Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cobra S2 Forged Irons - ULTIMATE REVIEW!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Definitely let me know what you think of this one guys.

I'm inching closer to producing the type of reviews I've envisioned since I started writing for MGS. I know you guys love the head to head stuff, but I'd love to hear your opinions of this format for individual club reviews.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Great review! :D

Very interesting how much of a drop-off there is in the subjective score compared to performance. I wonder if such a disparity would still persist after, say, 3 rounds of play.

A: Excellently rendered sirs! I really enjoy the seperation so you can see exactly what the testers thought in each area

B: I know you mentioned it in the review but how much impact on the scores do you think there was given the other clubs you were testing on the day? Admittedly most of what people subjectively thought doesn't rate high with me, but it might with others.

C: So it appears I need to start golf stalking you T. Aside from having higher back spin numbers by a bit (and actually hitting the ball to the left a couple of times) those numbers are eeriely familair.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Excellent work, MGS. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the amount of raw data on the interactive page. I was really shocked by the distance dispersion, even by the 6 handicap - anywhere from 170 to 220!?!?

From what I've seen it seems to happen to all but the very best of golfers. I'll save the details for a later post, but we account for the fact that some shots are better than average, and some are a lot worse. Our scores are based on what we think a given golfer would reasonably achieve with the clubs (based on the actual data). That said, we think it's important that, when possible, we show every shot from every tester. We're not robots, and it appears that almost all of us from time to time are capable of both over and underachieving.

A: Excellently rendered sirs! I really enjoy the seperation so you can see exactly what the testers thought in each area

B: I know you mentioned it in the review but how much impact on the scores do you think there was given the other clubs you were testing on the day? Admittedly most of what people subjectively thought doesn't rate high with me, but it might with others.

C: So it appears I need to start golf stalking you T. Aside from having higher back spin numbers by a bit (and actually hitting the ball to the left a couple of times) those numbers are eeriely familair.

To point A: Thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying the new format.

To point B: There probably was some impact because many (not all) of our testers also participated in the forged iron showdown. That said, I personally agree with a lot of the subjective feedback we received. I think more than anything it speaks to the market segment these clubs fill.

To point C: I wasn't shocked by my consistency number (story of my life really). Some days I can keep up with an 8 handicap, but on many I get schooled by a 20. Inconsistency is sadly, my game. The spin number shocked me a bit. I've always fought against a high ballooning ball flight (one of the few who actively seeks to lower his trajectory), but to see that I generated more spin than any of the other testers...very interesting.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Excellent review.This is the type of review you cant get anywhere else,loved it. Plenty of info on the interactive page. Very thorough

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Good report I read it yesterday. According to the published loft specs those irons have some "hot lofts".The PW almost had the same loft as my 8 iron!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• SPY VIP

note to golf digest and their hot list - this is how a review is conducted..... jackwagons!cool.gif

Thanks Manavs! That's what we were going for, and hopefully we'll be able to steadily improve as we go.

• 2 weeks later...

Really useful info on the Cobra...Your conclusion appears spot on. It's a market segment that hasn't been cultivated. Many game improvement users want a better looking, better feeling club and forged is a good way to go. It needs to be marketed that way to sell on any level. It's curious that Cobra is using stronger lofts and longer shafts. It will give that target group a little more confidence I suspect so I don't disagree with its application. But it reminds me of women's clothing manufacturers resizing clothes to appeal to a woman's ego. Calling a size 10 dress a small may make a gal feel better AND get her to buy something she normally wouldn't, but it's still a size 10...Oh, well..that's marketing.

But the fact that Dave achieved the most consistent results as a middle of the pack player says that Cobra did a good job of helping it's target market. I could see where a 12-20 handicap could get more enjoyment out of the game using this club.

I really appreciate your approach to testing. Players, I suspect, will love it. Manufacturers, on the other hand, will be a little nervous about sub standard clubs being exposed. But it's all good from where I sit. Your interpretation of the club reviewed and where it slots in for it's intended audience will be the key factor towards a valued review. Accurate data with a solid interpretation need to go hand in hand, as it did here.

Archived