TESTERS WANTED! ×

What Is The BEST Driver You Have Ever Hit?

GolfSpy_X

After the death of Persimmon, it would be

1)Taylor Made Superquad

2)Titliest 909 D2

3)Adams 9064LS

Adams 9064LS 10.5 R.I.P. Reg. gold eye

Cleveland DST 3 wood (17) Redboard Reg.

Clevelamd DST 7 wood Redboard Reg.

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW Nippon Pro 950 R + 1/2"

Scratch 53* DS

Scratch 60* SS

Cleveland Classic 2 Putter 35

Ping Anser Putter

Scotty Studio Select Newport ( for trade )

Kinda looking for some Srixon 701 Tour heads

Addias Stand bag

Ping USA Staff bag

Srixon TriSpeed Tour & Titleist Pro V1X & Srixon Z Star X

• SPY VIP

Not many drivers stay in my bag that long but the last 2 were both an Adams...the 9015D and the 9064 is still there and don;t see it changing too soon.

#TruthDigest

The best driver I've ever hit is the one I got fit for a month ago. A Ping i15.

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

Ping Rapture V1 w/ Aldila By You shaft has been in the bag for the longest. I also have a 905T w/ a Prolite shaft. It is a good back up.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

975J

905s

9015d

9032ls Tour Issued

Best ones I've hit in progression. They all found a spot in my bag for a while. I'm debating doing a throwback bag with a steel shafted 975J, DCI 990's, 975 fairways and the TeI3 Longneck.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

There have been a lot of them...but which driver was the best you have ever hit?

My previous driver which I used for over 6 years was a King Cobra SS 350 but I had to find a replacement recently when I realised a serious drop in performance in the driver. Only then I realised the driver face must have flattend over the years and lost much of it's trampoline effect. Fact that it remained in my bag for so long was because I could not find any modern driver that performed substantially better in term of distance and workability.

So I got a TM Superfast which was a hook machine, before I got my current Cleveland DST Tour. What's good about DST Tour is it doesn't hook for me, it hits a nice fade by default, but I can draw it slightly, never in danger of the left side. It is a driver / shaft combo that begs to be hit hard, unlike many of the over sized/length drivers in the market, that I had to baby it to avoid hooking problems.

IMHO DST Tour is the best driver for me at this point in time.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

After the death of my old Power-Bilt persimmon My Hogan CS-5 8 degree Aldila 70 stiff. I have carried it for about 4 years now I have tried others but I always come back. I do have a Wishon 949 MC and i have tried several combinations of shafts in it but it does not hit as well as the Hogan to me. When the Hogan dies or cracks the Wishon will probably be my gamer.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Have you hit the G15?

I have hit the G15, and I did notice the face was a little hotter, but it was also comin off with too much spin and too much launch. Maybe if PING made the 7.5 head available to the public, it would be my gamer, but then again I love how workable the i15 is, which is something that was lost a little bit in the G15.

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

My Taylormade R510-DF Prototype and the Callaway FT-9 TA that I am playing now are my two favs. But if I had to say one it would be my Taylormade R510-DF Prototype all time biggest yardage gains by far of any driver I ever played period.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I gamed a Mizuno MX560 last year. Tried a Titleist 909d2, Cobra ZL and was fitted for a Ping G15. I choose the G15 to be my gamer this year.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

• SPY VIP

I think I still have one of those Cobra 350's somewhere around here...that thing won me many of long drive contests....solid driver.

My previous driver which I used for over 6 years was a King Cobra SS 350 but I had to find a replacement recently when I realised a serious drop in performance in the driver. Only then I realised the driver face must have flattend over the years and lost much of it's trampoline effect. Fact that it remained in my bag for so long was because I could not find any modern driver that performed substantially better in term of distance and workability.

So I got a TM Superfast which was a hook machine, before I got my current Cleveland DST Tour. What's good about DST Tour is it doesn't hook for me, it hits a nice fade by default, but I can draw it slightly, never in danger of the left side. It is a driver / shaft combo that begs to be hit hard, unlike many of the over sized/length drivers in the market, that I had to baby it to avoid hooking problems.

IMHO DST Tour is the best driver for me at this point in time.

#TruthDigest

Not sure what is it about the SS350, the weight is just right, and the sweet spot is so easy to find. But I'm getting dialed in to my new Cleveland DST Tour. I suspect as long as the driver is well fitted to your swing, any driver can be just as good as others.

But just like putters we eventually develop a love or hate relationship with it.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

There was this cab driver in Vegas that tried to take me through the tunnel, after I specifically asked NOT to be "tunneled"......

That was by far the best "Driver" is ever "hit"..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

TaylorMade - 580XD TP with a Harmon Tour Design

http://www.putterlounge.com - Website
sales@putterlounge.com

What is in my bag
Putter(s)
Carbon Ringo - 1/4 Long Neck

Irons
Titleist 660 Forged - Matte Black Oxide
KBS Tour X
IOMIC STICKY 2.3 Red / Black

Mizuno MP-32 Asian Model - Satin Chrome
KBS Tour X
IOMIC X-EVOLUTION Navy / Sky Blue

Wedges
Vokey SM5 58 / 54 /50 - Obsidian Finish

Woods
RBZ Tour 3 Wood
Aldila RIP Gamma 

TaylorMade SLDR
Accra Tour Z M4 70 Gram

• SPY VIP

Not an easy question...

Loved the Titleist 905T, but not the most forgiving (especially for a borderline hacker like me).

