Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Digest - Responds To MyGolfSpy Article

GolfSpy_X

Its obvious its never going to change, and mayor OEMs will always be there on top. In some way I "partly" agree, because there is something to consider: availability. For example, if the 9999999 Wishon Driver got in the top of the list I still wouldn't be able to try it since the closest Wishon Clubmaker is about 500 miles from my place! Lots of people outside the U.S. don't have access to lesser brands which is a mayor drawback and a PITA. I use a TEE fairway, W/S Irons and Nakashima Wedges and I had to buy everything in the U.S. and mail it to Australia!!!!

Anyway, using OEM brands or not, the problem is not even the equipment reviewed but the review itself. This has already been said 100 times in this post, but I'll just go over it again :D. If I had to sit down and think about buying a driver, what difference would it make if EVERY piece of equipment in the list is a gold or silver medalist? Is the driver with four stars in every category but one with four and a half better or more suited for my game than the one with four stars in every category? It is stupid really. Why not rank them Gold, Silver Bronze, or 1, 2, 3, 4 or a score in a 1-10 basis?

If I was a Callaway fan, I would still not know if I need to buy an Octane or a RAZR driver because I realy don't know what to think of any of them.

The worst part is the PROS/CONS section. There is never anything bad said about any of them! Some have comments like "Having a purple grip won't suit everybody's eyes" or "The lack of a 6 degree Driver will make Bubba Watson feel unconfortable". Come on GD! Get serious!

It's just basicly now a filler piece that they need to forget about and get focused on the human aspect of golf.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Wishon made a similar statement about advertising dollars driving the Hot Lists in his book "The Right Sticks". He doesn't delve too deep, it's only a sentence or two long. I'm going to take his word for it, since he hasn't been wrong about too much in my eyes. Being a former contributor to GD helps me believe him, as well.

I have VERY little respect for Mike Stachura. Some of you probably have already guessed that by some of my previous posts. So, for all of those who don't know, I'm going to say it again: in my humble opinion, he's a jack@ss. In a nutshell, he said in an older "Bomb and Gouge" blog post that anyone not playing with the latest and greatest (at least, no more than two years old) equipment is only "pretending" to golf. Yeah, I took offense to that. Physics drives a golf swing (not the name on the soleplate, as he'd have you believe). No matter if you spent $100 or $700 for your new and shiny driver; or if you bought it in 2006 or 2011, if you can't swing it more than 105 mph, it'll NEVER go 300 yards... which, by the way, isn't that where the Average Joe/Jane should be at, with all the new technologies/marketing gibberish?

The demand category is an absolute joke. It negatively affects Mizuno every year except in the Iron reviews. I have had Mizuno wedges for several years now, every bit as good as a Scratch, or Vokey. I know because I have a TVD-60 CC in the bag with a 52 and 56 degree MPT-11. I prefer the feel of forged, some prefer the feel of cast. From a quality standpoint, I find it hard to believe that one is any better than the other yet every year Mizuno gets a "Silver" and Vokey gets a "Gold." I am starting to think that this is a load of crap. MGS, GolfWRX and the others are on to something, like GD not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you.

Tom Wishon made a similar statement about advertising dollars driving the Hot Lists in his book "The Right Sticks". He doesn't delve too deep, it's only a sentence or two long. I'm going to take his word for it, since he hasn't been wrong about too much in my eyes. Being a former contributor to GD helps me believe him, as well.

I have VERY little respect for Mike Stachura. Some of you probably have already guessed that by some of my previous posts. So, for all of those who don't know, I'm going to say it again: in my humble opinion, he's a jack@ss. In a nutshell, he said in an older "Bomb and Gouge" blog post that anyone not playing with the latest and greatest (at least, no more than two years old) equipment is only "pretending" to golf. Yeah, I took offense to that. Physics drives a golf swing (not the name on the soleplate, as he'd have you believe). No matter if you spent $100 or $700 for your new and shiny driver; or if you bought it in 2006 or 2011, if you can't swing it more than 105 mph, it'll NEVER go 300 yards... which, by the way, isn't that where the Average Joe/Jane should be at, with all the new technologies/marketing gibberish?

By that logic, Tiger Woods going back to playing his old forged blades, arguably based on the MP-14, is pretending to play golf. Bubba Watson, playing Ping S-59s, is pretending to play golf. Mark Calcaveccia playing Ping Eye-2, he is pretending to bowl, I mean golf. Last time I looked, Stachura wasn't high on any leaderboard. Money talks.....

By that logic, Tiger Woods going back to playing his old forged blades, arguably based on the MP-14, is pretending to play golf. Bubba Watson, playing Ping S-59s, is pretending to play golf. Mark Calcaveccia playing Ping Eye-2, he is pretending to bowl, I mean golf. Last time I looked, Stachura wasn't high on any leaderboard. Money talks.....

Right. It's completely absurd.

Isn't it E. Michael Stachura, or am I thinking of a different person? If it's the same guy, he's an ass. They did an NBC piece last year with the Obsolete List, and he just really came off as a jerk. Really, E. Mike, my MP 57s are outdated? I bet those 58s will give me another 10 yards.

Isn't it E. Michael Stachura, or am I thinking of a different person? If it's the same guy, he's an ass. They did an NBC piece last year with the Obsolete List, and he just really came off as a jerk. Really, E. Mike, my MP 57s are outdated? I bet those 58s will give me another 10 yards.

No, Jamo, it's Mike Stachura ("Gouge") and E. Michael Johnson ("Bomb"). Oh, yeah... that "Obsolete List" stuck a nerve with me, as well...

I like to gamble so I would like Mr Stachura bring his self down here to the beach with some cash and letme beat him with my 30 year old set of irons and my 5 year old driver not to mention my 10 year old 3 wood and35 year old putter. Who is he anyhow??

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I like to gamble so I would like Mr Stachura bring his self down here to the beach with some cash and letme beat him with my 30 year old set of irons and my 5 year old driver not to mention my 10 year old 3 wood and35 year old putter. Who is he anyhow??

He's like us, only he's on Golf Digest's payroll. I'm not much of a gambler, but that's one bet I would take.

Archived