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I trust the government a lot more than Google.

I trust the government to lie to me and steal from me. I don’t have a choice with the government. I think I still have a choice with Google as I can unplug everything if I want to. At least Google can’t send you to jail; they’ll just help the government send you there.

I’m locked into Apple. Both my daughters & all 4 Gkids have Apple phones and FaceTime. FaceTime with Gkids locks us into iPhones forever. War Department and I both have 7 and not changing until problems start.
Son-in-laws are Apple, iPhone also but who cares🤭

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I say get whatever phone you like better.  Ive had iPhones and Ive had android phones and really, once you learn the operating system, its not much different.  One nice thing about android is that you dont have to get 1 brand of phone to stick on an OS that you know.  I just recently got a Samsung S9 and its a wonderful phone.  I actually wanted to get an iPhone X but they were sold out of them at the time and I did the Black Friday deal, so I couldnt really wait for them to get back in stock, so I went with a Samsung instead.  I felt like the display on the iPhone looked a bit better and Im not a huge fan of the curved screen on the Samsung but it wasnt enough to be a deal breaker where I would pass up getting 50% off.

IMO, people get too hung up on what brand of phone they have.  Its just a phone.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I’m locked into Apple. Both my daughters & all 4 Gkids have Apple phones and FaceTime. FaceTime with Gkids locks us into iPhones forever. War Department and I both have 7 and not changing until problems start.

Son-in-laws are Apple, iPhone also but who cares

Ahhh. FaceTime! Might be how I choose as this is how my kids see Grandparents!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm a Samsung guy, but my wife loves her Moto z2 force which is very cool with the mods you can get with it

I don't have iPhone, I've learned to use I've being my teenager and all her freinds are iPhone, that's what the kids want so that's what the parents but lol she always calls beer to fix a problem with get phone and it's like any other phone imho , Google they fix and they are there ha

But I'm still a samsung guy,I love pictures

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ahhh. FaceTime! Might be how I choose as this is how my kids see Grandparents!

FaceTime has allowed us to stay in FL and still not miss the activities in CT. Worth the money for us. Cheaper than plane flights

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

FaceTime has allowed us to stay in FL and still not miss the activities in CT. Worth the money for us. Cheaper than plane flights

Skype is still out there, and a bunch of other apps...

meh, nevermind. Just as I was typing that I reminded myself what a royal PITA it is trying to convince any of my family to load up any sort of app for something like this. I gave up trying to "train" a family that sincerely could care less about technology of any kind. Hell, my wife won't facetime with me because she hates the fact that she can see herself on the screen and hates looking at herself.

I had an IPhone a few years ago, and absolutely hated it.  I'm not an Apple guy to start with.  I love my android and do not plan on switching.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

We use Skype and FaceTime fairly regularly with my daughter and SIL who are in Hobart, Australia. It's a huge plus over just voice calls. We use Skype when we're home (both sides) and FaceTime when on the road.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Every time I see or hear “Hobart” I think of “Hobart College”!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a weak moment yesterday after golf.  Both my wife's phone and my phone are old; just like us.  I've been struggling with my iPhone 4S for several years, and it can no longer be upgraded.  Planned obsolescence!  Thanks to @cksurfdude who sent me a Mophie to extend my battery over a year ago, I've managed to do without upgrading until now.  

We bought the iPhone 8 model.  Newer ones are just too big.  This one is too big, but as Seven of Nine always says: "I'll adapt."  I guess.

THEN we had to spend two hours on the phone to Apple Support because we don't have a 7-year old at home to help us.  We're old!  When we had our info transferred from our old phones to the new phones, text messages could not be transferred.  We were told to just go home and hook up to our computer and transfer them.  Again, we don't have a 7-year old handy.  Since our phones were so old, the Apple guy had to dig to find a different way.  No, we don't use "the Cloud".  Don't ask.  Finally got it though.

What was scary though was that when my wife got in her car this morning, and before she started it to back out of the garage, she got an alert on her phone that the phone can be silenced when driving.  How did they know that she was in her car?  Locations services were off.  Some things about big tech just scares me!

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

How did they know that she was in her car?  Locations services were off.  Some things about big tech just scares me!

probably the phone connected automatically to the cars bluetooth.....so it 'knew' you were in the car.

Personally I know Apple iPhones can be a bit of a pain but I found Android even worse. I had to google to find out how to delete an image from the android device whereas Apple is more intuitive generally.....in my opinion.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Well, I had a weak moment yesterday after golf.  Both my wife's phone and my phone are old; just like us.  I've been struggling with my iPhone 4S for several years, and it can no longer be upgraded.  Planned obsolescence!  Thanks to @cksurfdude who sent me a Mophie to extend my battery over a year ago, I've managed to do without upgrading until now.  

We bought the iPhone 8 model.  Newer ones are just too big.  This one is too big, but as Seven of Nine always says: "I'll adapt."  I guess.

THEN we had to spend two hours on the phone to Apple Support because we don't have a 7-year old at home to help us.  We're old!  When we had our info transferred from our old phones to the new phones, text messages could not be transferred.  We were told to just go home and hook up to our computer and transfer them.  Again, we don't have a 7-year old handy.  Since our phones were so old, the Apple guy had to dig to find a different way.  No, we don't use "the Cloud".  Don't ask.  Finally got it though.

What was scary though was that when my wife got in her car this morning, and before she started it to back out of the garage, she got an alert on her phone that the phone can be silenced when driving.  How did they know that she was in her car?  Locations services were off.  Some things about big tech just scares me!

I'd guess it connected to her car via Bluetooth. If you don't use Bluetooth all of that often, I'd turn it off for privacy sake. Bluetooth can be used as tracking just like location services. 

Just now, perseveringgolfer said:

probably the phone connected automatically to the cars bluetooth.....so it 'knew' you were in the car.

Personally I know Apple iPhones can be a bit of a pain but I found Android even worse. I had to google to find out how to delete an image from the android device whereas Apple is more intuitive generally.....in my opinion.

Beat me to it. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

She never uses Bluetooth; has never paired with her car, but until she gets home from work tonight I can't verify that it wasn't activated when we got the phones.  Thanks guys!

I am an iPhone user for the past 8 years or so, however, a friend of mine showed me his new Samsung phone and the Samsung DeX dock. It was pretty slick that he could hook it up to a monitor and keyboard. It would pretty much replace my desktop computer.

WITB:
pxg-small.jpg 0811 Prototype Driver: (10.5 / s-flex)
image.png.cb4b01bb138fdc7ddf4f5e9396a76d82.png   Sub 70 Pro Tour Fairway 3W (15 / s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0341 Prototype, 5W (18, s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0311, 4-PW, (+1/2" / +2 up) ProjX LZ 6.0
pxg-small.jpg 0311 wedges, 52, 56, 60 degree
TommyArmour.jpg.d3c9da7d74a401e95b625f92af834200.jpg Impact No.3, Putter 35"

Dexterity: Right-handed

On 12/24/2018 at 8:02 PM, GSwag said:

I trust the government to lie to me and steal from me. I don’t have a choice with the government. I think I still have a choice with Google as I can unplug everything if I want to. At least Google can’t send you to jail; they’ll just help the government send you there.

Well said

😆😆

Dexterity:

Turning off location services is kinda a mute point now with so many apps wanting to know your location. This will really limit your options

Dexterity:

Archived