Loved the TM SuperQuad, but a ballooner no matter which shaft or head (loft) I tried.

Loved the distance and accuracy of the Nike VR STR8-FIT, but could never quite get past the sound and feel.

Currently loving everything about the Adams 9064LS, but I'm probably going to try a different shaft in it to see if I can bring the launch angle down just a hair.

2011 is here, which means lots of new drivers to choose from, but I think the fact that both MyGolfSpy and myself (two guys who could be playing just about anything), are both gaming the 9064LS tells you just about everything you need to know about that club.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I currently have two at this moment....

1. PowerBilt Air Force One, 10.5 degree w/regular fujikura shaft

2. Cobra S2, 10.5 degree with regular fujikura Fit-On shaft

Both are terrific drivers.......I alternate them based upon my current swing path. I use the Powerbilt when I feel confident and am not lagging the clubhead too much. I go to the Cobra if my swing path is lagging because i have it set up for draw and it will straighten out. The reason for the two is that I have a weak left wrist with a steel plate, 13 screws and 1 inch from my hip to make it the right length. There are times when I just can't get the clubhead around straight enough to impact square with the ball. On a good day, the Powerbilt is way much longer.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have the 2010 Adams 9064LS but have recently gone back to fool around with the 2004 Callaway Big Bertha 454 (my favorite driver in that 2004-2005 period).

The Adams may be a touch more forgiving, but the BB 454 goes just as far - or farther - on a good swing. Definitely lower launch (shafted with the Grafalloy ProLite 35), lower spin and more roll compared to the Adams with my particular swing.

I did like the Titleist 909 DCOMP a lot, but the stock Matrix XCON5 - "Made for Titleist" - is borderline crap, in my opinion. I may try to find another and put in an aftermarket shaft since I do think the head is one of the most forgiving out there.

I had made a previous post about my Hogan and Wishon drivers. Today was very cold and boring down here so after church I went down to my storage faculity looking for something to piddle with and found 2 of my old Golf Gear Tsunami drivers. I pulled out the one I hit a lot an 8 degree tour issue with a Fujikura shaft. As I remember it I used to hit it pretty good. i think I put it up because I hit the Hogan more consistant. If it ever warms up down here I plan to pull it out and try it again what the heck right?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I had made a previous post about my Hogan and Wishon drivers. Today was very cold and boring down here so after church I went down to my storage faculity looking for something to piddle with and found 2 of my old Golf Gear Tsunami drivers. I pulled out the one I hit a lot an 8 degree tour issue with a Fujikura shaft. As I remember it I used to hit it pretty good. i think I put it up because I hit the Hogan more consistant. If it ever warms up down here I plan to pull it out and try it again what the heck right?

Warms up in SC heck I'd die to have your temps compared to PA winter temps. :lol: sorry little off topic but when I see you complaining about South Carolina winter temps it just made me laugh. It's got to be atleast 20-30 degrees warmer then Pa. and we're getting ready for a big big snow fall on Tues,Wed 11th and 12th calling for BIG WINTER STORM, I'll be lucky to see green grass or anything other then snow for about a month. We just keep getting snow and more snow. OK Back To Topic!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I really like this question, though my answers will be according to time, cause each driver I had ideally was the best during its own time frame.

Founders Club THE JUDGE! 10.5* s400 shaft 46" - used to smoke this bad boy with the old tour balatas

club broke went on to callaway big bertha 10* - never really loved it, actually went back to a macgregor persimmon for a while.

Then i found a good streak of drivers/shaft combos starting in 1998 -

BIAM 9* 250CC maroon head with a grafalloy prolite 45+ maroon shaft spined with a lightweight golf pride grip 46"- one helluva driver - some jackass tried it and snapped it.

replaced it with another BIAM 9* 250cc 48" with a special black nitrate hardening finish to it, grafalloy prolite 45+ black shaft spined again - better than the first . another jackass tried it and snapped it at the hosel.

KZG 9* PFT candy apple red head obnoxiously LOUD with a fujikura pro vista 60 48". imploded the face on it eventually.

upgraded to a KZG RBT 9* with a grafalloy blue - stunk.

followed that with a KZG Gemini dual face 9* driver with an aldila NV 60 X 48" - this was an awesome driver, actually hit one 406 yards with it at State open and cracked a weld on it -

borrowed a friends Taylormade QUAD TP tour model head with an accra axiv blue shaft in it. ROCKED IT but it wasnt mine so eventually gave it back.

got fitted for a R7 Limited TP 9* with a diamana blue board 75x in it - loved it till i couldnt turn it over any more (i think the shaft got weaker somehow on it)

Got a shaft from MGS to review the UST MAMIYA ATTAS 7X shaft - 46" put it in a Taylormade R9 TP - neutral face set up, and its got a great height. Still love this shaft (but think its softened up over the course of 6 months) - CURRENT BEST

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Warms up in SC heck I'd die to have your temps compared to PA winter temps. :D sorry little off topic but when I see you complaining about South Carolina winter temps it just made me laugh. It's got to be atleast 20-30 degrees warmer then Pa. and we're getting ready for a big big snow fall on Tues,Wed 11th and 12th calling for BIG WINTER STORM, I'll be lucky to see green grass or anything other then snow for about a month. We just keep getting snow and more snow. OK Back To Topic!

Well we have had freezing rain sleet and snow today for the second time this year. It has been so bad down here this year that some of your fellow Pensy snowbirds are not playing and saying "that they thought they had left the bad weather up north" It has been colder and wetter than usual the last 2 winters down here

G

Archived