TESTERS WANTED! ×

Padraig Harrington is Delusional

72strokes

Padraig Harrington is delusional

padraig-harrington-233x350.jpg

Padraig Harrington, currently 26th in the world rankings, recently told the Irish Golf Desk that he believes he can become the #1 player in the world.

I think Tiger has opened it up to everybody else. In fact, I am closer to being world No 1 now than I was when I was world No 3.

Technically, that is true. He's currently less than 6 points behind Lee Westwood compared to almost 11 points behind Tiger in 2008 when he was ranked 3rd. But does anybody besides Harrington think that he's got a legitimate shot at becoming the world #1?

An unwavering belief in yourself is a part of what lets somebody compete at the highest levels of sport, but in this case Harrington is borderline delusional. He's 39 years old, hasn't won since 2008 and would literally have to play the best golf of his life over the next 2 years, while hoping that Tiger doesn't return to form and that guys like Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell, Phil Mickelson, and Jim Furyk forget how to swing a golf club.

Harrington isn't even on top of the list of Irish golfers who could become the next world #1. If I had to pick an Irish golfer who could become the next #1, Harrington would be a distant 3rd on my list behind Graeme McDowell (#4) and Rory McIlroy (#12).

I do have to say though, that if Harrington does manage to grab the #1 spot, at least we'd have a world #1 that has won a major (or 3). Oh no he didn't! Oh yes I did.

Irish Golf Desk (via Waggleroom)

[image Flickr/James Marvin Phelps]

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

• SPY VIP

Who knows? Look at how hot Graeme got last year. Paddy could get on a run. Not like he doesn't have a history of solid play. Too bad he felt the need to rework his swing after winning. That was the crazy thought for me...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Good luck with that,I wish him luck.But I just dont see it.I hear he changed his swing again.We'll see

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Padraig Harrington, currently 26th in the world rankings, recently told the Irish Golf Desk that he believes he can become the #1 player in the world.

Technically, that is true. He's currently less than 6 points behind Lee Westwood compared to almost 11 points behind Tiger in 2008 when he was ranked 3rd. But does anybody besides Harrington think that he's got a legitimate shot at becoming the world #1?

An unwavering belief in yourself is a part of what lets somebody compete at the highest levels of sport, but in this case Harrington is borderline delusional. He's 39 years old, hasn't won since 2008 and would literally have to play the best golf of his life over the next 2 years, while hoping that Tiger doesn't return to form and that guys like Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell, Phil Mickelson, and Jim Furyk forget how to swing a golf club.

Harrington isn't even on top of the list of Irish golfers who could become the next world #1. If I had to pick an Irish golfer who could become the next #1, Harrington would be a distant 3rd on my list behind Graeme McDowell (#4) and Rory McIlroy (#12).

I do have to say though, that if Harrington does manage to grab the #1 spot, at least we'd have a world #1 that has won a major (or 3). Oh no he didn't! Oh yes I did.

Harrington actually has won at the end of 2010 in Malaysia at the Iskandar Johor Open granted it was his only win for nearly 2 years i dont think he is capable of becoming the world #1 but he could make a climb up the world rankings,i wouldnt rule him out of contention for any of the majors or write him off just yet!

Not likely but the possibility is not delusional in any way.

He did win two mayors in the same year, and one the next one.

Maybe two good years might put him back on top....

Agreed. Paddy has the game. Perhaps he tinkers with his swing too much, as the media infers. But he's got the swing and head for winning majors, no reason he couldn't catch fire and do it again. He shot a -7, 65 yesterday.

Wish he was playing here instead of Abu Dhabi, but that's a tougher field anyway (he's in 2nd, one stroke off after day one). He's right with Graeme McDowell as far as Irish players go, way ahead of McIlroy. I like McIlroy but he's got a ways to go. Still too inconsistent. He's young and may become great but he's not in Paddy's class yet.

He's right with Graeme McDowell as far as Irish players go, way ahead of McIlroy. I like McIlroy but he's got a ways to go. Still too inconsistent. He's young and may become great but he's not in Paddy's class yet.

If you look at their overall career arcs, clearly Paddy is in a different class than McIlroy or McDowell. But if you look at their play over the past 1-2 seasons, I don't think that's the case. McDowell and McIlroy have both been playing well recently (and they've won) and their respective world rankings ahead of Harrington reflect their better play.

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

The article is about Paddy thinking he can regain his championship form, which I agree with. McDowell is exceptional and playing well, McIlroy is a huge talent that missed 5 cuts out of 16 outings last years (on the PGA tour).

That's room for growth..

What's so strange about Harrington saying he could be #1? Look who's top of the heap NOW. If Westwood said he'd be the #1 player in the world even 2 years ago they would have carted him gently off to a quiet, padded room. And the two (Harrington and Westwood) are only a year or so apart in age, so that really isn't a factor, especially the way players work out these days. Meanwhile, Paddy changes his swing and promptly shoots -7 the first round of Abu Dhabi. Better than some large, predatory cat - nicknamed players out there. Then gets disqualified, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject...

• 2 weeks later...

The word delusional really strike a chord with me. I'm also delusional in that I still work at qualifying for tour even though I'm reaching mid forties.

I have put off my dreams for a pointless career in corporate life, having a family and paying bills.

Yes I'm delusional, there are so many on tour who are younger, fitter, bigger, and better than me in many ways. I'm already in my 40's and time is not on my side.

Call me delusional, but at least I still have a dream and working at it.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 4 weeks later...

72strokes, just to clarify, are you calling Paddy delusional? or is another reporter and your just sharing?

No way. If hes technically closer, he is closer.

agreed

Not likely but the possibility is not delusional in any way.

He did win two mayors in the same year, and one the next one.

