Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

PowerBilt Introduces New Air Foil 2 Driver

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Foiled Again: The New Air Force One - Air Foil 2 Nitrogen Driver By PowerBilt Offers The Thinnest Face In Golf

2030968.jpg

The thinnest face in golf is now available to all golfers. PowerBilt, which uses nitrogen gas inside the clubhead, is introducing the Air Force One - Air Foil 2, the next generation of Air Force One drivers, fairway woods and hybrids.

All Air Foil 2 drivers feature a 2.6 millimeter forged titanium face. That compares to 3.2 mm on most high-performance drivers on the market, giving PowerBilt a face that is approximately 20% thinner than other leading brands.

"When you combine the thin face with our unique nitrogen technology, you get maximum distance, maximum 'smash factor,' an incredibly large sweetspot - and all within USGA standards," says PowerBilt President Ross Kvinge.

Nitrogen-Charged Technology is a process that uses nitrogen gas to support the face of the driver. The inside of the clubhead is coated with leak-proof resin, then charged with 85 psi of nitrogen gas. The pressure inside the head provides support, which allows for an ultra-thin face with no internal bracing.

Why is a thin face so important? When the clubhead strikes the ball, the face flexes. More flex means more energy is transferred to the ball, resulting in greater distance. At the same time, the USGA (golf's governing body) limits the performance of conforming drivers.

"All good manufacturers know how to build a driver that will exceed USGA standards," Says Kvinge. "The tough part is keeping performance at maximum limits by enlarging the sweetspot so that golfers experience maximum distance and optimal spin rates when they hit the ball on various parts of the face. That's what we're doing."

There's another benefit of Nitrogen-Charged Technology - it helps golfers of all swing speeds enjoy the benefits of compressing the face at impact. The USGA tests drivers with a 110 mph swing speed. "The vast majority of golfers swing anywhere from 80-100 mph, which means the thin face offered by PowerBilt helps most golfers enjoy more trampoline effect," adds Kvinge.

So, how does the new Air Foil 2 differ from its predecessor? As already mentioned, the face is 2.6 mm on all drivers. Previously, there were 2.8 and 2.6 mm models. The pressure has been reduced to 85 psi. Less pressure means more flex across the face. The valve (which allows the clubhead to be filled with nitrogen) has been moved to the sole, creating a lower center of gravity. A new aerodynamic head shape helps increase clubhead speed. The new shape has a rounded toe giving the club a more open appearance at address. Plus, improved sound and graphics give the club a richer feel and look.

The Air Foil 2 driver comes in two models - Tour and high-MOI. The Tour is for golfers who like to work the ball and comes with a Fujikura Motore F-3 shaft. The high MOI version helps reduce side spin, resulting in straighter drives. The Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is $299.99 for the Tour model and $249.99 for the high MOI.

#TruthDigest

.....and the newer version of the nitrogen charged irons made the GD Hot List this year.

Even with just a Silver Award....I just don't understand how they made it as Powerbilt does not advertise with GD.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm somewhat skeptical about the performance benefits. They can do anything they want, but for the driver to be USGA conforming, there are still certain performance parameters to keep to, especially the COR and MOI limits. Anything else is just marketing mumbo jumbo. JMHO.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I'm somewhat skeptical about the performance benefits. They can do anything they want, but for the driver to be USGA conforming, there are still certain performance parameters to keep to, especially the COR and MOI limits. Anything else is just marketing mumbo jumbo. JMHO.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. The benefit of moving to a thinner face is more trampoline effect/ COR, and the USGA limits those/that.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. The benefit of moving to a thinner face is more trampoline effect/ COR, and the USGA limits those/that.

and PowerBilt is pushing it to the limits! that's great news for those golfers that have a swing speed that's less than 100 mph.......like me.

Way to go PowerBilt!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Hey JohnBarry,

Have you considered calling Powerbilt and asking where you can go to get a test?

Here's the contact info....

PowerBilt

72-370 Quarry Trail

Thousand Palms, CA 92276

Phone: (760) 343-1990

Toll Free: (888) 488-4653

Fax: (760) 343-2934

e-mail: sales@powerbilt.com

Hey JohnBarry,

Have you considered calling Powerbilt and asking where you can go to get a test?

Here's the contact info....

PowerBilt

72-370 Quarry Trail

Thousand Palms, CA 92276

Phone: (760) 343-1990

Toll Free: (888) 488-4653

Fax: (760) 343-2934

e-mail: sales@powerbilt.com

Hey FOZ are you a Powerbuilt REP? :D

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 5 weeks later...

Hey FOZ are you a Powerbuilt REP? :D

Nope......just a loyal fan

Good Luck......as for me, I am looking at the new PowerBilt WMD......it's white, like the TM R11, but has a thinner face.

There's a couple pix on their facebook page

Like I've been saying all along, and will still say, these clubs simply do not improve ball speed, clubhead speed, or smash factor (which is ball speed divided by clubhead speed). There are still limits on COR numbers, and since this is a conforming club, their thinner face does not increase the COR above that limit. A properly fit driver of any brand will perform just the same as a properly fit "Nitrogen Charged" driver. The ball speeds will not change with the same swing. Good marketing hype, rubbish results though, and that's from robot testing.

For a real world test, I hit one of the nitrogen charged Air Force Ones (last year's model) recently, side by side with my driver. One, the shaft is a wet noodle in them, if you have an aggressive transition, you're not going to control that shaft. I hit it in X flex, and it was still a noodle. My ball speed and smash factor went down significantly versus my current gamer driver (Adams 9032LS with Matrix F7M2 LTD in strong flex). The swing speed was the same, ball speed wasn't close (12 MPH off). Smash factor went down as well. Maybe it'd be a tad closer if they'd put a real X flex in it instead of their soft X that plays more like stiff. My average SS with my driver was 118.2 MPH, with theirs, it was 117.9. Average ball speed with mine 172.6, for a 1.48 smash factor. With the AFO, average ball speed was 162.4 for a smash factor of 1.38. I hit 25 balls with each after warming up and then took averages on both after the 25 balls. I hit 10 with mine, 17 with the AFO, 7 with mine, alternated the last 8 for each, going 1 mine, 1 AFO, in that order, so that fatigue wouldn't play a factor in the numbers.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nicely done Rookieblue7........but I do not have a swing speed above 90 mph. Yes, I know that if both clubs are USGA conforming that one will go just as far as the other. That is at 110 mph as tested by the USGA. However, since my swing speed is only 87 mph, the club face does have more smash factor than another conforming driver at my swing speed thus yielding more distance.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be getting the 2011 MOI version next week with the Motore F3 shaft next week. I can't wait to try it out and see if it lives up the hype.

The white one?

• SPY VIP

We have not tested that version yet so no hype about that one from our end. Remember every model is much different just look at the two we tested in 2010.

I'll be getting the 2011 MOI version next week with the Motore F3 shaft next week. I can't wait to try it out and see if it lives up the hype.

#TruthDigest

We have not tested that version yet so no hype about that one from our end. Remember every model is much different just look at the two we tested in 2010.

Do you mean the performance difference between the 2010 MOI version versus the 2010 Tour version in your review from last year? I would guess that difference would be due to difference in shaft more than the head. If both models had the same shaft in your review and one head performed better, THEN I would agree with you. I wouldn't be surprised if the shafts were swapped the results could have favored the 2010 MOI.

Now I can go back to MGS "Commodity" blog post a week or so back. I doubt that PowerBilt's newer head would have gotten worse than before. I also doubt that the head greatly improved either. I did like the fact that MOI version is no longer 2* closed and it is offered in higher lofts. Also the Motore F3 shaft seems to be an upgrade from before. Now the question is will this head and shaft be the right fit for my swing. Probably not but at least I can get better fitted with a driver rather than if I had the head only. If the combination doesn't work for me, I'm thinking I can put that shaft in my current 3 wood.

I ordered the 2011 white WMD with Fujikura E350 shaft......will be coming in mid April

These definitely sound like they have quiet the hype of new packed technology. So I'm really seeing mixed reviews. I haven't heard too much of this brand I have seen a few more retailers carrying them though. Good for the smaller brands to make it onto the Hot List though.

I ordered the 2011 white WMD with Fujikura E350 shaft......will be coming in mid April

I was wondering why your order will be coming in mid April. Now I know why.

The 2011 MOI head isn't available till then! My order just got here this morning and it came with the 2010 head even though 2011 head is written in the invoice.

I called PowerBilt and they seem to be willing to resolve this somehow but they first want verification. I need to send them a picture over email. I do find this a bit annoying/funny considering they don't even have these heads...haha.

Lets see how this plays out.

Edit:

They are replacing the driver. There was miscommunication regarding the 2011 head being unavailable. They are getting a new shipment of heads with white crowns ala R11 and the new rep I talked to yesterday thought I was referring to those. They were willing to ship the corrected order through expedited shipping but I wanted to hit the one I got. They said it was ok to hit it but wanted me to use face tape before it got returned (no shipping cost to me obviously).

I was hitting at night so I couldn't see the full ball flight but my Initial reaction is that the face felt hotter than my current one. I was getting good penetrating ball flight but will have to verify if I was getting the proper launch and spin numbers. Ping guys are coming to my local range this Saturday so gonna go see them and do a comparison.

• 2 months later...

Just received the word.......SHIPPING!

The club heads were held up in Customs....but have now been released.

Should get my new WMD next week. B)

Just arrived.....

The White Driver!...will use it tomorrow for sure. I'm hoping it out drives my Air Force One...

plus I got last year's 3 wood....to go with my 5 wood (that I simply adore!)

• 3 weeks later...

played 7 rounds in 4 days last week in Sebring with 22 guys from my Saturday Game......with the newest Powerbilt Driver.

it's absolutely terrific.

• 7 months later...

I have hit both the normal version and the WMD version, both are sweet!! I like the regular 2011 version a bit better. Tested them head to head against a Ping G15 Draw, and a Integra SoooLooong 175 gram head, with Miyazaki C Kua 44 gram shaft, and Winn Lite Grip (total weight = 246 grams). The Powerbilt was 3-8 yards longer than the others, but was doing so every time! It's winter here in Germany and I haven't been to the driving range in 3 months, so my not so elegent swing is even worse, I hit some monster pull hooks and slices with the Ping and Integra, but the 2011 AFO and the WMD version.....straight up the pipe!! Most over my shots were mishits, but the ball still straightend out and flew long up the middle, and when I mishit it badly a couple times the resulting slice was less severe than the Ping G15 Draw and the Integra. This may or may not be the longest driver I ever hit....too close to tell....but where these clubs shine is how straight the ball goes...I have honestly never experienced anything like it....ever!! I'm going to snap up a bunch of these...Powerbilt's website is down and I'm thinking the economy has done them in.

• 1 month later...

Hey Sirslicealot, thanks for your comments......I also went to the website to see what's new and got the same thing.....HOWEVER...if you click on the "find out more...." you get the following....

Our website is currently *UNDER CONSTRUCTION*. We appreciate your patience while we continue to work to improve our site. If you have any questions regarding our products please call us at 888-488-4653 or e-mail us at sales@powerbilt.com

Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PowerBiltGolf

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/PowerbiltGolf

and can email them at....

PowerBilt contact

I sent an email from their site and was called back the same afternoon.

They are still in business, check out their activity in California this year on their Facebook page.

Archived