Does everyone lie to the club salesman??

MmmmmmBuddy

Maybe it is the ultimate form of hero worship. You buy what tiger plays so you can be like Tiger, or another player if Tiger is a no-go for you. This is true for so many consumer goods. Buy what she wears to be like her. Different cars project different lifestyles. The problem with golf is that you actually have to play too. Sometimes I think it works backward too though. I don't even demo Titleist clubs because I don't think I have the game for them. I see the brand a too much of a players club line for me, so I look to Cobra and others that I see as more appropriate. Once I can hit wedge into that 180 yard par 3 then I will look for the AP2s though. Very nice looking clubs.

I agree with the statement that some people want to play what the pros play. There are a ton of people who watch and like you said see what Tiger is playing or Phil and they want what they have.

As for Titleist I used to agree with you. When I saw Titleist I immediately thought they were players clubs. I recently changed that thought though as I tested a 909D3 and 909F2 and bagged both of them. I am by no means a "player" but I hit the 909D3 and 909F2 straighter and farther than any other club I have ever owned.

• SPY VIP

I agree with the statement that some people want to play what the pros play. There are a ton of people who watch and like you said see what Tiger is playing or Phil and they want what they have.

As for Titleist I used to agree with you. When I saw Titleist I immediately thought they were players clubs. I recently changed that thought though as I tested a 909D3 and 909F2 and bagged both of them. I am by no means a "player" but I hit the 909D3 and 909F2 straighter and farther than any other club I have ever owned.

This is what I hope to hear in the forum. I know that avoiding a name because of a perception is silly. I will take them out at the shop if the rain ever stops.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This is what I hope to hear in the forum. I know that avoiding a name because of a perception is silly. I will take them out at the shop if the rain ever stops.

Give them a try...when all is said and done they might not be the best for you, but I really think Titleist has changed some things to make them less of a players club. I love the new AP2's! They are definitely one of the best irons I have hit! If you want a great fairway wood then check out the 909F2...I hit that thing straight as an arrow and long plus it feels amazing! Don't shut them out based on their previous offerings because they are changing things up I think.

What an interesting conversation. That dude with the "195 7 iron" did not buy clubs that day. I got to chat with my buddy the fitter after he left, and that conversation was the basis for my inital question here. It seems that the fellas at my local shop are more impressed by a player that hits his shots a consistant distance and trajectory, not just how far.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

What an interesting conversation. That dude with the "195 7 iron" did not buy clubs that day. I got to chat with my buddy the fitter after he left, and that conversation was the basis for my inital question here. It seems that the fellas at my local shop are more impressed by a player that hits his shots a consistant distance and trajectory, not just how far.

I agree...I am much more impressed by watching someone hit shots that are accurate and dead on more than I am by someone who hits the ball a country mile! Distance means nothing if you can't put the ball where you want to.

• SPY VIP

That's where I want to be when I get a hang of this game. I am taking it up at almost forty. Distance is going to go at some point. The only way I will be able to play for the next 40 years is if I can hit it accurately. One of the guys I got paired up with one afternoon described his game as shooting for old man par. He was 72 and I had to ask him what he meant by that statement. He said an old man par is all about close chip on and then putt for par. He no longer has the strength to reach the green in regulation and 2 put. Man could he chip and pitch though. only beat me by about 80 or so. Cool dude.

Volvo Intorqueo

I agree...I am much more impressed by watching someone hit shots that are accurate and dead on more than I am by someone who hits the ball a country mile! Distance means nothing if you can't put the ball where you want to.

Thankfully, I learned this lesson very early in my golfing career. My dad, my father in law, my grandfather in law, and I all played at the course at my school on graduation weekend. I had been playing seriously for less than a year, but I was feeling pretty good about my game and the improvements I had been making. We all tee off on the first and my grandfather in law (GIL) hits in about 150, tops. My drives carries way over his and I think I'm the balls. Repeat seventeen times. After the round, we're adding up the scores and my GIL pounded me by at least 10 shots. I'm looking at the scorecard in complete shock trying to figure out what happened, and then I start thinking about his game: 150 off the tee, fairway wood, iron hit close, one or two putts, compared to my game: bomb the driver, chop, hack, slice, duff, 3 putt. No one needed to tell me again that they don't deduct strokes just because you hit your tee shot far.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Thankfully, I learned this lesson very early in my golfing career. My dad, my father in law, my grandfather in law, and I all played at the course at my school on graduation weekend. I had been playing seriously for less than a year, but I was feeling pretty good about my game and the improvements I had been making. We all tee off on the first and my grandfather in law (GIL) hits in about 150, tops. My drives carries way over his and I think I'm the balls. Repeat seventeen times. After the round, we're adding up the scores and my GIL pounded me by at least 10 shots. I'm looking at the scorecard in complete shock trying to figure out what happened, and then I start thinking about his game: 150 off the tee, fairway wood, iron hit close, one or two putts, compared to my game: bomb the driver, chop, hack, slice, duff, 3 putt. No one needed to tell me again that they don't deduct strokes just because you hit your tee shot far.

This story will be passed along to my little linker who "bombs" his driver.

Volvo Intorqueo

I have no ego or shame, I am getting fitted this Spring, and if he tells me I need Senior Shafts, that's what I am getting. I would rather play better than worry about the ego, my golf outfits say enough about that on the course!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

• SPY VIP

I have no ego or shame, I am getting fitted this Spring, and if he tells me I need Senior Shafts, that's what I am getting. I would rather play better than worry about the ego, my golf outfits say enough about that on the course!

Good choice. That seems like the best way to get clubs to match you. Plus clothing matches any swing speed. B)

Volvo Intorqueo

Plus clothing matches any swing speed. :lol:

I don't know... You had better hit it pretty flush to rock that pink outfit that Poulter was wearing at the match play.

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I don't know... You had better hit it pretty flush to rock that pink outfit that Poulter was wearing at the match play.

Some of my new Vintage 70s outfits will make Poulter blush!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

Some of my new Vintage 70s outfits will make Poulter blush!

Pics please!!!

One time I played with a guy that obviously thought he could bomb it off the tee. I marked his drives on my Skycaddie and showed him the distance on one of his "good drives". He wasn't happy with the 230 yard reading and said my GPS "must not be calibrated right."

I almost couldn't stop myself from laughing at the look on his face.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I KNOW you've told your dentist you floss more than you do, however. ;)

My dentist is a childhood friend and she doesn't even bother to ask... she just TELLS me to start flossing more... no asking about it...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I'm doing the same thing... I am not going to argue with someone who does fittings for a living... in reality he probably doesn't need me to SAY anything all he needs to do is SEE what I do...

and as I was thinking, I guess I do lie... not about distances, but overall scores. My overall scores would have me buying SGI clubs, and I am really looking at GI clubs... so rather than say I average a score of 110, I'm saying I hover around 100... I can hit around 100, but my average is higher...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

One time I played with a guy that obviously thought he could bomb it off the tee. I marked his drives on my Skycaddie and showed him the distance on one of his "good drives". He wasn't happy with the 230 yard reading and said my GPS "must not be calibrated right."

I almost couldn't stop myself from laughing at the look on his face.

Should have told him it was in Metric, and reading in METERS....