Maybe two good years might put him back on top....

agreed

What's so strange about Harrington saying he could be #1? Look who's top of the heap NOW. If Westwood said he'd be the #1 player in the world even 2 years ago they would have carted him gently off to a quiet, padded room. And the two (Harrington and Westwood) are only a year or so apart in age, so that really isn't a factor, especially the way players work out these days. Meanwhile, Paddy changes his swing and promptly shoots -7 the first round of Abu Dhabi. Better than some large, predatory cat - nicknamed players out there. Then gets disqualified, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject...

great points

The word delusional really strike a chord with me. I'm also delusional in that I still work at qualifying for tour even though I'm reaching mid forties.

I have put off my dreams for a pointless career in corporate life, having a family and paying bills.

Yes I'm delusional, there are so many on tour who are younger, fitter, bigger, and better than me in many ways. I'm already in my 40's and time is not on my side.

Call me delusional, but at least I still have a dream and working at it.

I feel your pain and play golf with people like you in mind

-------

the reporter calling a 3x major champion, ryder cup champion, delusional for showing a glimpse into his psyche should be reprimanded. This is an outrageous story based on bias and opinion that puts a black eye on 'journalists'. how can one forget what Vijay did in 04/05 climbing to #1 and holding it for 32 weeks while being in his forties.

anyways, i could go on and on over this - and i dont even like Paddy, i just respect the hell out of they guy for accomplishing what he's done - but this is such a BS non story by some hack of a writer looking to stir the fires of a top world player. I was taught long ago to always consider the source and this piece is a great indicator of that.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

just to add, would the writer prefer to have Paddy just say, yeah my good years are behind me, i suck, cant play anymore with these young guns, im gonna pack it in and start broadcasting while i wait to be 50 and join the champions tour.... c'mon man!

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• SPY VIP

$79K in earnings so far this year.

Top 20 in putts per round.

Struggling to hit fairways and GIR's

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/pga-tour/stats/?select=0&select2=82

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Manavs,

I didn't write the original story - it came from an Irish golf website. I did write the attention grabbing headline and provide commentary on the fact that while you have to believe in yourself to compete in sport (especially at the highest levels), I just can't see Harrington becoming the world #1. Was "delusional" too strong of a word? Probably. He's clearly one of the best golfers in the world, but so is everybody else on tour.

He might go win another 3 majors over the next 2 years, but I just don't see it happening. He's too much of a tinkerer with his golf swing. At the time I posted the article, he was ranked 26th. He's since fallen to 36th. Yes, he is still closer to #1 now than 2008 when he was ranked 3rd (5 points and change vs 10.5), but so is everybody else. Kaymer only has 8.36 points total. So technically Craig Scott, who's ranked 1000th in the world is closer to being the world #1 now than Padraig Harrington was in 2008.

If we do see an Irish #1, I think it's significantly more likely that it will be McDowell or McIlroy (#4 and #8).

I actually suspect that most players on tour deep down think that they can be the world #1 - especially with Tiger not playing very... well Tiger-like as of late. I just think that most players keep it to themselves. They don't want to say it out loud and then come out of the gate and finish over par in their first 2 starts of the year.

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

His biggest issue is all the tinkering with his game. I read a thing about him a month or 2 back (immediately before he was going well in Middle East before his DQ). Described what he called a couple of simple changes, well it read like a book. Grip, set-up, back-swing, follow-through, you name it every part of his swing was tweaked slightly.

Why he didn't stick with what won him 3 majors I will never know.

But listen, he is one of the hardest working guys in the pro game. He is driven and committed. He has a hell of a lot of talent. And he's a really nice guy. Which makes me believe that if anyone is able to turn things around, he's your man. And what's more, who genuinely doesn't want to see it - simply because he is such a nice fella!?

The trouble he'll find, and the trouble Tiger will find if/when he finds his mojo, is that while they have stagnated, the rest of the world caught up. There are now guys who don't give a rat's ass about Tiger's aura and reputation. Stick him on the last group out at Augusta vs Rory McIlroy, tied for the lead. You think Rory will bottle it the way so many have in the past? GMAC at the close of last season certainly didn't. Kaymer. Bubba. Fowler. Dustin. Another 10-20 guys who have all started to win when Tiger's been missing out.

Padraig and Tiger don't just need to get back to where they were. They need to get beyond that and start beating guys who now know how to win, how to close out, and who have the self-belief to do so.

PH - I'd love to see him back. Tiger - mixed feelings - kinda think it's funny how badly he sucks now compared to his benchmark. Of the 2 - TW is the one most likely to win another few majors though

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

I'm a big Paddy fan. So I'm rooting for him to become the #1. Delusional ? I don't know why that would be delusional. Is there really that much difference in quality of the top 20 players ? Sometimes the difference between winning and loosing are so minimal. I presume with a little luck, the right mindset, and so on .. if everything falls into place it could happen ! I say Paddy for #1 ;-)

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

What I am still to understand is why he decided to make a swing change when he was playing his best! Why change something which isn't broken?

From the outside looking in, it is enough to drive a fan- like myself- batty. Some people never recover from a change. Paddy's always admitted to being a swing-tinkerer, though... but still, I'd think there'd have to be a point where you tell yourself "Hey, let's just go out there and win/do your best".

As far as him being "delusional", EVERYONE gets that label... wrongly... in the Tiger era. Look at Jason Day: he said he wanted to be #1 and nearly everyone and their brother tried to crucify him. What's wrong with wanting such an aspiration? It's like anyone other than Tiger didn't have the right to be #1 at that time, and to even try would be the dumbest thing they could do. Same goes for Harrington now... there's nothing wrong with "shooting for the stars" as they say.

Archived