TESTERS WANTED! ×

A thread about Kirke

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

No, as I noted: no one signed scorecards. I've never been to one of these events before, so I don't know if that's normal or atypical. But Kirke turned in the card for the boy whose round he was recording, and the director just entered the scores. The other kid never reviewed it. It was the same for each boy.

Is that still a Covid thing, signing/handling cards?

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Is that still a Covid thing, signing/handling cards?

It's entirely possible. Like I said, not having played an event on this tour before, I don't have a before to compare it to.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Good start to the summer @Kirke!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

TOURNAMENT RECAP

Upper Peninsula Golf Association Junior Tour

Event 1: Marquette Country Club

I've been looking forward to this event since I saw the UPGA Junior Tour calendar, based not a little on Andy Johnson's (of The Fried Egg) breakdown of the history and architecture of the Marquette Country Club. Side note: the UPGA Junior Tour does things right: $20, free bag of balls for the range, and lunch.

Kirke and I arrived an hour or so before his 11:00am tee time. That meant we had to leave about 6:30am, to account not only for the 2.5 hour drive but also the time zone change.

On arrival, Kirke went directly to the practice green. He learned quickly that the greens here were a bit faster than home, but definitely more subtle. It took him a bit to adjust, not so much to the side-to-side break, but to the uphill and downhill within a putt.

His range session was solid but not spectacular.

The first big twist came when we arrived at the first tee: the rules don't permit caddies. I don't think anything I received told me about that, and so I was a little bothered. We hadn't brought along the pullcart my dad modified for Kirke's bag, simply because when I caddie for him, I just carry his bag. Happily, the course had a pullcart they let Kirke borrow. But there was one more issue: apparently, Kirke hasn't learned yet how to use a rangefinder. For most of his rounds, he has a GPS watch strapped to his bag. Again, we didn't bring that because we didn't think he'd use it. So he was back to old school golf: sprinkler heads and eyeballing distances on a course he never played before.

Kirke's age group was 8-9 year olds, and while I don't know the ages of the other boys, Kirke was the smallest of them:

20210615_114859~2.jpg

It also turns out that the other three boys 1) were the entire field that Kirke was playing against and 2) were good friends who regularly play together, often at this course.

I never saw the scorecard (that no caddying thing!), but I know the course was setup really short for this group, much shorter than Kirke is used to playing.

On the first hole, Kirke hit first and hit a solid drive. Each of the other three guys hit it past him, one (if I remember correctly) with an iron off the tee. After realizing that he couldn't figure out the rangefinder, Kirke just grabbed the club he thought best for his approach; he left it about 20 or so feet shot, but after the other boys hit, Kirke was closest to the pin. This ended up being a theme of the day. It wasn't just that Kirke wedged and putted well, but his approach game is a big part of compensating for not being the longest in his age group off the tee.

Unfortunately, after rolling his first putt about three feet past the hole, he missed the comebacker, three-putting the first green. But then he did it again on the second hole. For what it's worth, Kirke doesn't three putt terribly often; opening with two straight three putts is very out of character. At this point, he was about a stroke back in his group.

He pulled things together on the next two holes: green in two and two putts. (Somehow, the official scoring has him with a 5 on the 4th hole; we're pretty sure that's a mistake. Each kid kept another boy's scorecard [and no one had to sign scorecards].)

The fifth hole began OK: it was about an 85 yard par 3, but the flag was way in the back of the green. Kirke was again closest to the pin, but he was stil at least 40' short. But then he hit this gem of a lag putt:

It probably finished 3' from the cup. But what might have been a stress-free par evaporated: lip out, lip out, tap in. Double bogey.

Without question, this turned into the moment I was most proud of Kirke. For a brief instant, his hold and shoulders dropped. But he recovered almost instantly and rejoined his new buddies walking to the next hole.

The 6th was set as a 115 yard par 4 (again, really short, even for Kirke). He pulled his fairway wood and hit the shot of the day: a gorgeous little draw that caught a slope, scared the hole, and finished about 2.5' behind the cup. I went bonkers. He rolled in the putt for an eagle, erasing the double on the previous hole.

