Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shell's Wonderful World of Golf - u watching?

cksurfdude

4 hours ago, revkev said:

A comment on Plaid’s observation that they hit it the same distances we do now.

250 is average for a scratch golfer today and I think that was about right for top players in the 40’s - 70’s 250-270 tops. That’s significantly longer than I hit it now but I know there are plenty of guys here who hit it that far.

Here’s the thing - they still went low!!! They could shoot in the 60’s on courses that were over 7,000 yards (like Firestone). They worked their way around the course differently, different ball, different conditions, different lofts on their clubs, same great scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That is the amazing thing. How they still shot in the 60’s on long courses not as manicured as today. With inferior equipment 

I often ponder how good Snead-Hogan-Nelson could’ve been with today’s equipment-technology-course conditioning-player fitness.Maybe they would’ve set records that today’s youth of golfers could never beat

When you look back, these guys were very very good at their craft.Maybe better than today’s curcuit ?

great post 

Keep it in the short stuff

On 12/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, cnosil said:

Been tuning in a little over the past few days.  Great way to remembers some of the best that played the game.  

I used to watch reruns of this with my grandfather when I was little.  Man this brings back memories.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:04 PM, cksurfdude said:
On 12/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, cnosil said:
Been tuning in a little over the past few days.  Great way to remembers some of the best that played the game.  

Yeah it really is very interesting to watch them hit, and how they play. Gotta love the individual quirky styles they each had!

It really is cool to watch these guys with swings that were much more their own creations.  It's a good reminder that there's more than one right way to swing a golf club and get the job done.

15 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I suppose it IS elitism.  These are all elite athletes, playing some great golf courses.  I'm pretty sure there's no market for showing non-elite golfers like me and you playing the pretty average courses most of us play.  

I don't know... there are an awful lot of non-elite guys doing YouTube course vlogs, and I seem to watch a fair amount of them.  I especially enjoyed the Strapped mini-series that No Laying Up did, but then again, I'm a sucker for a hidden gem muni.

12 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I've watched most of them in the past, bit hard to watch the blurry footage in these days of HD and Blu Ray but still good to see long drives and laser wedges with really 'old technology'.

Anyone remember the name of the tour pro that played everything with a massive hook? loved watching him hit banana 9 irons into greens but I cant remember his name to search?

Billy Casper?

8 hours ago, TheWahoo said:

Yes, watching them does bring back some memories for us seasoned golfers.    To put an additional personal perspective, my first pair of golf shoes had kilties.   While I understand the current use of soft spikes, I kind of miss the clicking sound of the old spikes.

Like me, I assume you remember the tournaments sponsored by entertainers such as Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Andy Williams among others.  

I miss the sound of spikes on pavement.  That was the sound of golf.  I only had a few years of that before spikeless took over.

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Some of that distance is conditioning - all of it is hard work. Players in by gone days worked hard, too. Pre Nicklaus they had to work regular “jobs” to supplement their incomes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So many of them were club pros in the offseason.  Could you imagine your pro playing the tour?

2 hours ago, Big money said:

That is the amazing thing. How they still shot in the 60’s on long courses not as manicured as today. With inferior equipment 

I often ponder how good Snead-Hogan-Nelson could’ve been with today’s equipment-technology-course conditioning-player fitness.Maybe they would’ve set records that today’s youth of golfers could never beat

When you look back, these guys were very very good at their craft.Maybe better than today’s curcuit ?

great post 

Nelson said the greatest technological advancement in golf was the lawn mower.  I don't disagree with him.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Billy Casper?

yes! thats him, thanks.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Follow The Sun is on again this morning on the FXM channel. I've missed the start of it again. The announcer just called Hogan the Texas Iceberg. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I often ponder how good Snead-Hogan-Nelson could’ve been with today’s equipment-technology-course conditioning-player fitness. Maybe they would’ve set records that today’s youth of golfers could never beat
When you look back, these guys were very very good at their craft. Maybe better than today’s circuit?
great post 

Maybe! Though we'll never know it is fun to speculate about!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived