• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Periodically, I post here about my son Kirke. I thought I'd start a thread in which I can bring all those posts together, so that those interested can read them, and those not interested aren't seeing

First Tournament Recap Kirke and I left for the Twin Cities on Sunday afternoon. We were looking at about a 4.5 hour drive. But along the way, I remembered a sign I'd seen for a course along the

Still awaiting the link to the official posts on the DCP website, but I can forward along Kirke's results from today. He was one of about 25+ boys in the 7–9 bracket. He didn't have a strong show

Posted Images

Priceless!

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I know I've already commented elsewhere, but 🤣.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hosel fade!  One of my most effective shots.  BTW, great thread!

• Like 4

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

35 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

O wow impressed you took it so well. Poor guys face says it all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I certainly wasn't thrilled, but he wasn't doing it on purpose, nor was he being extraordinarily reckless. He pitches balls around the yard all the time, and controls his ball really well. Eventually, one was going to get away, but it isn't something I can get mad at him for.

But if he does this much more, I'll start pressing him to turn pro sooner.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

New to this thread and so glad to see father and son sharing a passion and obsession, and there is no doubt in my mind Kirke owns this game.  Watched pages 1 to 4 so far and intending to catch up with what is truly a joy to be able to witness documented so well.  My son Patrick was not keen when he first started which was a function of his eye development issues that have largely been corrected now he is 20 and now he too has a good easy swing and should he decide to take a greater interest in the game should well out play his dad in no time.

What I will say, without any hesitation or reservation what so ever, is when I grow up I want to be able to golf just as well as Kirke does.  Color me as his latest fan and hope he continues to get the positive energy from golf that he obviously does that is very much like what I get from golf, and it will be very interested to see where this odyssey takes him!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 in 2020) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU/Looper   (Testing once again Grint)

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes

Man, does he look guilty!! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I love that you got him to pose for a picture with it. That looks like a senior yearbook picture if ever I saw one!

Not fun now, but you guys will laugh for a lifetime about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

1 hour ago, 00sportsman said:

I love that you got him to pose for a picture with it. That looks like a senior yearbook picture if ever I saw one!

Not fun now, but you guys will laugh for a lifetime about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally, the picture is why he looks so down, not the window. He was in the backyard playing; I really don't think he was bothered about the window in the slightest. But I called him over and said, listen, this is going to be a memory, we need a picture. So that's the look I got.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

it will be very interested to see where this odyssey takes him!

Looks like a Dodge to me 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

4 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Hosel fade!  One of my most effective shots.  BTW, great thread!

Strange... with a name like Hook DeLoft, ida thought you duck hooked them? 😁

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Amazing.  Best one liner I’ve heard in years.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Rimshot.gif.cbf51a9c9d58f6a093afbe540b065de6.gif

Not just any comeback, that's a GREAT one!

14 hours ago, Shankster said:

Amazing.  Best one liner I’ve heard in years.

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 in 2020) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU/Looper   (Testing once again Grint)

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes

Kirke and I got out for our first 9 holes of the year yesterday. We drove about 50 minutes south to a course called Trout Lake in northern Wisconsin. Our home course has announced an opening this Saturday!

Whenever I bring Kirke somewhere new, I have to make sure I know what his course is going to be, because there aren't many courses with tees for his age group (US Kids recommends 1,800 yards for nine holes for 8 year old boys). Typically, I divide Kirke's yardage by the the total yardage to get the percentage the course needs to be reduced, and then do that for each hole. Most times that works just fine; occasionally, it would put Kirke in a water hazard or right in the end of a dogleg, and then I need to make adjustments. Happily, Trout Lake's layout worked perfectly for Kirke:

Hole 1: 190
Hole 2: 230
Hole 3: 95 (par 3)
Hole 4: 315 (par 5)
Hole 5: 100 (par 3)
Hole 6: 240
Hole 7: 270 (par 5)
Hole 8: 85 (par 3)
Hole 9: 300 (par 5)

He and I both got off to solid starts, with FIR/GIR/2 putt pars:

That's the end of my round highlights, but Kirke was just getting started. On the second, his approach just missed the green, ending up in the fringe to the right of the hole. So Kirke chipped in for birdie.

The next hole, the 95 yard par 3, Kirke hit hybrid pin-high then rolled in a smooth 10-12 footer for another birdie:

He concluded his round without further fireworks: par, bogey, par, par, par, par. 13 total putts.

I'm gonna be honest: had I played from his tees, he probably would have beaten me yesterday. The kid's in midseason form—or if he's not, midseason form is going to be crazy good.

I do so much work on my swing, and it will never look this good:

All told, it was a perfect day. Great weather, great walk, and a lot of fun. I'm thrilled that spring came early up here, because it means lots of days like this with my son:

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Full WITB with pictures

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for some ideas, guys.

For each of the past two years, I've put together a video of Kirke's swing for this contest for the best junior golf swing. Kirke's never placed, and that's totally OK. We have fun making the video, and I know that in the future, I'll be glad to have these year-by-year memories of how his swing developed.

The first year we did this (age 6), the deadline was early in the year, which means we still had snow on the ground. So I compiled a video that was mostly his swings in our basement along with some clips:

Last year, we made two versions of his video. Initially, they had the same earlier due date, so I just put together mostly videos of Kirke from the previous summer:

But then the world shut down, and for that reason, they extended the deadline late enough for the snow to melt. This enabled us to go to the course one evening a shoot a bunch of footage especially for the contest. And it was the first time that I did a little more work on the editing side. I'll be honest: I've probably watched this video a hundred times, and I enjoy it every time:

In the next few weeks, we're going to start assembling his video for this year's contest. At this point, it doesn't have much of anything to do with winning the contest. That would be fun, for sure, but I honestly just enjoy putting together a showcase of Kirke's swing, and Kirke also gets a kick out of it.

I've got some ideas for shots I want to capture for this year's video. Two so far:

• The opening shot this year will be a drone shot from directly overhead, with Kirke's name and age on the grass to the side of his swing.
  • I'm planning to bring a couple of tripods, and I want to have at least one swing in which I put the down-the-line and face-on video playing at the same time.

I'll have with me at least three HD cameras (my current phone, an iPhone 6, and a knockoff GoPro) and a 4K drone. I also have a mirrorless Sony with a lens that zooms (though not extreme).

What golf swing video shots have you seen that you thought were pretty cool? I thought I'd tap into the experience of the Forum for different ideas that would be fun.

• Like 5

Full WITB with pictures

Do it for the personal memories.  you will always be able to go back and see your son growing up.  Those are memories that cant be replaced and will cherish forever. 

But from a contest perspective We’re you able to view the winning videos?  How are they judged?  What do you think separates them from yours?  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Do it for the personal memories.  you will always be able to go back and see your son growing up.  Those are memories that cant be replaced and will cherish forever. 

But from a contest perspective We’re you able to view the winning videos?  How are they judged?  What do you think separates them from yours?  

The judging is done based on the swings, not the video per se.

Here were the winners from last year, and I've linked it to where Kirke's age group starts:

All three of those chosen to win have great looking swings, so I don't have any complaints there. Cameron's swing is not only good-looking but incredibly powerful; I've chatted with his dad on Twitter and Cameron is definitely a lot bigger than Kirke is.

So I honestly don't sweat the results. Obviously, I think Kirke has a good-looking swing and I know he can also play really well. Other kids also have good-looking swings, and judging who has the "best" swing is not easy and it's not something that has clear objective criteria.

For instance, if you're on Twitter, you should be following Donnie Solesbee. Just an absolutely awesome story: he's been a golf fitness instructor. He and his wife adopted a young girl named Autumn. They took her to play golf (she'd never swung a club before in her life). Just over a year later, she has one of the prettiest swings you'll ever see and has qualified for the US Kids World Championship at Pinehurst. Look at this swing!

I have no idea if Donnie and Autumn are submitting a swing for this contest, but if they are, Kirke has no chance. I mean, I'd vote for Autumn over Kirke just on swing aesthetics.

So while it would be fun to place or win, this really truly is a chance for us to make memories and to put together a swing video that we can enjoy and that (I think) other people can enjoy as well. I'm obviously biased, but I love watching Kirke's swing and I like sharing it with others.

• Like 5

Full WITB with pictures