He cruised the rest of the round. The seventh is a beautiful tiny par 3. He tugged his tee shot and missed the green, but deftly got up and down for par. On the eighth, he bombed a drive into a greenside bunker. I got to his ball first and saw he was sitting on a downhill lie, but kept to the rules and didn't say anything to him. He tried fighting the slope and caught it heavy, failing to get out of the bunker. But he splashed the next one out nicely and 2 putted for a bogey. A stress free regulation par on the next hole, and he had secured his first tournament win!

20210615_131541.jpg

20210615_131843.jpg

Obviously, I'm proud of this kid. I'm glad he played good golf. But I'm especially delighted to see him not get down after the 4 putt, but instead bounce back strong. And I was delighted to watch him have fun playing golf with other kids his age (not something he often gets to do here locally).

This morning, he and my wife left to head to his Local Qualifier for DCP. I'll report back on that when they return.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Back to back competitions. Back to back first place finishes:

IMG_20210616_123226.jpg

Kirke is through Local qualifying and on to the Sub-Regional round!

Way to go Kirke!!! 2 great accomplishments, and hope to see you on TV at the DCP Finals in Augusta. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Well done Kirke!

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You’ll have to start calling him (insert large land animal name here) as a nickname.

I here Tigers are cool.  Lion is taken.  Perhaps Some Midwestern mammal?

Roo?  Yeah, that isn’t Midwestern.

I'm partial to wolverines.

Full WITB with pictures

Congratulations Kirke!  That is some great golf.  I may have missed it but how do they set the course up for this age group; yardage and any other special rules?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Working on Kirke's swing contest video. Here's where it stands so far, about halfway done:

I also thought this was interesting: one of the videos we shot this year is the same club (hybrid) and hole as last year's video. Here are Kirke's age 7 and 8 swings side by side:

Full WITB with pictures

The next two events on Kirke's calendar: tournaments this upcoming Monday and the following Monday from the UPGA Junior Tour.

Full WITB with pictures

This is awesome stuff.

Remind me, how old is Kirke?  And, on average, on a well struck drive how far is he hitting it?

That DCP scoresheet would make it look like he ran away with it at the local level; do I read that right?  Where did he seem to really have an edge on the competition?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

9 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

This is awesome stuff.

Remind me, how old is Kirke?  And, on average, on a well struck drive how far is he hitting it?

That DCP scoresheet would make it look like he ran away with it at the local level; do I read that right?  Where did he seem to really have an edge on the competition?

Kirke is 8; he turns 9 at the end of the year.

As for driving distance, it's funny. At the beginning of this season, it almost seemed like he lost distance compared to last year. He was getting really frustrated. Using the US Kids recommended distances, his course got 300 yards longer over the winter. That would be challenging for any of us, but especially so when he's going from 1,500 to 1,800. Imagine lengthening your course by 20%; if you play at 6,500 yards, you'd be moving to 7,800 (the tips at Kiawah).

So not only did his course get longer, but despite doing a bunch of speed training work, he seemed to be hitting the ball way less efficiently. He also decided to tee the ball really high for a while, leading to a bunch of high floaters, almost pop ups.

Somehow, over the last month or so, he's totally turned it around. He's really swinging the club fast and hitting the ball really solid. Check out this motion:

So that's a long winded answer. What I'd say is that he pretty comfortably drives the ball 135+. He's had a couple when conditions were just right that got him out to 160.

As for DCP: the field in his local this year (all due regard to the other boys) wasn't terribly strong. I may have posted this here: Kirke's first round score two years ago, when he was 7, would have taken first. Two years, ago, he finished T3 and was eliminated on the tiebreak.

So I expect that the next round will be much more difficult. I don't think Kirke is going to be as long as the longest drivers in his age group, although he did finish second out of five in driving despite getting zero points on one drive that bounced OB. In general, in a stronger field, I'd expect him to rack up points in putting, do very well in chipping, and then be about average in driving.

Full WITB with pictures

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tournament 2: Timber Stone Golf Course, Iron Mountain, MI

Kirke's tee time was 8:00am; that meant that accounting for the two hour drive, I was up before 5 this morning. On the plus side, the course is in central time; the eastern time courses are real killers when the tee time is early. For this trip, Christopher came along to join Kirke's fan club.

