Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Jim Suttie: How to hit the best wedges of your life

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/jan/04/jim-suttie-how-hit-best-wedges-your-life/

NAPLES — One thing for sure is that great wedge players can score. They can hit an errant second shot, and still know that they can make par because of their ability to hit their wedge close.

Most players carry at least three wedges and sometimes four. These include: (1) A pitching wedge; (2) A gap wedge (52 degrees); (3) A sand wedge (56 degrees); and (4) A lob wedge (60 degrees).

The sand wedge should have the most bounce on the flange of the club, because you will need to use it out of the sand and in the heavy rough around the green. I would probably recommend at least 12 degrees of bounce for the sand wedge, and eight or less with the other wedges.

It it also necessary to have a gap wedge to narrow the gap between the 48-degree pitching wedge and the 56-degree sand wedge. Having too much bounce on your wedges on tight lies like we get in Florida will just cause your club to bounce into the ball, and a thin or fat shot will be the result. All of the great wedge players have at least three distances they can rely on with each club. This will give you a minimum of 12 different distances.

Now, what is the easiest technique for hitting the wedges close? First and foremost, keep it simple.

The wedge swing is a little different than the full swing. With that in mind, think of the full swing as a total body motion, where the wedge swing is more of an upper body motion. The wedge swing is a shorter, lower, and more arms-to-body-connected type of motion. Set up with the ball in the middle of the stance, with the weight slightly on the left leg at the start. On the backswing, try to stay as centered as possible as you rotate your shoulders and hips equal amounts.

Keep the swing short and the arms connected to the body as you go back. Allow your turning upper body to control your downswing. Try to keep the hands and arms somewhat passive, and let them respond to the turn of your body coming through. The arms and body come through together as the body turn creates the acceleration of the clubhead. Think "short back" and "turn through."

Your distance will be controlled by the length of your backswing, and the speed of your downswing turning action with your body. Of course, there is no substitute for practicing these shots from different distances and different lies with all of your different wedges.

Look at all of the great wedge players, and notice that they take little or no divot after hitting the ball, and they never decelerate the clubhead coming through. To do this, the body has to be in charge of the downswing. Keep the hands passive through the entire motion, with a minimum amount of wrist cocking and uncocking. To ensure good contact, practice with a tee three inches in front of your ball. Hit your ball first and then the tee. Soon your wedge play will excel.

Dr. Jim Suttie, 2000 National PGA Teacher of the Year, is available for lessons at Suttie Golf at The Club at Twin Eagles North Naples and Cog Hill Golf Club, Lemont, Ill. Suttie is a Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher and rated No. 15 in Golf Digest Best 50 Teachers. Suttie also is the director of golf operations for the FGCU golf program. For lessons and program information call 800-765-3838 or [email protected]

© 2011 Naples Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I think I disagree with Jim on this one. I think that the easiest way to hit pitch shots is with the largest muscles, the legs and torso. When I try to use my arms and shoulders too much my contact is all over the place. I always try to start the downswing with my hips, and I seem to make much better contact that way.

I think I disagree with Jim on this one. I think that the easiest way to hit pitch shots is with the largest muscles, the legs and torso. When I try to use my arms and shoulders too much my contact is all over the place. I always try to start the downswing with my hips, and I seem to make much better contact that way.

I completely agree with Jamo here. When I use my arms and shoulders I tend to come a little over the top and tend to hit it a little off the toe. Now, with that being said, I use just my arms and shoulders on say anything inside of 20yds. Anything outside of 20yds and I use my normal swing, just make it smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived