TESTERS WANTED! ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Dynacraft Prophet Tour Forged Irons

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Dynacraft Prophet Tour FORGED Irons

You might recall the review we did of the Dynacraft Prophet Tour (CAST) irons last year from Hireko Golf. One of the issues some of the testers and myself had with these irons was the feel of the cast head. And I felt like that iron had the looks of a players iron but the feel of a game improvement head. So when I spoke to Hireko about this last year we chatted for a while about them possibly bringing out a forged model with a similar design. And that is exactly what this new Dynacraft Prophet Tour Forged Iron is all about.

Similar looks but hopefully better feel and performance. I know many of you have sent emails about the hopes of us reviewing this set and before I could put in a call a set showed up at the office. So it looks like we will be reviewing them sometime in early 2011.

Here are some pictures of the new set. Hope you enjoy!

prophet-tour-forged-2.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-3.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-4.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-5.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-6.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-7-1.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-7.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-8.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-9.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-15.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-16.jpg

prophet-tour-forged-17.jpg

#TruthDigest

Good looking head. I don't know if it's the angle of the photo, but it looks like there's a bit more offset than one might expect.

Agreed, beautiful looking club, however, possibly a little offset? Either way, hope that this forged club has better feel than that of last years model!

Good looking head. I don't know if it's the angle of the photo, but it looks like there's a bit more offset than one might expect.

That is correct, and intentional.

Their objective was to create something that would be a "bridge" between a game improvement club to a players club.

That is correct, and intentional.

Their objective was to create something that would be a "bridge" between a game improvement club to a players club.

I definitely appreciate the concept of something between a player's club and a GI club, but, to me, more offset is not the way to go. I don't always hit the middle of the face, but I don't need any help hitting the ball left. I would love to see more clubs like the Bridgestone pocket cavities: more forgiveness without all the offset. JMO, of course.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

These irons are progressive offset:

5) 3.3mm

6) 2.8mm

7) 2.3mm

8) 1.8mm

9) 1.3mm

PW) 0.8mm

SW) 0.3mm

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

These irons are progressive offset:

5) 3.3mm

6) 2.8mm

7) 2.3mm

8) 1.8mm

9) 1.3mm

PW) 0.8mm

SW) 0.3mm

And the long irons:

3- 4.3mm

4- 3.8mm

I'd be hard-pressed if anyone could look at the 8 iron and say "Geez, 1.8mm offset? That thing looks like it's open wider than a barn door!".

Here's the offset for Mizuno MP-52s. Their website gives inches, but I'll convert them into mm (thanks to metric-conversions.org)...

3i- 3.6mm

4i- 3.4

5i- 3.4

6i- 3.3

7i- 3.2

8i- 3.2

91- 2.9

PW- 2.9

So, there's just a hair more offset in the 3 and 4 irons, but less offset from the 5i down in Dynacraft's than the Mizuno's... interesting. I'd like to do more, but since I've laid the ground work, everyone else can do this on their own if they're so inclined. I don't really have the time right now.

I considered the black ones last year. I loved the way they looked, but I never bit the bullet, especially after reading the review here. Wouldnt mind hitting these, but a new set of irons would make SWMBO send me out to sleep on the streets

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

I love these irons, and I really love Jeff's approach to golf club making and marketing. These are irons I would want to buy on principal, but of course, would have to hit them though.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I considered the black ones last year. I loved the way they looked, but I never bit the bullet, especially after reading the review here. Wouldnt mind hitting these, but a new set of irons would make SWMBO send me out to sleep on the streets

The black ones are still really good, regardless of what was said here. I remember they got dinged for the 3 iron's loft being off, but EVERY club manufacturer has tolerances. Like the saying goes, "it is what it is".

The black blades have a longer hosel. The Prophet Tours have a slightly smaller hosel length, and that extra mass is used, in a nutshell, to fill up the stability slot. That means there's a little more "meat" behind the sweet spot.

Dynacraft Prophet Tour FORGED Irons

You might recall the review we did of the Dynacraft Prophet Tour (CAST) irons last year from Hireko Golf. One of the issues some of the testers and myself had with these irons was the feel of the cast head. And I felt like that iron had the looks of a players iron but the feel of a game improvement head. So when I spoke to Hireko about this last year we chatted for a while about them possibly bringing out a forged model with a similar design. And that is exactly what this new Dynacraft Prophet Tour Forged Iron is all about.

Similar looks but hopefully better feel and performance. I know many of you have sent emails about the hopes of us reviewing this set and before I could put in a call a set showed up at the office. So it looks like we will be reviewing them sometime in early 2011.

Here are some pictures of the new set. Hope you enjoy!

Good looking heads. I'll have to take a closer look at them on the webpage.

And the long irons:

3- 4.3mm

4- 3.8mm

I'd be hard-pressed if anyone could look at the 8 iron and say "Geez, 1.8mm offset? That thing looks like it's open wider than a barn door!".

Here's the offset for Mizuno MP-52s. Their website gives inches, but I'll convert them into mm (thanks to metric-conversions.org)...

3i- 3.6mm

4i- 3.4

5i- 3.4

6i- 3.3

7i- 3.2

8i- 3.2

91- 2.9

PW- 2.9

So, there's just a hair more offset in the 3 and 4 irons, but less offset from the 5i down in Dynacraft's than the Mizuno's... interesting. I'd like to do more, but since I've laid the ground work, everyone else can do this on their own if they're so inclined. I don't really have the time right now.

It's funny how Mizuno is always considered on of the more prevalent Players Forged Iron , but they have always led in the Offset department.Mizuno blades such as MP-14's or 29's have some incredible amount of offset but they sure do feel nice if you can get use to the visual. I just love how you always here low handicappers say I can't this or that because it has too much offset but the funny thing is Great ball strikers like Tom Lehman or Darren Clarke like those TM irons that were made with extra offset. So bottom line is whatever makes you play the game better or whatever gives you more confidence don't worry what others say about offset. PS: I'm one of those guilty parties that says i can't play with all that offset but my first blades where MP-29's and they still rank in the Top all time blades in My Personal Opinion. Oh by the way to get back on Topic these Dynacraft Prophet Tour Forged Irons look pretty sweet!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I game the prophets and I like them. They allowed me to improve my game. Only problem is I am always looking for a new set wondering how much better a set of mizunos would be. I am also not a fan of the black head. It was nice at first but quickly got old.

I game the prophets and I like them. They allowed me to improve my game. Only problem is I am always looking for a new set wondering how much better a set of mizunos would be. I am also not a fan of the black head. It was nice at first but quickly got old.

From my personal experience, it doesn't matter. If you wanted to game Mizuno's (or Titleist, TMaG, Adams, or whatever) you won't get a thing over what the companies like Hireko (Acer/Dynacraft), Maltby, Snake Eyes, Alpha, KZG, or whatever component brand. You'll pay more for the "big boys"- gotta make sure the ads and sponsorships get paid!- but that's it. If you don't like the black anymore, get the Prophet Tour Forged's... really, really, nice clubs and nice-'n'-shiny.

Think about it this way: buy these irons, put in whatever shaft you want- doesn't matter if it's KBS, Project X, Apollo, SK FIber... doesn't matter; put on Karma, Golf Pride, Sharpro, Winn, whatever brand of grip you want and a set of these clubs will STILL be paying less than a set from the "big boys", with all the same playability, feel, or whatever other adjectives you want to use.

Here's an example: a 3-PW set with SK Fiber Graphite 100 shafts and GP Multi-Compound grips costs $675.12 from Hireko's website.

Another example: the heads, in component form, cost $29.95 each. In this example you need a 3-PW set, so that's going to run you $239.60. PX shafts, for a set (.370 tips) will set you back $268.99, and Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips will cost $28.72. We're looking at a total cost, before assembly, of $537.31. Assuming you don't get gouged for someone to assemble the irons, you're going to come out ahead of every single OEM forged offering.

That math doesn't stack up in my experience Justin.

$537.31 for the product

$3.00 to install each grip

$10 for install each shaft (and from what I've seen, $10 per shaft install is way below the going rate, espcially out here. My latest vist was $18 per shaft)

That's another $104 for a total of $641.31.

Cobra S3 iron set: $599

JPX 800 iron set: $699

Titleist AP1's: $699

If you go get those at a big box store they'll change the grips for near free. Those irons come with Nippon shafts to start and if those don't do it for you, going to Project X is about $50.

So generally people end up paying maybe $100 more for their set but are backed by a good warranty and have a store to complain to if anything goes wrong. If someone goes component and something goes wrong they're choice is to replace it.

No, I have nothing against components. I really like a lot of the stuff dynacraft and Hireko puts out but I entirely understand why the average customer over looks them. Having someone to go scream at in person who will do whatever you want to get you to be quite and leave the store is a powerful marketing tool.

Maybe I'm channeling too much sour grapes from a friend but he went this route recently. In the end he's not sure why he did as he ended up with a set that feels just like AP1's, plays the same and was pretty much the same cost. The downside? the amount of time he spent on getting this done. Placing the orders, getting the equipment to the club builder, waiting for it to get done ended up being a good 3 to 4 weeks. Even if he special ordered from Titleist it's usually a 2 week wait time and he wouldn't have had to do the running around himself.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

That math doesn't stack up in my experience Justin.

$537.31 for the product

$3.00 to install each grip

$10 for install each shaft (and from what I've seen, $10 per shaft install is way below the going rate, espcially out here. My latest vist was $18 per shaft)

That's another $104 for a total of $641.31.

Cobra S3 iron set: $599

JPX 800 iron set: $699

Titleist AP1's: $699

If you go get those at a big box store they'll change the grips for near free. Those irons come with Nippon shafts to start and if those don't do it for you, going to Project X is about $50.

So generally people end up paying maybe $100 more for their set but are backed by a good warranty and have a store to complain to if anything goes wrong. If someone goes component and something goes wrong they're choice is to replace it.

No, I have nothing against components. I really like a lot of the stuff dynacraft and Hireko puts out but I entirely understand why the average customer over looks them. Having someone to go scream at in person who will do whatever you want to get you to be quite and leave the store is a powerful marketing tool.

Maybe I'm channeling too much sour grapes from a friend but he went this route recently. In the end he's not sure why he did as he ended up with a set that feels just like AP1's, plays the same and was pretty much the same cost. The downside? the amount of time he spent on getting this done. Placing the orders, getting the equipment to the club builder, waiting for it to get done ended up being a good 3 to 4 weeks. Even if he special ordered from Titleist it's usually a 2 week wait time and he wouldn't have had to do the running around himself.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your buddie went to the wrong guy...

If someone buys from us or zillions of other clubfitters...if they pay for the heads, shafts and grips, they NORMALLY would get a discount...and then we'd do a dynamic fitting, adjust lie/loft....spine align/flo shafts at no extra charge.

From my personal experience, it doesn't matter. If you wanted to game Mizuno's (or Titleist, TMaG, Adams, or whatever) you won't get a thing over what the companies like Hireko (Acer/Dynacraft), Maltby, Snake Eyes, Alpha, KZG, or whatever component brand. You'll pay more for the "big boys"- gotta make sure the ads and sponsorships get paid!- but that's it. If you don't like the black anymore, get the Prophet Tour Forged's... really, really, nice clubs and nice-'n'-shiny.

Think about it this way: buy these irons, put in whatever shaft you want- doesn't matter if it's KBS, Project X, Apollo, SK FIber... doesn't matter; put on Karma, Golf Pride, Sharpro, Winn, whatever brand of grip you want and a set of these clubs will STILL be paying less than a set from the "big boys", with all the same playability, feel, or whatever other adjectives you want to use.

Here's an example: a 3-PW set with SK Fiber Graphite 100 shafts and GP Multi-Compound grips costs $675.12 from Hireko's website.

Another example: the heads, in component form, cost $29.95 each. In this example you need a 3-PW set, so that's going to run you $239.60. PX shafts, for a set (.370 tips) will set you back $268.99, and Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips will cost $28.72. We're looking at a total cost, before assembly, of $537.31. Assuming you don't get gouged for someone to assemble the irons, you're going to come out ahead of every single OEM forged offering.

I am fully aware that quality is very similar but like many people I am still curious. I am new to playing golf so often so I haven't tried many sets of irons. No matter how many times I tell myself I am still curious.

I hit mp 68 irons with multiple different shafts and my irons felt better. I think I will be good this season as I have no extra cash for irons anyways.

I will say this, for those looking for great irons, look into the prophet irons. They are great irons.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your buddie went to the wrong guy...

If someone buys from us or zillions of other clubfitters...if they pay for the heads, shafts and grips, they NORMALLY would get a discount...and then we'd do a dynamic fitting, adjust lie/loft....spine align/flo shafts at no extra charge.

I'm +1-ing this... Sounds like your buddy got a bad shake.

Archived