GolfSpy MPR

A thread about Kirke

Our Sponsors

12 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This one only took a handful of tries: I tossed a ball to him and he picked it clean out of the air:

This is just flat out awesome.

• Like 1

Filmed Kirke's 2020 WITB Yooper-style!

• Like 3

Had a warm spell these past couple of days (temps getting up into the 40s), making SkyTrak in the garage much less unpleasant. Kirke's been working on finding the middle of the face, optimizing his launch. He's seeing that if he launches it higher, it generally goes further for him. And he's feeling (and hearing) the difference between centered strikes and heel cuts.

Right now, his best drives have hit 80mph of ball speed and carried just over 100 yards.

One of the fun things we do on SkyTrak is have long drive contests. Right now, he's winning most of them: it's his driver against my GW. If I switched to PW, I'd win every time. I expect that in the next few years, we'll keep working up my bag (his driver against my PW, then my 9i, etc.). Eventually, it'll come full circle: it'll be my driver against his FW, then his hybrid, etc. 🙂

• Like 4

A couple more fun videos with Kirke from this weekend. The first is his work perfecting the "No Laying Up" logo for the wayward shot:

I love his attention to detail: he deliberately hit a big pull before signalling left 🙂

The second is that he's still trying to press for consistently increasing distance. Right now, his target is to carry each drive over 100 yards. I'd say he's currently getting to that number somewhere between 1/5 and 1/10 drives, so it's still cause for celebration:

I had a very interesting conversation with Joshua Kinchen of US Kids Golf last week. Someone on Twitter asked why Kirke was using the US Kids UL instead of their higher-end TS line. I shared Kirke's SkyTrak numbers with him, and he suggested that Kirke's driver launch angle (somewhere around 24°) is too high, and that the TS might help bring that down.

What is intriguing about all of this is the the SkyTrak is pretty stingy about rollout distance, and so it pushes Kirke to maximize carry. I think (based on what I've read) that Joshua was saying that a lower launch angle might maximize total distance.

We'll definitely play with both when we get on the course. Around here, because of the enormous snow volumes we get, the course normally takes a couple of months after it opens to finally dry out. Here, then, maximizing carry tends to be the best way to go.

Speaking of snow volumes: here's Kirke in front of the plowed-up snow at our house right now:

CYPPpuPRm6rwXDW4gKPemww6LgvFafn4qCneljYm

• Like 4

Kirke ran through a SkyTrak Skills Assessment this afternoon. He went from 25–115 yards. Struggled a little bit with his fairway wood, but otherwise, these are some solid numbers for him:

20200307 Kirke_Page_1.jpg

His swing continues to be beautiful. This is so clean, and so much better than any swing I've ever had:

• Like 6

Still waiting for the snow to melt here; probably at least a month from playing golf outside. Yesterday, I was home with three of my children, as my wife was going for an ultrasound picture of child #5.  This happened:

I really expected that it would take him at least a little while to make five in a row, so he'd got some practice in. Nope: knocks in the first five in a row, and heads back up to play some more 🙂

If you can't understand him, as he's putting, he's telling me that when he goes back upstairs, he wants to switch to playing Street Fighter 4 instead of 5, because the matches get done quicker. He's talking as he's putting, and he never even looks at the hole (putting on a square green helps there).

Also: he's gotten really good at Street Fighter, even straight up beating me at times. He hates losing there just like he hates losing at anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Still waiting for the snow to melt here; probably at least a month from playing golf outside. Yesterday, I was home with three of my children, as my wife was going for an ultrasound picture of child #5.  This happened:

I really expected that it would take him at least a little while to make five in a row, so he'd got some practice in. Nope: knocks in the first five in a row, and heads back up to play some more 🙂

If you can't understand him, as he's putting, he's telling me that when he goes back upstairs, he wants to switch to playing Street Fighter 4 instead of 5, because the matches get done quicker. He's talking as he's putting, and he never even looks at the hole (putting on a square green helps there).

Also: he's gotten really good at Street Fighter, even straight up beating me at times. He hates losing there just like he hates losing at anything.

We all should be as motivated when we play.

• Like 2

Love seeing the twitter threads and skylark facebooks posts that pop up with Kirke in them. Also love reading everyone's comments and reactions. Wish my girls would get the golf bug!

Random question. What are the measurements for your putting green? Looking at adding one in my basement and yours looks like a good size!

• Like 1

Our green is 6 x 11.

It's been a while since I posted anything here about Kirke. Michigan's courses are all currently closed, which creates some mixed feelings here. It's an obvious bummer, but we're still awaiting the melting of all the snow (with more snow predicted at the end of the week), so our course wouldn't be open anyway.

Kirke's been putting inside, doing a bit of SkyTrak, and (when the weather's decent) chipping balls around the yard. Michelle Holmes (a great junior golf coach worth a follow on Twitter) has been putting up some good indoor putting challenges that I've given to Kirke:

Indoor practice isn't without its hazards. A couple days ago, Kirke was chipping in the basement; we have an old dog bed mounted to the wall, which deadens the impact. Kirke missed the dog bed:

We need to get outside.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's been a while since I posted anything here about Kirke. Michigan's courses are all currently closed, which creates some mixed feelings here. It's an obvious bummer, but we're still awaiting the melting of all the snow (with more snow predicted at the end of the week), so our course wouldn't be open anyway.

Kirke's been putting inside, doing a bit of SkyTrak, and (when the weather's decent) chipping balls around the yard. Michelle Holmes (a great junior golf coach worth a follow on Twitter) has been putting up some good indoor putting challenges that I've given to Kirke:

Indoor practice isn't without its hazards. A couple days ago, Kirke was chipping in the basement; we have an old dog bed mounted to the wall, which deadens the impact. Kirke missed the dog bed:

We need to get outside.

This is great keep it going! My son is always asking to swing. He putts on my mat every....single......night. Not complaining it awesome. 

has he had a chance to do any camps? Not sure age but just signed my son up for the Nike camp that is local this summer for 5 days should be good for him can’t wait to see how he does.

if you have had him in camp what did you think?

• Like 2

So far, we've really not had the opportunity. Kirke's 7 right now, and he's not had a lesson or gone to any camps; just given where we live, there aren't options like that. We're hoping that (depending on how the pandemic and response continue) he'll be able to play his first competitive round this upcoming summer.

• Like 3

Just now, GolfSpy MPR said:

So far, we've really not had the opportunity. Kirke's 7 right now, and he's not had a lesson or gone to any camps; just given where we live, there aren't options like that. We're hoping that (depending on how the pandemic and response continue) he'll be able to play his first competitive round this upcoming summer.

My son is the same age (same started swinging a club as soon as he could stand up lol). I am not the best instructor but he loves the game. We got on a par 3 course last for for the first tome he loved it.

good luck look forward to watching how Kirke’s skills continue to improve!

• Like 3

On 4/6/2020 at 3:57 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

We need to get outside.

Cat like reflexes!

• Like 2