Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Trimming a Shaft

I am going to trim a few of the longer clubs in the bag just a little. I was wondering what the maximum is for trimming a club down without having to do a whole new shaft? I have one club that I really need to take 2" off to get to the length I am looking for. Is that to much? I have researched the question and can't find any real clear answer.

• SPY VIP

Sort of depends whether or not you're talking about a raw shaft, or one that's already in a club. It sounds like you're talking about the latter. One of the club makers here could probably give you specifics about how much is too much, but two things to keep in mind - assuming you're trimming from the butt end - you're going to decrease swing weight, and soften the flex.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Flexural stiffness isn't going to be effected enough for you to notice it by butt trimming. The butt section of a shaft is where you trim to length. Will the stiffness be effected by butt trimming, sure, a little. The way to effect flex is to tip trim. Why? The tip is the weakest part of the shaft where the butt is the strongest part of the shaft (in terms of stiffness). Trimming from the weak end increases flex much faster than trimming from the strongest end. It should still play fairly similar. If we're talking a driver, you might effect it 10 CPM's, which isn't enough to take it out of the same flex category as it's currently in. There also is no standard CPM for each flex, just a range. If you're on the upper end or lower end of the range of CPM numbers, you could possibly barely jump from one flex to another, but it's not very likely.

Butt CPM ranges for graphite driver shafts:

L 220-254

A 219-257

R 216-277

S 235-295

X 261-308

What you will effect, significantly, though is the club's swingweight. For every half inch of length, you will effect it 3 swingweight points. At 2 inches, you're talking 12 swingweight points. The club will be balanced significantly differently than before the trimming. You'll end up having to add weight to get it back in balance to like it is now, and a lot of weight at that, depending on how you add it. 5 grams to the grip would be 1 swingweight point whereas 2 grams of clubhead weight would be 1 point. Then there's the fact that 2 inches of length removed will make the club play 4 degrees flatter, which increases the swingweight 1 point. So you've got some tweaking to do to get it back in balance.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 year later...

There's also the parallel tip section to consider. Generally, you need at least 1.5" to keep the shaft from breaking easily- especially graphite shafts. The PTS is where the tip is "beefed up" to withstand the forces of impact. Lose this and you could see your clubhead flying down the fairway. Not only that, there isn't a guarantee that going past this point will allow the shaft to seat into the hosel fully, since the diameter of the shaft can be larger than .335 (or .350/.355/.370, depending on the model in question). You should never tip-trim a taper-tip model. Check out the GolfWorks, Hireko, or Golfsmith's websites- or contact the manufacturer directly- to find the PTS for your shafts before getting too involved in this.

I put a new shaft in my driver a couple of months ago and left it raw length. I was hitting it pretty well. Then change shafts two weeks ago to one with too much spin and too high. When I went back I trimmed the first one 1 1/2 inches now much stiffer. Less spin better control and 15 yards average more.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

There's also the parallel tip section to consider. Generally, you need at least 1.5" to keep the shaft from breaking easily- especially graphite shafts. The PTS is where the tip is "beefed up" to withstand the forces of impact. Lose this and you could see your clubhead flying down the fairway. Not only that, there isn't a guarantee that going past this point will allow the shaft to seat into the hosel fully, since the diameter of the shaft can be larger than .335 (or .350/.355/.370, depending on the model in question). You should never tip-trim a taper-tip model. Check out the GolfWorks, Hireko, or Golfsmith's websites- or contact the manufacturer directly- to find the PTS for your shafts before getting too involved in this.

Why should you never tip trim a taper tip? The guys from Titleist and Nike in the vans did it for years for some dude named Eldrick.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 months later...

Why should you never tip trim a taper tip? The guys from Titleist and Nike in the vans did it for years for some dude named Eldrick.

Where did you get that information from? If you could provide a link how they were able to tip trim a tapered shaft that would make the outside diameter larger than the hosel it was originally created for,and then some how fit INSIDE it, I'd love to see how they did it.

