TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shell's Wonderful World of Golf - u watching?

cksurfdude

I know this is repeated on GC on occasion, but I just love watching the game played by some of the classic players back in the day!

A few things pop out at me:

#1. Gene Sarazen's natty suit!

2. The less than museum perfection course and green conditions.

3. The respectfulness of the gallery - eg. no shouting, no insults and .. no ropes!

The instructional tips from the players after was also pretty neat. In the Gary Player - Peter Thomson match, Player explained and demonstrated three different bunker shots, while Thomson have a great tip on setup and aim.

Anyone else watching and enjoying?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Been watching it some too. I enjoy the old days. Not so much the golf as the people. Friendly spirits, snappy dress, sincere dialog, etc.

Hey look... right now old Plaid is getting ready to play. Enjoy.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

HA! Cracking up .. good one!
Times have changed.  I guess that comes with "growing the game".
Yeah... Unfortunate "sign of the times" :(

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Been watching it some too. I enjoy the old days. Not so much the golf as the people. Friendly spirits, snappy dress, sincere dialog, etc.

I’ve been watching. This game has really changed but maybe it will all come full circle. I know some of you guys formerly putted with the flagstick in the hole and that’s in fashion once again. Maybe next year the USGA will finally roll back the ball and re-release the straddle putting style.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Been tuning in a little over the past few days.  Great way to remembers some of the best that played the game.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ve been watching. This game has really changed but maybe it will all come full circle. I know some of you guys formerly putted with the flagstick in the hole and that’s in fashion once again. Maybe next year the USGA will finally roll back the ball and re-release the straddle putting style.
Ha, love it - bring back Slammin Sammy!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Been tuning in a little over the past few days.  Great way to remembers some of the best that played the game.  
Yeah it really is very interesting to watch them hit, and how they play. Gotta love the individual quirky styles they each had!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, Edveed said:

My first impression watching these vintage matches is classic have vs have nots status.Elitism at its best being protrayed here

I suppose it IS elitism.  These are all elite athletes, playing some great golf courses.  I'm pretty sure there's no market for showing non-elite golfers like me and you playing the pretty average courses most of us play.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, Edveed said:

My first impression watching these vintage matches is classic have vs have nots status.Elitism at its best being protrayed here

I hear ya. Kind of like the recent Tiger & Phil match. Justa couple of regular guys out playing for $10,000,000.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Left my GC in Montana 🙁.  I've seen that before and really enjoy the "old school" environment.  The whole look and feel of the game is different... a period of time in golf I would have loved to experience first hand.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’ve never really understood attacking people because they are successful in life. I’ve been around enough successful people to know that success generally comes from hard work and perseverance. In regards to the elitism comment there are the same proportion of jerks among the rich as among the middle class or poor.

Getting us back on track I loved those shows back in the day. I’d say there were three iterations - the vintage ones that included guys like Plaid and Nelson, the classic that was the Nicklaus, Palmer, Player group and the modern - Price, Faldo, Norman.

There was also a CBS golf classic that featured team play back in the late 60’s, early 70’s. I loved that one too,

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

I hear ya. Kind of like the recent Tiger & Phil match. Justa couple of regular guys out playing for $10,000,000.

I didn't watch these all the way to the end every time, but I remember that the check at the end of the matches (the old ones, not the 1990's matches) wasn't very much, maybe something like $5,000.  And that was a nice little supplement to the touring pros at the time.  With the Tiger-Phil match, another 10 million really doesn't make an impact to the finances of either one.

I enjoy the old matches, just to watch the old-style swings, and to see the courses that simply don't get shown on TV.  Pine Valley looks insanely difficult.  I liked seeing Cotton and Sarazen at the Old Course, before the Old Course Hotel was there to clutter the view.  I hope these shows keep running for a little while longer, so I can catch more of them.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've watched most of them in the past, bit hard to watch the blurry footage in these days of HD and Blu Ray but still good to see long drives and laser wedges with really 'old technology'.

Anyone remember the name of the tour pro that played everything with a massive hook? loved watching him hit banana 9 irons into greens but I cant remember his name to search?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

I loved those shows back in the day. I’d say there were three iterations - the vintage ones that included guys like Plaid and Nelson, the classic that was the Nicklaus, Palmer, Player group and the modern - Price, Faldo, Norman.

24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I enjoy the old matches, just to watch the old-style swings, and to see the courses that simply don't get shown on TV.  Pine Valley looks insanely difficult.  I liked seeing Cotton and Sarazen at the Old Course, before the Old Course Hotel was there to clutter the view.

I agree. Especially those from the early to mid 60's. (pre-Nicklaus?)  Those guys played a much different game than most of us have ever experienced. It actually looked fun. The courses were not anything close to the extreme manicures the pros play on today. The money and equipment just wasn't available to do such. Pine Valley looked like a beat down didn't it? I actually thought their shot distances more closely resembled what we produce. Drives of 225-275. Six irons from 165? Eight irons from 150? Putting seemed to be most interesting in all manor. I liked the pace of play these guys exhibited. Walk up, pull a club and hit it. Keep moving. I enjoyed listening to and watching Sarazen and Demaret commentary. Two gentlemen indeed. The galleries were all well dressed and respectful. I could go on and on. There's' so much to learn just by watching a few of these.

I know this is repeated on GC on occasion, but I just love watching the game played by some of the classic players back in the day!

A few things pop out at me:
#1. Gene Sarazen's natty suit!
2. The less than museum perfection course and green conditions.
3. The respectfulness of the gallery - eg. no shouting, no insults and .. no ropes!

