Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

BIG STU Whats in my bag

OK Moecat helped me so here goes

Driver Hogan CS-5 Aldila NVS 70S 8 degree

3 Wood Callaway Steelhead UST 65 Gold X Stiff

7 Wood Taylor Made V Steel Taylor X Stiff

Irons 3 thru PW Macgregor VIP (1970 vintage) Macgregor steel X stiff

56 Wedge Hogan W grind (1980 vintage)

60 Wedge Hogan Special (1980s vintage tour issue)

Putter Ping Anser (1974 vintage had since new)

Bag Infiniti Staff Bag

Backup Irons Macgregor blackface 3 thru PW (1965 vintage) rifle 6.0 steel safts

Backup driver Wishon 949 UST 65 Gold X stiff 10 Degree

Backup putter TP Mills #9

Other backup irons Power Bilt Scotch Blades PB stiff steel shafts,Wilson FG-17 tour blades TT S-300u steel ( speced and bought new in 1979)

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sweet I love the vintage sticks.They dont make em like that anymore.I got a buddy that will only play vintage clubs.I think thats cool

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Sweet I love the vintage sticks.They dont make em like that anymore.I got a buddy that will only play vintage clubs.I think thats cool

Thanks Dave My friend that I worked for at the golf shop has accused me of playing "junk" for years.I always beat him though. I have a lot of old stuff. On another forum a few years ago we were going to put together a retro tournament but it never got off the ground. I have the following set put together for it

Driver 1950 Macgregor MT-1 persimmon

4 Wood 1960s vintage Louisville H&B

Irons 3 thru PW 1940s Tommy Armour silver Scotts with olive drab colored steel TT shafts

Sand Wedge 1953 Spalding ( Authencitated used by Billy Joe Patton in the 1954 Masters)

Putter Retro Bobby Jones "Calamity Jane"

Bag Leather 1950s style given to me by a friend

I have played the antiques on a local executive course a couple of times along with some balata balls that I have. The par is 58 I have shot 60 and 61 with this setup.With my normal gamers I shoot from 54 to 58 sometimes higher. The old clubs are a blast and when you mis hit them they will tell on you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 months later...

UPDATE-- The Hogan CS-5 has been replaced. I finally got the Wishon dialed in on the range last weekend. Specs are as follows

Wishon 949 MC 9* loft

Shaft UST Pro Force Gold 65 X-stiff (same flex and frequency as Cally 3 wood)

Swing weight D-5

G

Very nice! It's hard to let go of a putter you really like... unless, of course, you have an idiot attack and run it over with your car...

You are the epitome of what I try to talk about: you prove Golf Digest's equipment "editor" Mike Stachura wrong... how can a "pretender", which by his definition is what you'd be, attain a 5 handicap? Now I have that McDonald's tag line in my head: "dah-dah dah dah dah... I'm lovin' it". :lol:

meh...

yes and no...

if you're a 5 handicapper with equipment that is vintage, how would you score with new, hot-off-the-face, little-bit-of-forgiveness-thrown-in, Titleist 710 MBs with a shaft that is entirely fitted and right for you?

golf is more than shooting a score, and the satisfaction of defying your peers and playing well with such equipment probably outwieghs any satisfaction you'd get in shaving a few strokes with new gear. the obvious pride in your clubs suggests this.

i think it proves that not everyone needs the latest equipment to enjoy their golf. I dont see how it suggests that the hot lists etc are all wrong - any player would benefit (score-wise) from the right clubs in their hands.

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

meh...

yes and no...

if you're a 5 handicapper with equipment that is vintage, how would you score with new, hot-off-the-face, little-bit-of-forgiveness-thrown-in, Titleist 710 MBs with a shaft that is entirely fitted and right for you?

golf is more than shooting a score, and the satisfaction of defying your peers and playing well with such equipment probably outwieghs any satisfaction you'd get in shaving a few strokes with new gear. the obvious pride in your clubs suggests this.

i think it proves that not everyone needs the latest equipment to enjoy their golf. I dont see how it suggests that the hot lists etc are all wrong - any player would benefit (score-wise) from the right clubs in their hands.