Thanks!

NO tour irons are tapered.....none.

The reason irons are tapered is for mass assembly reasons...it takes less time to slip a previously, mass produced shaft into a tapered hosel than it does creating a parallel shaft/hosel and taking the time to meet specs......all custom and pro clubs / shafts and hosels are parallel.

I had read about the swingweights changing if you shorten your shaft. So, when I cut an 1 1/2" off my driver I played around with different weights, but ended up liking the way it was with no weight change. Go figure. I suppose it's a personal thing...what feels good to one might be intolerable to another.

Anyway....I love the shorter shaft and ended up cutting an inch off my 3 & 5 wood too.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Where did you get that information from? If you could provide a link how they were able to tip trim a tapered shaft that would make the outside diameter larger than the hosel it was originally created for,and then some how fit INSIDE it, I'd love to see how they did it.

Thanks!

NO tour irons are tapered.....none.

The reason irons are tapered is for mass assembly reasons...it takes less time to slip a previously, mass produced shaft into a tapered hosel than it does creating a parallel shaft/hosel and taking the time to meet specs......all custom and pro clubs / shafts and hosels are parallel.

You can tip any taper tip shaft up to 1/2".

Tiger has spoken many times in interviews that his shafts are X100's tipped 1/4" (even at a Nike Q&A). The you can't tip taper tipped shafts assumption is a myth. Ask anyone on any tour can. They can be tipped up to 1/2" due to the PTS. As long as you have a minimum 1" insertion depth, you're perfectly fine tipping them. But they'll seat all the way to the base of the hosel when tipped 1/2". Tiger has played the same shafts since age 14 in his irons, X100's tipped 1/4" to have the same flex as DG X700's but feel smoother instead of boardy like the X7's do. Theyre bent 1 degree weak and 1 degree up, and are almost standard length (his lengths are weird, the spec sheet off the Nike van is out there). It's about like the myth that his clubs are Miura forged. No, his Titleist 681's were Hoffman forgings and his Nike forged blades were Endo forged.

Also, nearly no pro uses a .370 head. They all use .355T heads, again ask anyone on any tour van. Why do you think they had to ream Furyk's heads to accept the .370 steelfibers? Tiger's personal Tiger Slam irons that were sold were shafted with DG x100's tipped 1/4" and built to D4 Swingweights.

They all use .355 as a base now because it's easier to build their clubs due to the discreet lengths of the shafts. Next time you attend a tournament, tour a few of the tour trailers. Ask them about the heads and such and their hosels, tipping taper tipped shafts, etc. They're not hard to access, I've spoken with people on different vans several times, bought heads direct off of the tour van (the set in my bag is direct off of the van and has never been sold to the public, guess what, they're .355T hosels). They use taper tip hosel heads because if you've ever seen the volume of work that comes through, you'd know why they don't have time to trim 8 parallel shafts to tipping specs then build then butt trim.

Or just fire off an email to Joe Kwok, he's worked with a ton of touring pros as well as being one of the best club builders in the country and ask him about tipping a taper tipped shaft. Or ask Tom Wishon or Ralph Maltby, they'll tell you the same thing. Tipping taper tipped shafts is perfectly acceptable and common practice. It's the same as tipping any other shaft, taking it to a stiffer flex. 1/2" tipping is the same as hardstepping once.

In The Bag

• 3 years later...

So if I soft step a True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 4 iron shaft measuring 39.5 inches into a 5 iron head and trim the tip 1/2 inches ( hard stepping one time) will I effectively come close to the X100 playing flex characteristics of a True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 5 iron shaft measuring 39 inches?  Will that tip trimmed shaft seat all the way down into a .370 hosel?  I removed a KBS C Taper Lite 105 gram X100 shaft from the iron and that shaft was inserted 1.02 inches into the .370 hosel.

Archived