A thread about Kirke: a return to Medinah!

GolfSpy MPR

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tournament 3: Portage Lake Golf Course, Houghton, MI

I received the tee sheet from the tournament director last Friday. At that time, no one was signed up in Kirke's age division, so I had agreed to have Kirke move up in the 10-11 year olds. This would have been more reasonable than the last round, because they were setting tees at 2,100 yards for that age group, about 300 yards longer than Kirke's typically distance.

Monday was another early morning; Kirke's tee time was schedule for 8:30 Eastern time. We live in the Central time zone, so that meant that, to make the two-hour drive with enough time for Kirke to get loose (he's always loose; he's 8), we left the house at 5am. I'm still yawning.

But when we arrived Monday morning, we found that two boys had signed up in Kirke's age group. So he'd be able to play from 1,800 against kids his own age.

Playing from a more reasonable set of tees than the last round, Kirke cruised to a tidy 3-over 39. Other than a double-bogey on a par 3 (he was tricked by a green that had a lot more slope than he was seeing), he played really, really well. The course closes with its two par 5s back to back; both were playing about 250 (which is relatively short for Kirke), and he birdied both. Cutting to the chase, here's his final putt for birdie:

The leaderboard tells the story: he won here pretty comfortably:

20210712_103256.jpg

Once again, as the winners were announced, you can pick Kirke out of the lineup by finding the smallest kid 🙂

20210712_112020.jpg

On our way home, we stopped at Culver's for lunch and had to snap a quick picture with the sign of a neighboring store which was too perfect:

20210712_113831.jpg

Kirke's got two tournaments left in the UPGA Junior Tour, both the final week of July. I'll be out of town for those. The season-ending championship event is on August 16; the website says that the winners qualify to play at Michigan State for the Golf Association of Michigan Junior Invitational in September, although that may be only the older age divisions (I'm not sure).

Congratulations on another win @Kirke

• Like 4

21 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

20210712_103256.jpg

I know the older kids hit from longer distances but that score of 39 and not have anyone even close it is really impressive. 

• Like 4

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I know the older kids hit from longer distances but that score of 39 and not have anyone even close it is really impressive. 

Yes a 15 shot lead is a huge win. Giving up yardage with that kind of lead shows how good he is

• Like 5

On 7/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tournament 3: Portage Lake Golf Course, Houghton, MI

I received the tee sheet from the tournament director last Friday. At that time, no one was signed up in Kirke's age division, so I had agreed to have Kirke move up in the 10-11 year olds. This would have been more reasonable than the last round, because they were setting tees at 2,100 yards for that age group, about 300 yards longer than Kirke's typically distance.

Monday was another early morning; Kirke's tee time was schedule for 8:30 Eastern time. We live in the Central time zone, so that meant that, to make the two-hour drive with enough time for Kirke to get loose (he's always loose; he's 8), we left the house at 5am. I'm still yawning.

But when we arrived Monday morning, we found that two boys had signed up in Kirke's age group. So he'd be able to play from 1,800 against kids his own age.

Playing from a more reasonable set of tees than the last round, Kirke cruised to a tidy 3-over 39. Other than a double-bogey on a par 3 (he was tricked by a green that had a lot more slope than he was seeing), he played really, really well. The course closes with its two par 5s back to back; both were playing about 250 (which is relatively short for Kirke), and he birdied both. Cutting to the chase, here's his final putt for birdie:

20210712_103256.jpg

Once again, as the winners were announced, you can pick Kirke out of the lineup by finding the smallest kid 🙂

20210712_112020.jpg

On our way home, we stopped at Culver's for lunch and had to snap a quick picture with the sign of a neighboring store which was too perfect:

20210712_113831.jpg

Kirke's got two tournaments left in the UPGA Junior Tour, both the final week of July. I'll be out of town for those. The season-ending championship event is on August 16; the website says that the winners qualify to play at Michigan State for the Golf Association of Michigan Junior Invitational in September, although that may be only the older age divisions (I'm not sure).

This is awesome! Congrats Kirke! Hoping my son will dominate like Kirke does when he gets to be 8! 

• Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :Sub70: Pro (13*)

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Congrats to Kirke!!!   

• Like 1

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Congrats Kirke.

I love this thread!

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Speed
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X   5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag - :755178188_TourEdge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

• 3 weeks later...

@GolfSpy MPR hopefully you are keeping the score cards would be a great item to hold on too as he plays in more and gets older. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Summary of Kirke's Week of July 26–28

Last week, I was away speaking at a camp in Colorado. Not only was I out of town, but the camp was cut off from all wireless signals, which was a glorious respite.

While I was gone, Kirke had two tournaments. Monday, he played at Wawonowin Country Club in Ishpeming. Wednesday, he played at Oak Crest Golf Club in Norway, Michigan. Both were (as typical here) pretty limited fields, and Kirke won both. That puts him at five tournaments entered and five wins for this summer.

He also had an 8U AYSO soccer game Tuesday night, in which he scored four goals (at least; my wife says she might have lost count).

This Week: DCP Sub-Regionals!

This week is big: Kirke's sub-regional round for Drive, Chip, and Putt is this Thursday. There are 18 boys in Kirke's age group at SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Wisconsin; he has to be one of the top two to advance to Medinah in September.

he has that Tiger mentality. 

Side note, enjoy Sentry World! Beautiful private course and they are going to host a LPGA major next year i think. Its a small town. Be sure to take him to Belt's for soft serve ice cream! I went to undergrad in that town so i can recommend some things to do.

• Like 5

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/2" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue  :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 115 in the MGS Speed Challenge

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 8/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Summary of Kirke's Week of July 26–28

Last week, I was away speaking at a camp in Colorado. Not only was I out of town, but the camp was cut off from all wireless signals, which was a glorious respite.

While I was gone, Kirke had two tournaments. Monday, he played at Wawonowin Country Club in Ishpeming. Wednesday, he played at Oak Crest Golf Club in Norway, Michigan. Both were (as typical here) pretty limited fields, and Kirke won both. That puts him at five tournaments entered and five wins for this summer.

He also had an 8U AYSO soccer game Tuesday night, in which he scored four goals (at least; my wife says she might have lost count).

This Week: DCP Sub-Regionals!

This week is big: Kirke's sub-regional round for Drive, Chip, and Putt is this Thursday. There are 18 boys in Kirke's age group at SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Wisconsin; he has to be one of the top two to advance to Medinah in September.

I noticed on IG you picked up a new set of US Kids sticks for Kirke, nice!  

I also noticed you went Tour Series versus the Ultralights.  No doubt Kirke is clearly advanced and qualifies for the Tour Series line, but I've been shopping for my 7-year old's next set (he's almost into that 51-54" set) and the premium seems kind of steep to me given that he's going to keep on growing, probably quicker than I think too!  I felt bad this morning when my boy told me the coach at his camp said he needs a sand wedge, his current Ultralight 5-club set stops at PW.

Mind sharing your thoughts on the clubs you selected for him and why?

• Like 2

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Click here for my in progress Arccos Caddie Bundle test!

On 8/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

I noticed on IG you picked up a new set of US Kids sticks for Kirke, nice!  

I also noticed you went Tour Series versus the Ultralights.  No doubt Kirke is clearly advanced and qualifies for the Tour Series line, but I've been shopping for my 7-year old's next set (he's almost into that 51-54" set) and the premium seems kind of steep to me given that he's going to keep on growing, probably quicker than I think too!  I felt bad this morning when my boy told me the coach at his camp said he needs a sand wedge, his current Ultralight 5-club set stops at PW.

Mind sharing your thoughts on the clubs you selected for him and why?

Great question.

So first: I totally agree with your steep evaluation. The list price on the TS series set for Kirke was $580. That's not a trivial amount of money. And I'll be frank: it isn't money I think I would spend outright on a set for Kirke right now. On a cash basis, I'm still a big fan of Diamond Tour's products.

But for this, I gathered up a bunch of clubs in my basement that were gathering dust and traded them. That made it a lot easier to justify the expenditure.

Right now, the set we got is the 54+, which is too tall for Kirke. It's really obvious in the wedges; he's either choking down multiple inches or the toe of the club is way off the ground at address.

If I weren't trading clubs in, I don't think we would have gone with this set, just for price reasons. I seriously do not expect that the irons will evidence any performance benefits over the DTG junior clubs. I have higher hopes that the driver will offer higher performance. In addition, DTG's wedges are of the same design as their irons; they are not "specialty" wedge shaped. Given that Kirke loves manipulating wedge shots, I really wanted to put a true wedge head in his hands.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated with our thoughts on the clubs as he plays them next season. He put the driver in play right away for his round of DCP this week, but that will be the next post in this thread.

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TS3
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX Iron-Wood 22°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 6–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0
:taylormade-small: TP5x

Full WITB with pictures

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to A thread about Kirke | Update: ON TO MEDINAH (DCP)
7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Drive, Chip, and Putt Sub-Regional: SentryWorld (Stevens Point, WI) | August 5

We begin this event with two changes: a new driver and a new (old) putter.

As per my last post, I picked up a new set of clubs for Kirke for next season. They're the US Kids TS series clubs, but they are a size up from what he should be playing. But of course, he had to give the new driver a try, so we took it to the course Wednesday to see how it worked for him:

The reality is that, while it is too big, it wasn't hurting him at all, and on the shots where he really connected, he was launching it high and far. So he decided to put it in the bag for DCP.

Then, while he was practicing on Wednesday, he grabbed his old Cobra blade putter. Not sure what provoked him to do so, as he'd been putting with an old cut down Odyssey White Hot 7 all season. But he decided that the blade felt really comfortable in his hands again.

This causes daddy-caddie heartburn. Of course it's an irrational decision to swap putters the day before DCP. But I also have zero desire to introduce doubt into his head. So into the bag went the Cobra.

We were rolling in the van (with the whole family) at 6:00am; it's a 2.5 hour drive to Stevens Point, and Kirke was scheduled to begin his event just after 9:15.

Upon arrival, Kirke warmed up a bit, and then it was showtime. Here are his nine shots:

A couple of observations:

• As a pastor and public speaker, I'm insanely jealous of the starter's voice.
  • Kirke goes all out on his third drive.
  • As usual, he's completely no-nonsense. Every shot is fast.

As his event was unfolding, it seemed to me that he was putting up a good result. He didn't hit any obviously bad shots. So it was off to the scorer's table to turn in his card and wait.

There were 18 boys in Kirke's age group: the top two advance to the Regional round at Medinah Country Club(!). When Kirke's shots were totaled, he scored an even 100 points (find out how DCP is scored here). That gave him a commanding lead over the kids whose scores were already on the board. But there were still a lot of kids yet to finish, so the waiting began.

As the scores kept going up, no one was near Kirke's score. I was watching my fitness band, and my heartrate just kept climbing. Indeed, for a while, Kirke had not only the highest overall score, but the highest score in all three skills.

Eventually, one kid put up a higher chipping score, and then another a higher putting score. With two boys left to report, Kirke still had the highest score on the board. Both the remaining scores would have to beat him to keep him from advancing. Here is the moment that the second-to-last score went up:

So after the winners were announced, Kirke got a picture with the leaderboard (and the organizer offered to let us take the leaderboard as a momento, which was awesome!):

Congrats Kirke on the big win and here is to another big day at Medina!

• Like 7

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review)
:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5-PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i S
:Hogan: Equalizer 52°/56°  KBS Tour V 110 S | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

This is great ! Congrats good luck next round but like you said it will be fun whatever the result 

• Like 5

Good luck @ Medinah👍👍

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Incredible, good luck Kirke and fam!

• Like 4

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Huge Congrats to Kirke!!!

• Like 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to A thread about Kirke: a return to Medinah!