A thread about Kirke | Update: ON TO MEDINAH (DCP)

GolfSpy MPR

Huge Congrats to Kirke!!!

• Like 3

Modern Bag:  Sub70 849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;  Titleist 915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I'm late in congratulating Kirke.  That's absolutely fantastic.  Can't wait to see take his group in Madinah. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Congrats Kirke! That’s very exciting! 

• Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Tomorrow morning is likely Kirke's last tournament of this season. He'll be playing the UPGA Junior Tour Championship in Gladstone, MI.

Gladstone is a three hour drive from here, and (unfortunately) it's just across the time zone line. That means we'll be rolling out around 4am. I'd certainly love to see him cap off his season (five events so far, five wins) with another win. In any case, we're looking to enjoy the day. After his round (and lunch), we're going to play a round together at the course hosting the event.

Good luck and enjoy both rounds👍

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Good job by Kirke keeping a good attitude during the round when he doesn't have his 'A' game!  We all have those frustrating days.... more often than not for me. 

By the way.....that video of what you called a s---k doesn't meet the threshold for me....that is simply a miss to the right!  Mine are much uglier, faster & further right with no elevation and a loud anguished cry of pain immediately after impact adding to the effect.   😆

• Haha 4

Modern Bag:  Sub70 849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;  Titleist 915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Good job by Kirke keeping a good attitude during the round when he doesn't have his 'A' game!  We all have those frustrating days.... more often than not for me. 

By the way.....that video of what you called a s---k doesn't meet the threshold for me....that is simply a miss to the right!  Mine are much uglier, faster & further right with no elevation and a loud anguished cry of pain immediately after impact adding to the effect.   😆

I appreciate your defense of Kirke here. But the reality is that this was the kind of shank that was so shanky that I'm not even sure he hit any part of the face. If Kirke had had a shaft in his hands with no head, just a weighted hosel, I think the shot would have been exactly the same:

image.png

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0 [CURRENT MGS FORUM TEST]
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Couple of updates:

First, Kirke has regained his ability to hit golf balls. So that's good.

As evidence of this, yesterday Kirke and I played as a team in a two-man par 3 scramble at our course. The holes were all set up within the normal course. The longest hole was about 130 yards. There were two really short holes, at 30 and 40 yards or so. The 30 yard shot was particularly insidious: the shot was blind over a hill, and the pin was tucked just barely past the hill.

Kirke and I had a blast playing together. We started with just the two of us. After parring the first, I hit a LW to the second green and Kirke poured in our first birdie from just over 12 feet. For the most part, Kirke putts second when we scramble. When he sees the line, he's a really amazing putter.

We parred the next five holes, some because we just didn't hit our tee shots close enough, and a couple of times because we needed to scramble for our par. Here's Kirke's tee shot on 3 that was right on line but just barely caught the front of the green:

When we got to 8, there was a sixsome on the green and a foursome waiting to tee off. Ugh. So we joined with the second foursome. Kirke loves to play in front of an audience, and hit a nifty 60 yard shot to about five feet. I made the birdie putt.

After a testy par (and our longest par putt) on 9 (another tough position for a 50 yard shot), we passed the first sixsome at the turn when they stopped for drinks. We parred 10, and then things got fun.

The 11th was a 115 yard setup, with the tees under a tree branch. It required the adults to hit a punch-and-run, but it's Kirke's stock hybrid shot 🙂. So he hit a perfect hybrid that scared the hole and finished inside 3 feet. Another birdie, and we're 3 under.

We also birdied 12 and 13. On both holes, Kirke hit good shots, but I got inside his ball and we rolled in the putts. Ordinary par on 14. Hole 15 was that blind 30 yarder I mentioned. Kirke hit his on the green but miles from the hole. I tried a spectacularly unsuccessful flop shot that was just chunked. But I cozied the long putt to about six inches, so we escaped with another par.

I birdied 16 to get us to -6, and then we finished with a couple of scrambling pars on 17 (135 yards) and 18 (120 yards). We had a blast!

Today, I heard from the course manager that our score (with tiebreaks) won the par 3 contest! So that was cool. We entered just because it was going to be fun. Winning the whole thing with my son is icing on the cake.

Second Update: DCP at Medinah

The Regional round of DCP is now just a week and a half away. We'll roll out early next Friday morning. We got an email from DCP that Medinah will be open for practice on Friday night, so we're certainly planning to take advantage of that. Also, the tee times have been posted here: https://www.drivechipandputt.com/2022/regional-qualifier/medinah-country-club

I believe that page updates in pretty close to real time once each player turns in his score. So if you want to follow along, you should be able to see the results there. As I mentioned before, there are 14 boys in Kirke's age division. Only the winner advances to Augusta. At this stage, every one of these boys is skilled and could advance; the winner (as cliché as it is) is just going to be the one who hits the best nine shots that day.

We're definitely going to take in and enjoy the experience as much as possible. Hoping to play 18 on Friday when we arrive in Chicago, then head to Medinah for practice. Kirke's on the tee at 1:00pm Saturday; by 2:00 we'll know the results, and we'll all load back up in the minivan headed north to be back for Sunday services.

That finish! I wish I had that type of balance still! Great way to keep the head on Kirke (and Dad) he took the struggle like a champ and recouped.

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

12 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

That finish! I wish I had that type of balance still!

I'll take his finish, but given what I'm working on in my own swing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0 [CURRENT MGS FORUM TEST]
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll take his finish, but given what I'm working on in my own swing...

If you get it and have extra, send one my way. 

Best of luck at Medinah! I think it'll be a great experience for both you and Kirke and I am looking forward to reading about your experience. Have fun!

• Like 3