Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

A thread about Kirke

On 8/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

I noticed on IG you picked up a new set of US Kids sticks for Kirke, nice!  

I also noticed you went Tour Series versus the Ultralights.  No doubt Kirke is clearly advanced and qualifies for the Tour Series line, but I've been shopping for my 7-year old's next set (he's almost into that 51-54" set) and the premium seems kind of steep to me given that he's going to keep on growing, probably quicker than I think too!  I felt bad this morning when my boy told me the coach at his camp said he needs a sand wedge, his current Ultralight 5-club set stops at PW.

Mind sharing your thoughts on the clubs you selected for him and why?

Great question.

So first: I totally agree with your steep evaluation. The list price on the TS series set for Kirke was $580. That's not a trivial amount of money. And I'll be frank: it isn't money I think I would spend outright on a set for Kirke right now. On a cash basis, I'm still a big fan of Diamond Tour's products.

But for this, I gathered up a bunch of clubs in my basement that were gathering dust and traded them. That made it a lot easier to justify the expenditure.

Right now, the set we got is the 54+, which is too tall for Kirke. It's really obvious in the wedges; he's either choking down multiple inches or the toe of the club is way off the ground at address.

If I weren't trading clubs in, I don't think we would have gone with this set, just for price reasons. I seriously do not expect that the irons will evidence any performance benefits over the DTG junior clubs. I have higher hopes that the driver will offer higher performance. In addition, DTG's wedges are of the same design as their irons; they are not "specialty" wedge shaped. Given that Kirke loves manipulating wedge shots, I really wanted to put a true wedge head in his hands.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated with our thoughts on the clubs as he plays them next season. He put the driver in play right away for his round of DCP this week, but that will be the next post in this thread.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to A thread about Kirke | Update: ON TO MEDINAH (DCP)
7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Drive, Chip, and Putt Sub-Regional: SentryWorld (Stevens Point, WI) | August 5

We begin this event with two changes: a new driver and a new (old) putter.

As per my last post, I picked up a new set of clubs for Kirke for next season. They're the US Kids TS series clubs, but they are a size up from what he should be playing. But of course, he had to give the new driver a try, so we took it to the course Wednesday to see how it worked for him:

The reality is that, while it is too big, it wasn't hurting him at all, and on the shots where he really connected, he was launching it high and far. So he decided to put it in the bag for DCP.

Then, while he was practicing on Wednesday, he grabbed his old Cobra blade putter. Not sure what provoked him to do so, as he'd been putting with an old cut down Odyssey White Hot 7 all season. But he decided that the blade felt really comfortable in his hands again.

This causes daddy-caddie heartburn. Of course it's an irrational decision to swap putters the day before DCP. But I also have zero desire to introduce doubt into his head. So into the bag went the Cobra.

We were rolling in the van (with the whole family) at 6:00am; it's a 2.5 hour drive to Stevens Point, and Kirke was scheduled to begin his event just after 9:15.

Upon arrival, Kirke warmed up a bit, and then it was showtime. Here are his nine shots:

A couple of observations:

• As a pastor and public speaker, I'm insanely jealous of the starter's voice.
  • Kirke goes all out on his third drive.
  • As usual, he's completely no-nonsense. Every shot is fast.

As his event was unfolding, it seemed to me that he was putting up a good result. He didn't hit any obviously bad shots. So it was off to the scorer's table to turn in his card and wait.

There were 18 boys in Kirke's age group: the top two advance to the Regional round at Medinah Country Club(!). When Kirke's shots were totaled, he scored an even 100 points (find out how DCP is scored here). That gave him a commanding lead over the kids whose scores were already on the board. But there were still a lot of kids yet to finish, so the waiting began.

As the scores kept going up, no one was near Kirke's score. I was watching my fitness band, and my heartrate just kept climbing. Indeed, for a while, Kirke had not only the highest overall score, but the highest score in all three skills.

Eventually, one kid put up a higher chipping score, and then another a higher putting score. With two boys left to report, Kirke still had the highest score on the board. Both the remaining scores would have to beat him to keep him from advancing. Here is the moment that the second-to-last score went up:

So after the winners were announced, Kirke got a picture with the leaderboard (and the organizer offered to let us take the leaderboard as a momento, which was awesome!):

Congrats Kirke on the big win and here is to another big day at Medina!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

This is great ! Congrats good luck next round but like you said it will be fun whatever the result 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Good luck @ Medinah👍👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Incredible, good luck Kirke and fam!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Huge Congrats to Kirke!!!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I'm late in congratulating Kirke.  That's absolutely fantastic.  Can't wait to see take his group in Madinah. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Congrats Kirke! That’s very exciting! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tomorrow morning is likely Kirke's last tournament of this season. He'll be playing the UPGA Junior Tour Championship in Gladstone, MI.

Gladstone is a three hour drive from here, and (unfortunately) it's just across the time zone line. That means we'll be rolling out around 4am. I'd certainly love to see him cap off his season (five events so far, five wins) with another win. In any case, we're looking to enjoy the day. After his round (and lunch), we're going to play a round together at the course hosting the event.

Good luck and enjoy both rounds👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Good job by Kirke keeping a good attitude during the round when he doesn't have his 'A' game!  We all have those frustrating days.... more often than not for me. 

By the way.....that video of what you called a s---k doesn't meet the threshold for me....that is simply a miss to the right!  Mine are much uglier, faster & further right with no elevation and a loud anguished cry of pain immediately after impact adding to the effect.   😆

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Good job by Kirke keeping a good attitude during the round when he doesn't have his 'A' game!  We all have those frustrating days.... more often than not for me. 