The instructional tips from the players after was also pretty neat. In the Gary Player - Peter Thomson match, Player explained and demonstrated three different bunker shots, while Thomson have a great tip on setup and aim.

Anyone else watching and enjoying?

Saw “bits and pieces “ of the shows and I love them. GC did it last year and I hope they keep showing those classics.
BTW, I also noticed the crowd, different era for sure

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’ve never really understood attacking people because they are successful in life. I’ve been around enough successful people to know that success generally comes from hard work and perseverance. In regards to the elitism comment there are the same proportion of jerks among the rich as among the middle class or poor.

Getting us back on track I loved those shows back in the day. I’d say there were three iterations - the vintage ones that included guys like Plaid and Nelson, the classic that was the Nicklaus, Palmer, Player group and the modern - Price, Faldo, Norman.

There was also a CBS golf classic that featured team play back in the late 60’s, early 70’s. I loved that one too.

That was my primary takeaway - the nostalgia factor of the "vintage" players.

I find it enjoyable - and informative - to see, for example, how different but yet how similar in many aspects the golf swing is now to what they were doing then.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I agree. Especially those from the early to mid 60's. (pre-Nicklaus?)  Those guys played a much different game than most of us have ever experienced. It actually looked fun. The courses were not anything close to the extreme manicures the pros play on today. The money and equipment just wasn't available to do such. Pine Valley looked like a beat down didn't it? I actually thought their shot distances more closely resembled what we produce. Drives of 225-275. Six irons from 165? Eight irons from 150? Putting seemed to be most interesting in all manor. I liked the pace of play these guys exhibited. Walk up, pull a club and hit it. Keep moving. I enjoyed listening to and watching Sarazen and Demaret commentary. Two gentlemen indeed. The galleries were all well dressed and respectful. I could go on and on. There's so much to learn just by watching a few of these.

Yes! Great observations and totally agree, especially...
"There's so much to learn just by watching a few of these."

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

20 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I certainly am glad that you enjoy and appreciate the old days.   However, for me, it may be a bit more because I can remember the old days of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.

1 minute ago, TheWahoo said:

I certainly am glad that you enjoy and appreciate the old days.   However, for me, it may be a bit more because I can remember the old days of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.

Same here Wahoo. At just shy of 64 I used to sit around with my Dad and watch these. Getting to relive them brings back happy memories. 🙂

Right now I'm watching Follow the Sun. The Hogan story played by Glen Ford. Ha!

lot's of players in the show... Sneed, Demerit, Middlecoff, etc.

I got started late but it's still on the AMC channel.

13 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Same here Wahoo. At just shy of 64 I used to sit around with my Dad and watch these. Getting to relive them brings back happy memories. 🙂

Yes, watching them does bring back some memories for us seasoned golfers.    To put an additional personal perspective, my first pair of golf shoes had kilties.   While I understand the current use of soft spikes, I kind of miss the clicking sound of the old spikes.

Like me, I assume you remember the tournaments sponsored by entertainers such as Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Andy Williams among others.  

A comment on Plaid’s observation that they hit it the same distances we do now.

250 is average for a scratch golfer today and I think that was about right for top players in the 40’s - 70’s 250-270 tops. That’s significantly longer than I hit it now but I know there are plenty of guys here who hit it that far.

Here’s the thing - they still went low!!! They could shoot in the 60’s on courses that were over 7,000 yards (like Firestone). They worked their way around the course differently, different ball, different conditions, different lofts on their clubs, same great scoring.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes, watching them does bring back some memories for us seasoned golfers.    To put an additional personal perspective, my first pair of golf shoes had kilties.   While I understand the current use of soft spikes, I kind of miss the clicking sound of the old spikes.
Like me, I assume you remember the tournaments sponsored by entertainers such as Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Andy Williams among others.  

Don't forget Dinah Shore (the women get to be nostalgic, too).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

A comment on Plaid’s observation that they hit it the same distances we do now.

250 is average for a scratch golfer today and I think that was about right for top players in the 40’s - 70’s 250-270 tops. That’s significantly longer than I hit it now but I know there are plenty of guys here who hit it that far.

Here’s the thing - they still went low!!! They could shoot in the 60’s on courses that were over 7,000 yards (like Firestone). They worked their way around the course differently, different ball, different conditions, different lofts on their clubs, same great scoring.

Yes! They relied on shot-making and course management skills .. not raw (equipment-derived) distance.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yes! They relied on shot-making and course management skills .. not raw (equipment-derived) distance.

Some of that distance is conditioning - all of it is hard work. Players in by gone days worked hard, too. Pre Nicklaus they had to work regular “jobs” to supplement their incomes.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I wasn’t a player then but do remember the series well.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I've watched most of them in the past, bit hard to watch the blurry footage in these days of HD and Blu Ray but still good to see long drives and laser wedges with really 'old technology'.

Anyone remember the name of the tour pro that played everything with a massive hook? loved watching him hit banana 9 irons into greens but I cant remember his name to search?

Charles Coody sticks in my head, could it be him?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Some of that distance is conditioning - all of it is hard work. Players in by gone days worked hard, too. Pre Nicklaus they had to work regular “jobs” to supplement their incomes.

Oh totally hard work! That's what I was thinking - and I think it was Plaid, maybe?, said something similar earlier - that without a "distance" ball and without "distance" clubs it's very remarkable to me that those old pros could shoot under Par rounds on those less than perfectly manicured tourney courses!
(While still working a "day job"!)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Archived