Upon arrival, we found out two things. The first is that there weren't many kids at all at this event. The second is that there was no one else in Kirke's age group. The very young man who was running the event hadn't set out special tees for the youngest players (I bear him no ill will at all; it sounds like this was dropped in his lap last minute).

So that meant Kirke would either play in a tournament by himself from the 150 stakes (or something like that), or go up an age group. The youngest group they planned for was just playing the most forward course tees.

I need you to grasp how big a deal that is. Kirke's home yardage, based on the US Kids recommendations, is 1,800 for nine holes. The most forward tees at Timber Stone are just under 2,600 yards. Take your normal yardage and add 40% to it and let me know what you're feeling! 🙂

Nonetheless, Kirke and I decided to go for it. He'd win his age group by default, and he'd at least have other kids playing the same course as he was. Here was the group he was playing with:

20210705_104713.jpg

The tallest kid was playing a few sets of tees back. But the other three were playing from the same tees as Kirke. I'm gonna guess that they're all at least 11?

As expected, it was a challenging round. Kirke started off double/double. He continued to grind. He bogeyed a couple of holes. I thought things were really going to go off the rails at holes 6 and 7, where he went quad then triple. But he made a really nice par on a 135-yard par 3 at 8.

He ended up finishing with a 17-over 53. In the middle of the round, I was hoping he'd take a run at breaking 50. Nonetheless, it was an amazing accomplishment, considering the distance he was playing from.

So when we got back to the clubhouse and turned in our cards, it turns out that Kirke not only won his age group (by default), but he also bested the older boys who were playing from the same tees:

20210705_105921.jpg

So far, then, that makes two tournaments and two wins for Kirke this season. He's got another event next Monday. Definitely hoping for better turnout and a course set up for him, but whatever happens, we'll keep having fun.

Well done Kirke👍

Edited by Rickp
Added e end of Kirke, autocorrect!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tournament 3: Portage Lake Golf Course, Houghton, MI

I received the tee sheet from the tournament director last Friday. At that time, no one was signed up in Kirke's age division, so I had agreed to have Kirke move up in the 10-11 year olds. This would have been more reasonable than the last round, because they were setting tees at 2,100 yards for that age group, about 300 yards longer than Kirke's typically distance.

Monday was another early morning; Kirke's tee time was schedule for 8:30 Eastern time. We live in the Central time zone, so that meant that, to make the two-hour drive with enough time for Kirke to get loose (he's always loose; he's 8), we left the house at 5am. I'm still yawning.

But when we arrived Monday morning, we found that two boys had signed up in Kirke's age group. So he'd be able to play from 1,800 against kids his own age.

Playing from a more reasonable set of tees than the last round, Kirke cruised to a tidy 3-over 39. Other than a double-bogey on a par 3 (he was tricked by a green that had a lot more slope than he was seeing), he played really, really well. The course closes with its two par 5s back to back; both were playing about 250 (which is relatively short for Kirke), and he birdied both. Cutting to the chase, here's his final putt for birdie:

The leaderboard tells the story: he won here pretty comfortably:

20210712_103256.jpg

Once again, as the winners were announced, you can pick Kirke out of the lineup by finding the smallest kid 🙂

20210712_112020.jpg

On our way home, we stopped at Culver's for lunch and had to snap a quick picture with the sign of a neighboring store which was too perfect:

20210712_113831.jpg

Kirke's got two tournaments left in the UPGA Junior Tour, both the final week of July. I'll be out of town for those. The season-ending championship event is on August 16; the website says that the winners qualify to play at Michigan State for the Golf Association of Michigan Junior Invitational in September, although that may be only the older age divisions (I'm not sure).

Congratulations on another win @Kirke

21 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

20210712_103256.jpg

I know the older kids hit from longer distances but that score of 39 and not have anyone even close it is really impressive. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I know the older kids hit from longer distances but that score of 39 and not have anyone even close it is really impressive. 

Yes a 15 shot lead is a huge win. Giving up yardage with that kind of lead shows how good he is

On 7/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tournament 3: Portage Lake Golf Course, Houghton, MI

I received the tee sheet from the tournament director last Friday. At that time, no one was signed up in Kirke's age division, so I had agreed to have Kirke move up in the 10-11 year olds. This would have been more reasonable than the last round, because they were setting tees at 2,100 yards for that age group, about 300 yards longer than Kirke's typically distance.

Monday was another early morning; Kirke's tee time was schedule for 8:30 Eastern time. We live in the Central time zone, so that meant that, to make the two-hour drive with enough time for Kirke to get loose (he's always loose; he's 8), we left the house at 5am. I'm still yawning.

But when we arrived Monday morning, we found that two boys had signed up in Kirke's age group. So he'd be able to play from 1,800 against kids his own age.

Playing from a more reasonable set of tees than the last round, Kirke cruised to a tidy 3-over 39. Other than a double-bogey on a par 3 (he was tricked by a green that had a lot more slope than he was seeing), he played really, really well. The course closes with its two par 5s back to back; both were playing about 250 (which is relatively short for Kirke), and he birdied both. Cutting to the chase, here's his final putt for birdie:

20210712_103256.jpg

Once again, as the winners were announced, you can pick Kirke out of the lineup by finding the smallest kid 🙂

20210712_112020.jpg

On our way home, we stopped at Culver's for lunch and had to snap a quick picture with the sign of a neighboring store which was too perfect:

20210712_113831.jpg

Kirke's got two tournaments left in the UPGA Junior Tour, both the final week of July. I'll be out of town for those. The season-ending championship event is on August 16; the website says that the winners qualify to play at Michigan State for the Golf Association of Michigan Junior Invitational in September, although that may be only the older age divisions (I'm not sure).

This is awesome! Congrats Kirke! Hoping my son will dominate like Kirke does when he gets to be 8! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Congrats to Kirke!!!   

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Congrats Kirke.

I love this thread!

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

• 3 weeks later...

@GolfSpy MPR hopefully you are keeping the score cards would be a great item to hold on too as he plays in more and gets older. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Summary of Kirke's Week of July 26–28

Last week, I was away speaking at a camp in Colorado. Not only was I out of town, but the camp was cut off from all wireless signals, which was a glorious respite.

While I was gone, Kirke had two tournaments. Monday, he played at Wawonowin Country Club in Ishpeming. Wednesday, he played at Oak Crest Golf Club in Norway, Michigan. Both were (as typical here) pretty limited fields, and Kirke won both. That puts him at five tournaments entered and five wins for this summer.

He also had an 8U AYSO soccer game Tuesday night, in which he scored four goals (at least; my wife says she might have lost count).

This Week: DCP Sub-Regionals!

This week is big: Kirke's sub-regional round for Drive, Chip, and Putt is this Thursday. There are 18 boys in Kirke's age group at SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Wisconsin; he has to be one of the top two to advance to Medinah in September.

he has that Tiger mentality. 

Side note, enjoy Sentry World! Beautiful private course and they are going to host a LPGA major next year i think. Its a small town. Be sure to take him to Belt's for soft serve ice cream! I went to undergrad in that town so i can recommend some things to do.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 8/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Summary of Kirke's Week of July 26–28

Last week, I was away speaking at a camp in Colorado. Not only was I out of town, but the camp was cut off from all wireless signals, which was a glorious respite.

While I was gone, Kirke had two tournaments. Monday, he played at Wawonowin Country Club in Ishpeming. Wednesday, he played at Oak Crest Golf Club in Norway, Michigan. Both were (as typical here) pretty limited fields, and Kirke won both. That puts him at five tournaments entered and five wins for this summer.

He also had an 8U AYSO soccer game Tuesday night, in which he scored four goals (at least; my wife says she might have lost count).

This Week: DCP Sub-Regionals!

This week is big: Kirke's sub-regional round for Drive, Chip, and Putt is this Thursday. There are 18 boys in Kirke's age group at SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Wisconsin; he has to be one of the top two to advance to Medinah in September.

I noticed on IG you picked up a new set of US Kids sticks for Kirke, nice!  

I also noticed you went Tour Series versus the Ultralights.  No doubt Kirke is clearly advanced and qualifies for the Tour Series line, but I've been shopping for my 7-year old's next set (he's almost into that 51-54" set) and the premium seems kind of steep to me given that he's going to keep on growing, probably quicker than I think too!  I felt bad this morning when my boy told me the coach at his camp said he needs a sand wedge, his current Ultralight 5-club set stops at PW.

Mind sharing your thoughts on the clubs you selected for him and why?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1: