Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Putter!

I recently had a dumb@ss attack and destroyed my beloved WH XG #7. It wasn't in anger, it was a decent amount of both stupidity and a moving vehicle. My wife, though, came to the rescue: she was going to surprise me with a new putter for Christmas, any way!

She asked me what I wanted and I suggested either the Yes! Sophia or WH XG #9. I ended up with the #9. It's really a nice club. I actually like the toe balancing. The did rework the face, though... they're using the White Ice face now, with the XG insert (the red plastic behind the face cover).

Anyways, I got the club and "reworked" it. I ditched the stock grip for another. Here's the pics:

I don't believe in that "minus ion" stuff the Iomics sell. I had a Trion-Z when it first came out and never felt any different. It reminds me of a Ping grip. Really dig the color, though!

#9 1.jpg

0110111014.jpg

Looks sweet. Someone put the head on backwords.... J/K :)

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Looks sweet. Someone put the head on backwords.... J/K :)

Here's an exchange between my father-in-law and I one day last year:

FIN: D@mn lefties... just doesn't look right.

Me: Yeah, but I did it "right", I'd be aiming right at you!

FIN: You know... that's a good point.

:)

Your a lucky guy.. I know my wife wouldn't just go out and by me a putter. I would like to ask you how the Iomic putter grip is? soft, hard, any kind of feel in it?

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

They're nice putters aren't they. I have one ..somewhere. The Iomic is a nice look as well, I must get round to trying one out one day.

The h/c's came out sweet didnt they.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Your a lucky guy.. I know my wife wouldn't just go out and by me a putter. I would like to ask you how the Iomic putter grip is? soft, hard, any kind of feel in it?

You're right- I am lucky. I know it helped because it was Christmas time, but still, to think of that of her own accord was too sweet for words.

They're nice putters aren't they. I have one ..somewhere. The Iomic is a nice look as well, I must get round to trying one out one day.

The h/c's came out sweet didnt they.

As for the grip, it feels similar to a Ping (the one that Tiger uses; blanking on the name of it right now), only a little thicker. I'd say it dampens vibrations- not absorbs; I can tell a difference between the Iomic and the stock grip in that regard.

Just holding on to it I thought it was lighter than the stock XG grip, but it was a shade over 10g heavier... yeah, I was surprised by that. I'm not sold on the "minus ion" stuff, but the grip looks sleek and the color is bright. Even better, I paid about $8 less for it off Ebay than what Golfsmith is currently selling it for!

Dave, yes! That cover looks exactly like the prototype pics they had earlier- to me, that is really cool. I told GSX that I've never been excited about a headcover before until this one. There wasn't even any loose stitching anywhere inside the cover... I kind of expect that- I file it under "manufacturing tolerances"- but there wasn't any.

Anyone that doesn't have a MGS putter cover yet- get one! They are worth every penny. Hopefully the mallet version will be coming soon for those that have the bigger headed putters.

Archived