By the way.....that video of what you called a s---k doesn't meet the threshold for me....that is simply a miss to the right!  Mine are much uglier, faster & further right with no elevation and a loud anguished cry of pain immediately after impact adding to the effect.   😆

I appreciate your defense of Kirke here. But the reality is that this was the kind of shank that was so shanky that I'm not even sure he hit any part of the face. If Kirke had had a shaft in his hands with no head, just a weighted hosel, I think the shot would have been exactly the same:

image.png

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Couple of updates:

First, Kirke has regained his ability to hit golf balls. So that's good.

As evidence of this, yesterday Kirke and I played as a team in a two-man par 3 scramble at our course. The holes were all set up within the normal course. The longest hole was about 130 yards. There were two really short holes, at 30 and 40 yards or so. The 30 yard shot was particularly insidious: the shot was blind over a hill, and the pin was tucked just barely past the hill.

Kirke and I had a blast playing together. We started with just the two of us. After parring the first, I hit a LW to the second green and Kirke poured in our first birdie from just over 12 feet. For the most part, Kirke putts second when we scramble. When he sees the line, he's a really amazing putter.

We parred the next five holes, some because we just didn't hit our tee shots close enough, and a couple of times because we needed to scramble for our par. Here's Kirke's tee shot on 3 that was right on line but just barely caught the front of the green:

When we got to 8, there was a sixsome on the green and a foursome waiting to tee off. Ugh. So we joined with the second foursome. Kirke loves to play in front of an audience, and hit a nifty 60 yard shot to about five feet. I made the birdie putt.

After a testy par (and our longest par putt) on 9 (another tough position for a 50 yard shot), we passed the first sixsome at the turn when they stopped for drinks. We parred 10, and then things got fun.

The 11th was a 115 yard setup, with the tees under a tree branch. It required the adults to hit a punch-and-run, but it's Kirke's stock hybrid shot 🙂. So he hit a perfect hybrid that scared the hole and finished inside 3 feet. Another birdie, and we're 3 under.

We also birdied 12 and 13. On both holes, Kirke hit good shots, but I got inside his ball and we rolled in the putts. Ordinary par on 14. Hole 15 was that blind 30 yarder I mentioned. Kirke hit his on the green but miles from the hole. I tried a spectacularly unsuccessful flop shot that was just chunked. But I cozied the long putt to about six inches, so we escaped with another par.

I birdied 16 to get us to -6, and then we finished with a couple of scrambling pars on 17 (135 yards) and 18 (120 yards). We had a blast!

Today, I heard from the course manager that our score (with tiebreaks) won the par 3 contest! So that was cool. We entered just because it was going to be fun. Winning the whole thing with my son is icing on the cake.

Second Update: DCP at Medinah

The Regional round of DCP is now just a week and a half away. We'll roll out early next Friday morning. We got an email from DCP that Medinah will be open for practice on Friday night, so we're certainly planning to take advantage of that. Also, the tee times have been posted here: https://www.drivechipandputt.com/2022/regional-qualifier/medinah-country-club

I believe that page updates in pretty close to real time once each player turns in his score. So if you want to follow along, you should be able to see the results there. As I mentioned before, there are 14 boys in Kirke's age division. Only the winner advances to Augusta. At this stage, every one of these boys is skilled and could advance; the winner (as cliché as it is) is just going to be the one who hits the best nine shots that day.

We're definitely going to take in and enjoy the experience as much as possible. Hoping to play 18 on Friday when we arrive in Chicago, then head to Medinah for practice. Kirke's on the tee at 1:00pm Saturday; by 2:00 we'll know the results, and we'll all load back up in the minivan headed north to be back for Sunday services.

That finish! I wish I had that type of balance still! Great way to keep the head on Kirke (and Dad) he took the struggle like a champ and recouped.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

12 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

That finish! I wish I had that type of balance still!

I'll take his finish, but given what I'm working on in my own swing...

Full WITB with pictures

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll take his finish, but given what I'm working on in my own swing...

If you get it and have extra, send one my way. 

Best of luck at Medinah! I think it'll be a great experience for both you and Kirke and I am looking forward to reading about your experience. Have fun!

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to A thread about Kirke
5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Kirke came with me to the church today. He's getting in some foam ball practice. This move is absolutely bonkers:

He’s definitely gotten bigger over the winter.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I put on the golf channel and the putt chip drive nationals are on. How far did Kirke make it?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 4/3/2022 at 9:10 AM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I put on the golf channel and the putt chip drive nationals are on. How far did Kirke make it?

Kirke got to Medinah last year, which is the Regional level (Local >> Sub-Regional >> Regional). At Medinah, he didn't hit bad shots, but other than holing his 6-foot putt, he simply didn't really hit any good ones (for him). He ended up finishing 9th of the 14 boys in his age group: https://www.drivechipandputt.com/2022/regional-qualifier/medinah-country-club

Looking forward to the year ahead for DCP. Kirke's "little" brother is 7 and so is eligible to compete for the first time. Christopher is my moose; although he's only 7, he absolutely dwarfs his older brother:

image.png

He's not quite so smooth as Kirke with a club, nor is he as driven to compete. But he enjoys the game and his driver swing speed is almost exactly where Kirke's is. If he makes solid contact, he might advance a round or two in the youngest age group just on driver distance alone.

EDIT: Here's Christopher's swing. He popped this one up, but the brute force is his move is pretty apparent:

Full WITB with pictures

• 4 months later...
  • GolfSpy MPR changed the title to A thread about Kirke: a return to Medinah!

Congrats to him and by the way a great looking family! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart