Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Polish the face

Random question here, but I just purchased a used R9 TP off of ebay WITHOUT any pictures, just a description. Received pics after the purchase and there is some scratching on the face, not just brush marks. I don't know, I'm relatively disappointed in my decision after seeing the actual club, but now I'm wondering if there's a way to "buff" those out without affecting the club. Thanks!

You could probably find a fine grinding compound for the job but you should first determine the depth of scratches to see how much metal you will need to remove. You also need to be very aware that a mistake here will cost you the club.

Try it out and see if it plays well for you. Scratches are part and parcel of any well used club.

Shambles

Thanks Shambles. I'm sure with the looks of the pictures that the scratches aren't going to affect playability at all, just the cosmetic look of the club. I'm certainly not going to do anything that would jeopardize my ability to use the club. It's more just buyers remorse than anything ;) There's a good size paint paint chip thats on the toe too, so I was just a bit disappointed that I pulled the trigger on the purchase without seeing the club. Lesson learned!

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same problem from a "sandy ball" I hit with my FW.

I had nothing to lose, so I tried some 400 grit sandpaper, wetted.

Worked great, looked like new.

Not sure how deep your scratches are, but maybe the same approach would work. You could use a 300 or so wet, then work to the 400 wet to finish.

Worked for me a few times since too,

Archived