Not what I was getting at... and I think we're saying the same things differently. Stachura claimed that anyone gaming equipment 2+ years or older (back in '09) was "pretending" to golf. I took exception to that, and let him know. Big Stu, along with a good friend of mine, are the examples I've been using all this time to prove him wrong. It takes a LOT of skill to get to a single digit handicap. On top of that, he's doing it with vintage gear. As skilled as he is, how could he be "pretending" to golf, which is what he'd be doing per Stachura's statement? It isn't about the ad-driven "Hot" Lists (which is a whole different can of worms), it's about someone so pretentious- Stachura- being wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Pete In answer to your question. I have tried some of the newer hot off the face irons and I do not like them. I built a set of Infiniti 422 irons last year. For me the face is too hot. I absolutely cannot control the ball off of them or work them. I do not have any feel with them and absolutely no distance control. I am basically a "feel" player and those and other modern irons do not work for me. I am fortunately in a position that I can try a lot of new clubs and I have and none of them work for me. My friend that used to run a golf shop has had this arguement for years with me. I also do not like really hot face drivers with light shafts. That is just me as it has been said many times different strokes for different folks.

G

Love to see the Hogan stuff still in play. I have the special wedge set, 52/56/60 in BeCu, love them.

The BeCu stuff is nice but if you live and play here at the beach like I do they will wear out quickly. From what I have read on here club shops will not regroove them due to hazadorus dust etc. I have quite a few old Hogan wedges including a couple of "Equalizer" pitching wedges.

G

• 2 months later...

Update It has been a wile since I have been on here due to business picking up. I got 2 new Vokey legal groove wedges a couple of weeks ago in 55* and 58* I also got a free Adams Spedline driver head 10* loft. I got the head for nothing after a guy beat the heck out of it. I cmpletely stripped it down to the metal and refinished it in Chevrolet gray metallic paint also installed a UST V-2 shaft in stiff flex. It was a little light for me (C8) so I used lead tape and got it to my specs (D3). I had hit it on the range and it hit good. I finally played today for the first time this year. The Adams was not as long for me as my beloved Hogan or Wishon butI had a lot more control and my off hits were forgiving and I could work the ball great. The vokeys worked well also. I shot 75 on a 6800 yd course from the back tees. Not bad for the first time out this season. I am giving up about 5 to 7 yds with the Adams but I think the benefits are worth it

G

Good playing, Especially for the first time out this year...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 2 months later...

Very nice! It's hard to let go of a putter you really like... unless, of course, you have an idiot attack and run it over with your car...

You are the epitome of what I try to talk about: you prove Golf Digest's equipment "editor" Mike Stachura wrong... how can a "pretender", which by his definition is what you'd be, attain a 5 handicap? Now I have that McDonald's tag line in my head: "dah-dah dah dah dah... I'm lovin' it". :lol:

I have not had time lately but when reviewing this i figgure Mr Stachura can bring his new clubs and pocketbook down here to the beach and me and my antique clubs will relieve him of his bankroll

G

Good playing, Especially for the first time out this year...

Well it got hot and dry here this year so I pulled out the old 8* Hogan so I can hitthe bullet screamer ( Tiger calls it the stinger) I always end up with the old Hogan in the bag and the old Anser

G

• 2 months later...

Well here I am re upping again. I done some horse trading and obtained a set of MacGregor Clokorom blades in pristine shape 3I thru PW. some of you are gonna gasp I traded a set of Infiniti 422s for them. The Macs had been reshafted with new S300 shafts and Maturamya grips. I did manage to take them out last week and shot a 76 with them. The woods and wedges in my bag are the same. I did kinda up date the putter though I did some more horse trading and got a Ping Anser 2 putter. Overall it was a good ball striking day but my putting woes continue.

G

Archived