Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does everyone lie to the club salesman??

MmmmmmBuddy

So I am at my local golf shop today, and witnessed this exchange for the 50000th time. I am on the range tryng out the new Bridgestone J38 driver and fairway woods, when a 20 something dude come out to the range to hit some irons. The fitter, who I know (I'm a bit of a regular) asks the dude how far he hits his 7 iron. Dude replies "Like 190-195". Salesman turns to go back inside and find some stiffer irons for this dude to hit, and I watch him hit a small bucket with a 7 iron at the 153 flag, and never come close. When the salesman comes back, the dude asks "How far is that flag?? 200??". When informed it is 153, he then inquires if the range balls are restricted flight. The sales guy then tells him that the balls are about one club short on the range, which I find to be absolutely true. I hit my 8 about 155 in the summer, and I hit the 153 flag with a 7 all day. The dude then goes on and on about how far he hits this club and that club, and how much his back hurts... Ect. So, when it comes time for him to get fit for irons, dude decides he wants x flex irons because he read online that if he hits his 7 iron "195" he needs an X. I have purchased several clubs from this fitter, and never once recieved bad info. Why do people do this?? Anyone??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Your always going to have those people who show up and talk a big game, but yet can't back it up when it's go time. I get pure enjoyment watching these said people who act all big and bad. I would rather be honest that to make a complete fool out of myself doing something like that.

I don't have an answer as to why people do this, but I can tell you that it's universal (at least it's true everywhere I've ever lived). I used to work in golf retail and may personal favorite was, "I hit my driver too high, it only goes like 275."

One additional thought: I don't know that people think that they are lying. I think many people have convinced themselves that they hit their irons/driver that far.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

For me, I try to be very honest when I shop for sticks. I lay my suckage out there so I can get help.

Who knows though. One guy in our group who is a hack like me in convinced that if he goes to blades, they will force him to improve. This is after slicing the slice-proof Nike 5900 into the trees, again.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Your always going to have those people who show up and talk a big game, but yet can't back it up when it's go time. I get pure enjoyment watching these said people who act all big and bad. I would rather be honest that to make a complete fool out of myself doing something like that.

I agree, if the guy is going to be helping me buy clubs to fix my game, it would help if he knew the truth....

The way I see it, it's like lying to your Dr.

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I agree, if the guy is going to be helping me buy clubs to fix my game, it would help if he knew the truth....

Mudfish, I think you hit the nail on the head. You wouldn't lie to your doctor so why lie about your golf game. It doesn't get you anywhere if you can't be honest about your flaws.

• SPY VIP

OK so I may exaggerate my flossing schedule to the dentist.

Volvo Intorqueo

I hit my 7-iron about 160 yards and I'm a scratch golfer. I'm by no means really long, but I'm longer than most non-scratch amateurs. So I laugh when somebody says they hit their 7-iron 180 yards. I think the longer golfer hits their 7-iron about 170-175 yards long. Again, the longer golfer.

I play with one guy, a pro, who hits his 7-iron a legit 200-210 yards. One hole is a par-3 and he hits his 7-iron there while I'm using a 4-iron.

He also hits his driver about 330-350 yards. Just super long.

So when somebody says they hit their 7-iron 190 yards long, either they are lying or coming up short on the irons all of the time.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'll admit when I first started playing I always thought I was longer than I was but it was insecurity and the fast that I was like 16 lol. I git my 7 iron about 160-165 but I tend to fade the ball a little and I do not catch it crisp every single time. My brother-in-law is one of those guys in the story but his 7 iron really does go about 190 but he hits about 1 in 50 balls striaght, then when I try and help him he thinks he knows better. He is a 25-30 handicap and I'm an 8.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

• SPY VIP

Accurate assessment of one's ability only makes the game easier. I will take straight over long every time at this point. The proclaimed extra yardage in the 09 Burners that I bought was nice, but I bought them because I hit them straighter than the other irons.

Volvo Intorqueo

wouldn't all this nonsense be revealed during the fitting? I mean nowadays with all the technology your clubhead speed, ball speed, launch angle, etc. pretty much tells the tale. I would hope the salesmen wouldn't incorrectly fit a guy into his ego.

• SPY VIP

wouldn't all this nonsense be revealed during the fitting? I mean nowadays with all the technology your clubhead speed, ball speed, launch angle, etc. pretty much tells the tale. I would hope the salesmen wouldn't incorrectly fit a guy into his ego.

I don't know that showing the data would be enough. Some folk will refuse to believe the fitter. I see this in education all the time. Plus if the person wants to buy an expensive set of ill-fitting clubs against the recommendation of the fitter, that is his or her choice. Ultimately, the shop needs the sale and the customer gets what he deserved. Maybe the shop will also then get to sell a second (correct) set to the person down the road.

Volvo Intorqueo

Pretty sure I am ditching my Stiff Shafted Driver, 3 wood and Hybrid, and moving exclusively to regular Shaft.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I laugh at these guys too. In the end they are only hurting themselves by "altering" the truth. To me, its not how far you hit it, its how good of a ball striker you are on a consistent basis.

dmarshal17

09 TaylorMade Burner Driver 9.5 deg

Adams RPM 3 Wood

09 TaylorMade Rescue #3 19 deg

Callaway X22 irons (3-PW)

Callaway X12 Sand Wedge

Titelist Vokey Wedge (58 deg)

Odyssey White Hot XG#5 Center Shafted

Hey, I'm on Twitter!

I KNOW you've told your dentist you floss more than you do, however. ;)

Posted Image

I just don't see the benefit in having a big head. If you don't have the game to back up what you are saying then it is doing you absolutely no good!! I have always tried to be honest about my game. I am sure there are times I am not certain about things and I might over shoot on distances, but not to the point to where I look like a complete liar.

