Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wanna See What a White Hot XG Face Insert Looks Like?

Justin66

The new XG face doesn't have the 6 red dots and the "checkered" pattern on the sweet spot area... it's the White Ice cover. For some reason, I find it interesting that there's an "XG" in the red (3rd pic). It comes from working with plastics, I think.

1221101124.jpg

1221101124a.jpg

1221101129.jpg

1221101132.jpg

1221101134.jpg

Interesting ... I wonder how much it actually costs Odyssey to develop and produce those inserts alone?

That's a good question. I know my shop goes through tons of ABS and polypropelene a year, but I couldn't tell you how much Odyssey uses.

The red part feels like the same material they use to make action figures, for comparative purposes.

I also find it just a touch interesting that they hold the face insert in with two-way tape (that gunk in the second pic). That's how Bobby Jones Golf does it with their wedge faces, for what that's worth.

That's pretty cool. I went from using an odyssey to a Scotty and that insert sort of felt spongy, like it absorbed some of the impact. Perhaps that's the purpose? So now I can see the inner workings of it from those pics.

Is it me or do others feel that spongy factor as well. Maybe its just in my head.

That's pretty cool. I went from using an odyssey to a Scotty and that insert sort of felt spongy, like it absorbed some of the impact. Perhaps that's the purpose? So now I can see the inner workings of it from those pics.

Is it me or do others feel that spongy factor as well. Maybe its just in my head.

"Spongy" seems accurate to me, but I like that feeling. I can still differentiate a good and bad putt. Kinda shows why there are tons of putters available... so many golfers and so many differing tastes, but there's going to be something for everyone.

Yup, I agree Justin. It's pretty crazy to think just how many options there are.

As a side note, with putters that have these inserts I caution you NOT to take out your frustration on pine cones when you miss a putt. The insert on my old 2-ball never quite recovered.

I also find it just a touch interesting that they hold the face insert in with two-way tape (that gunk in the second pic). That's how Bobby Jones Golf does it with their wedge faces, for what that's worth.

Doesn't Bobby Jones Golf say it's a "3M membrane" or something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

My slotline SSi-693 has an aluminum insert.

Although it provides a softer feel, you can still feel the crack at impact.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived