TESTERS WANTED! ×

A thread about Kirke

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

it will be very interested to see where this odyssey takes him!

Looks like a Dodge to me 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Hosel fade!  One of my most effective shots.  BTW, great thread!

Strange... with a name like Hook DeLoft, ida thought you duck hooked them? 😁

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Looks like a Dodge to me 🤣

Amazing.  Best one liner I’ve heard in years.

Kirke and I got out for our first 9 holes of the year yesterday. We drove about 50 minutes south to a course called Trout Lake in northern Wisconsin. Our home course has announced an opening this Saturday!

Whenever I bring Kirke somewhere new, I have to make sure I know what his course is going to be, because there aren't many courses with tees for his age group (US Kids recommends 1,800 yards for nine holes for 8 year old boys). Typically, I divide Kirke's yardage by the the total yardage to get the percentage the course needs to be reduced, and then do that for each hole. Most times that works just fine; occasionally, it would put Kirke in a water hazard or right in the end of a dogleg, and then I need to make adjustments. Happily, Trout Lake's layout worked perfectly for Kirke:

Hole 1: 190
Hole 2: 230
Hole 3: 95 (par 3)
Hole 4: 315 (par 5)
Hole 5: 100 (par 3)
Hole 6: 240
Hole 7: 270 (par 5)
Hole 8: 85 (par 3)
Hole 9: 300 (par 5)

He and I both got off to solid starts, with FIR/GIR/2 putt pars:

That's the end of my round highlights, but Kirke was just getting started. On the second, his approach just missed the green, ending up in the fringe to the right of the hole. So Kirke chipped in for birdie.

The next hole, the 95 yard par 3, Kirke hit hybrid pin-high then rolled in a smooth 10-12 footer for another birdie:

He concluded his round without further fireworks: par, bogey, par, par, par, par. 13 total putts.

I'm gonna be honest: had I played from his tees, he probably would have beaten me yesterday. The kid's in midseason form—or if he's not, midseason form is going to be crazy good.

I do so much work on my swing, and it will never look this good:

All told, it was a perfect day. Great weather, great walk, and a lot of fun. I'm thrilled that spring came early up here, because it means lots of days like this with my son:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for some ideas, guys.

For each of the past two years, I've put together a video of Kirke's swing for this contest for the best junior golf swing. Kirke's never placed, and that's totally OK. We have fun making the video, and I know that in the future, I'll be glad to have these year-by-year memories of how his swing developed.

The first year we did this (age 6), the deadline was early in the year, which means we still had snow on the ground. So I compiled a video that was mostly his swings in our basement along with some clips:

Last year, we made two versions of his video. Initially, they had the same earlier due date, so I just put together mostly videos of Kirke from the previous summer:

But then the world shut down, and for that reason, they extended the deadline late enough for the snow to melt. This enabled us to go to the course one evening a shoot a bunch of footage especially for the contest. And it was the first time that I did a little more work on the editing side. I'll be honest: I've probably watched this video a hundred times, and I enjoy it every time:

In the next few weeks, we're going to start assembling his video for this year's contest. At this point, it doesn't have much of anything to do with winning the contest. That would be fun, for sure, but I honestly just enjoy putting together a showcase of Kirke's swing, and Kirke also gets a kick out of it.

I've got some ideas for shots I want to capture for this year's video. Two so far:

• The opening shot this year will be a drone shot from directly overhead, with Kirke's name and age on the grass to the side of his swing.
  • I'm planning to bring a couple of tripods, and I want to have at least one swing in which I put the down-the-line and face-on video playing at the same time.

I'll have with me at least three HD cameras (my current phone, an iPhone 6, and a knockoff GoPro) and a 4K drone. I also have a mirrorless Sony with a lens that zooms (though not extreme).

What golf swing video shots have you seen that you thought were pretty cool? I thought I'd tap into the experience of the Forum for different ideas that would be fun.

Full WITB with pictures

Do it for the personal memories.  you will always be able to go back and see your son growing up.  Those are memories that cant be replaced and will cherish forever. 

But from a contest perspective We’re you able to view the winning videos?  How are they judged?  What do you think separates them from yours?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Do it for the personal memories.  you will always be able to go back and see your son growing up.  Those are memories that cant be replaced and will cherish forever. 

But from a contest perspective We’re you able to view the winning videos?  How are they judged?  What do you think separates them from yours?  

The judging is done based on the swings, not the video per se.

Here were the winners from last year, and I've linked it to where Kirke's age group starts:

All three of those chosen to win have great looking swings, so I don't have any complaints there. Cameron's swing is not only good-looking but incredibly powerful; I've chatted with his dad on Twitter and Cameron is definitely a lot bigger than Kirke is.

So I honestly don't sweat the results. Obviously, I think Kirke has a good-looking swing and I know he can also play really well. Other kids also have good-looking swings, and judging who has the "best" swing is not easy and it's not something that has clear objective criteria.

For instance, if you're on Twitter, you should be following Donnie Solesbee. Just an absolutely awesome story: he's been a golf fitness instructor. He and his wife adopted a young girl named Autumn. They took her to play golf (she'd never swung a club before in her life). Just over a year later, she has one of the prettiest swings you'll ever see and has qualified for the US Kids World Championship at Pinehurst. Look at this swing!

I have no idea if Donnie and Autumn are submitting a swing for this contest, but if they are, Kirke has no chance. I mean, I'd vote for Autumn over Kirke just on swing aesthetics.

So while it would be fun to place or win, this really truly is a chance for us to make memories and to put together a swing video that we can enjoy and that (I think) other people can enjoy as well. I'm obviously biased, but I love watching Kirke's swing and I like sharing it with others.

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

A couple of Kirke updates.

The most important news is that next week, Kirke has both his first tournament of the year and his first round of Drive, Chip, and Putt. These are back-to-back days, 2+ hour drives each way in totally opposite directions:

SmartSelect_20210608-135210_Maps.jpg

I think his game is in pretty good shape right now. He had a few weeks during which he insisted on teeing his drives really high, only to continue to hit weak skyballs. But he's stubborn. Evenually, he decided to lower his tee a bit and is back to driving the ball pretty well.

A couple of weeks back, I was attending a conference. An acquaintence invited Kirke to play at his country club down in the Chicago area, so I got to tag along and play (probably not the last time I get to play golf somewhere nice because of Kirke). Our host graciously extended the invitation that, should Kirke get through his local qualifying at Spooner and then the next round at SentryWorld, we could stay with him for the DCP event at Medinah. I'm really hoping Kirke makes it that far.

Last night, we went to the course to begin filming Kirke's entry for the swing video contest I mentioned above. I've come up with a handful of ideas. One drone shot I wanted just wasn't happening, but we got a couple of others that should look good. I also really like this split screen view:

I've got one more video idea that we attempted to film last night, but I don't think the footage we got is going to work. So it might be a little bit longer before I'm able to get this year's video in its final form.

GOOD LUCK to Kirke next week!!!!!!!

Cant see the video (work firewall) but I am sure is a great video like all the others.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

This was just fun:

Full WITB with pictures

congrats to Kirke! Sure it was a full day of fun and pride! Can’t wait to read about it

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Way to go Kirke! keep it up man.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Full writeup to come (probably tomorrow, when I've gotten a night's sleep), but the short version: Kirke shot a really solid round of golf and claimed his first ever tournament championship!

20210615_131541.jpg

Congratulations 👍

I’m sure 1st of many👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Awesome congrats to you and your son ! 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Great shooting kid!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Congrats, Kirke! Now play Dad for $5 a hole, but get some strokes!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

so awesome! what an amazing early father's day present for you.  huge congrats to Kirke!

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Look like he had a convincing win by the numbers, winning by either 4 or 6 shots. Not sure if that's a 36 or 38.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

15 minutes ago, MattF said:

Look like he had a convincing win by the numbers, winning by either 4 or 6 shots. Not sure if that's a 36 or 38.

The number on the scoreboard is a 38. If (as we think) Kirke's score on the 4th hole should be a 4 instead of a 5, he shot a 37.

Full WITB with pictures

A YOOPER?! No way!!! I didn’t know that. As a Michigan resident for the first 20 years of my life, I never crossed into the Dark Lands of the UP! 

MPR, does this mean he signed for the wrong score?! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

A YOOPER?! No way!!! I didn’t know that. As a Michigan resident for the first 20 years of my life, I never crossed into the Dark Lands of the UP! 

MPR, does this mean he signed for the wrong score?! 

No, as I noted: no one signed scorecards. I've never been to one of these events before, so I don't know if that's normal or atypical. But Kirke turned in the card for the boy whose round he was recording, and the director just entered the scores. The other kid never reviewed it. It was the same for each boy.

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Kirke hasn't learned yet how to use a rangefinder. For most of his rounds, he has a GPS watch strapped to his bag. Again, we didn't bring that because we didn't think he'd use it. So he was back to old school golf: sprinkler heads and eyeballing distances on a course he never played before.

this blew my mind, I feel like eyeballing and using the sprinkler head is a lost art. My buddy plays like this he will grab 2-3 clubs eyeball take a couple of swings and just puts it where he wants it... amazing great job Kirke ! Good luck on the next one 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Awesome, Kirke! 

Nice couple of days there.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

32 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Back to back competitions. Back to back first place finishes:

IMG_20210616_123226.jpg

Kirke is through Local qualifying and on to the Sub-Regional round!

Way to go Kirke!!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review