• SPY VIP

Maybe it is the ultimate form of hero worship. You buy what tiger plays so you can be like Tiger, or another player if Tiger is a no-go for you. This is true for so many consumer goods. Buy what she wears to be like her. Different cars project different lifestyles. The problem with golf is that you actually have to play too. Sometimes I think it works backward too though. I don't even demo Titleist clubs because I don't think I have the game for them. I see the brand a too much of a players club line for me, so I look to Cobra and others that I see as more appropriate. Once I can hit wedge into that 180 yard par 3 then I will look for the AP2s though. Very nice looking clubs.

Volvo Intorqueo

Maybe it is the ultimate form of hero worship. You buy what tiger plays so you can be like Tiger, or another player if Tiger is a no-go for you. This is true for so many consumer goods. Buy what she wears to be like her. Different cars project different lifestyles. The problem with golf is that you actually have to play too. Sometimes I think it works backward too though. I don't even demo Titleist clubs because I don't think I have the game for them. I see the brand a too much of a players club line for me, so I look to Cobra and others that I see as more appropriate. Once I can hit wedge into that 180 yard par 3 then I will look for the AP2s though. Very nice looking clubs.

I agree with the statement that some people want to play what the pros play. There are a ton of people who watch and like you said see what Tiger is playing or Phil and they want what they have.

As for Titleist I used to agree with you. When I saw Titleist I immediately thought they were players clubs. I recently changed that thought though as I tested a 909D3 and 909F2 and bagged both of them. I am by no means a "player" but I hit the 909D3 and 909F2 straighter and farther than any other club I have ever owned.

• SPY VIP

I agree with the statement that some people want to play what the pros play. There are a ton of people who watch and like you said see what Tiger is playing or Phil and they want what they have.

As for Titleist I used to agree with you. When I saw Titleist I immediately thought they were players clubs. I recently changed that thought though as I tested a 909D3 and 909F2 and bagged both of them. I am by no means a "player" but I hit the 909D3 and 909F2 straighter and farther than any other club I have ever owned.

This is what I hope to hear in the forum. I know that avoiding a name because of a perception is silly. I will take them out at the shop if the rain ever stops.

Volvo Intorqueo

This is what I hope to hear in the forum. I know that avoiding a name because of a perception is silly. I will take them out at the shop if the rain ever stops.

Give them a try...when all is said and done they might not be the best for you, but I really think Titleist has changed some things to make them less of a players club. I love the new AP2's! They are definitely one of the best irons I have hit! If you want a great fairway wood then check out the 909F2...I hit that thing straight as an arrow and long plus it feels amazing! Don't shut them out based on their previous offerings because they are changing things up I think.

What an interesting conversation. That dude with the "195 7 iron" did not buy clubs that day. I got to chat with my buddy the fitter after he left, and that conversation was the basis for my inital question here. It seems that the fellas at my local shop are more impressed by a player that hits his shots a consistant distance and trajectory, not just how far.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

What an interesting conversation. That dude with the "195 7 iron" did not buy clubs that day. I got to chat with my buddy the fitter after he left, and that conversation was the basis for my inital question here. It seems that the fellas at my local shop are more impressed by a player that hits his shots a consistant distance and trajectory, not just how far.

I agree...I am much more impressed by watching someone hit shots that are accurate and dead on more than I am by someone who hits the ball a country mile! Distance means nothing if you can't put the ball where you want to.

• SPY VIP

That's where I want to be when I get a hang of this game. I am taking it up at almost forty. Distance is going to go at some point. The only way I will be able to play for the next 40 years is if I can hit it accurately. One of the guys I got paired up with one afternoon described his game as shooting for old man par. He was 72 and I had to ask him what he meant by that statement. He said an old man par is all about close chip on and then putt for par. He no longer has the strength to reach the green in regulation and 2 put. Man could he chip and pitch though. only beat me by about 80 or so. Cool dude.

Volvo Intorqueo

I agree...I am much more impressed by watching someone hit shots that are accurate and dead on more than I am by someone who hits the ball a country mile! Distance means nothing if you can't put the ball where you want to.

Thankfully, I learned this lesson very early in my golfing career. My dad, my father in law, my grandfather in law, and I all played at the course at my school on graduation weekend. I had been playing seriously for less than a year, but I was feeling pretty good about my game and the improvements I had been making. We all tee off on the first and my grandfather in law (GIL) hits in about 150, tops. My drives carries way over his and I think I'm the balls. Repeat seventeen times. After the round, we're adding up the scores and my GIL pounded me by at least 10 shots. I'm looking at the scorecard in complete shock trying to figure out what happened, and then I start thinking about his game: 150 off the tee, fairway wood, iron hit close, one or two putts, compared to my game: bomb the driver, chop, hack, slice, duff, 3 putt. No one needed to tell me again that they don't deduct strokes just because you hit your tee shot far.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Thankfully, I learned this lesson very early in my golfing career. My dad, my father in law, my grandfather in law, and I all played at the course at my school on graduation weekend. I had been playing seriously for less than a year, but I was feeling pretty good about my game and the improvements I had been making. We all tee off on the first and my grandfather in law (GIL) hits in about 150, tops. My drives carries way over his and I think I'm the balls. Repeat seventeen times. After the round, we're adding up the scores and my GIL pounded me by at least 10 shots. I'm looking at the scorecard in complete shock trying to figure out what happened, and then I start thinking about his game: 150 off the tee, fairway wood, iron hit close, one or two putts, compared to my game: bomb the driver, chop, hack, slice, duff, 3 putt. No one needed to tell me again that they don't deduct strokes just because you hit your tee shot far.

This story will be passed along to my little linker who "bombs" his driver.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived