TESTERS WANTED! ×

JUST ARRIVED! - TigerShark POWERPOD II Driver

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

This just showed up on my door step this morning (one of those surprises from GolfSpy X). To say the design is unusual might be the understatement of the century. There's some industry-proven brainpower behind this one, so who knows. I'm attaching more pictures than usual so that you guys can really get a feel for the numerous curves and cutouts on this driver.

Let us know what you think.

powerpod-1.jpg

powerpod-3.jpg

powerpod-4.jpg

powerpod-5.jpg

powerpod-6.jpg

powerpod-7.jpg

powerpod-8.jpg

powerpod-9.jpg

powerpod-10.jpg

powerpod-11.jpg

powerpod-2.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I have an original powerpod in the garage. Always good for a laugh.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

"Fore left!!!" ;)

That was my first thought too. Is it really that closed or is it just the angle? As for all the cut outs and curves...it's interesting for sure. I'd like to hear the thought behind the design, and then I'd want to know if it works.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I don't have the full specs, but I'm ballparking it at probably a degree closed. It nowhere near as extreme as it looks. There's a bit of an optical illusion at work. Because the angle from the toe to rear of the club is so much sharper than we're accustomed to seeing, it tricks the eye a bit, I think.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Lol it looks like it got smashed by a golf cart of something. definitely wanna know the thinking behind this thing though

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

• SPY VIP

I wish they had labeled the Powerface, Powerhosel, Poweraiminggraphic, Powershaft, Powergrip.

Perhaps just shorten all of that to POW!

Good call on using the red color that everyone loved on the R7 CGB drivers.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I don't think I have ever seen an uglier driver. There are 2 things that astound me. 1) Someone actually designed that 2) Someone approved the design. Really? I am not sure who I would fire if I were TigerShark. My only guess is that the owner or someone REALLY high up came up with that idea. Noone in their right mind would put that thing into production.

I say that we make it the prize for the person that finishes last in the Fantasy Golf League. The ways things are going.... that would be me.

• SPY VIP

We might have one with your name on it Springbok....lol.

This was actually designed by Jim Flood...might not ring a bell to many of you but if you talk to other designers in the industry they all seem to think he is one of the greats. He is responsible for the graphite shaft, Odyssey Golf and there insert quite a string of other accomplishments in the industry.

There is not very many conversations I have with other designers that his name does not come up. So we will definitely give it a shot.

#TruthDigest

Since the Powereod came out in 1987,I am sure half the member of this forumn have never seen one. How about some pics.

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Since the Powereod came out in 1987,I am sure half the members of this forum have never seen one. How about some pics.

(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)

This was actually designed by Jim Flood...might not ring a bell to many of you but if you talk to other designers in the industry they all seem to think he is one of the greats. He is responsible for the graphite shaft, Odyssey Golf and there insert quite a string of other accomplishments in the industry.

There is not very many conversations I have with other designers that his name does not come up. So we will definitely give it a shot.

I rank him right along with Pat Simmons as designer of goofy looking clubs. The PowePodII is tame beside the original PowerPod and the Basakwerd Putter

http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod/cucput3245.txt

(2009 version)

Oh hell no!!! In hell, they play golf with VAS irons, and that driver!

I'm at college but here is an image from the net.

44dollorgolfdriver1.jpg?w=470&h=343

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I have ever seen an uglier driver. There are 2 things that astound me. 1) Someone actually designed that 2) Someone approved the design. Really? I am not sure who I would fire if I were TigerShark. My only guess is that the owner or someone REALLY high up came up with that idea. Noone in their right mind would put that thing into production.

I say that we make it the prize for the person that finishes last in the Fantasy Golf League. The ways things are going.... that would be me.

Springbot,

Jim Flood is the designer. The same guy who invented the graphite shaft as we know it today , founder of Aldila and Oddessey Golf not to mention a long list of other products that all had sucess because they performed . The new Pod is Different by Design and it out performs any driver on the market to date. It has a deep face ,high center of gravity with a 45 degree shaft angle and 99% of the weight behind the face which produces a penatrating ball flight ,exremely low backspin and sidespin. What that equates to is long and straight with alot of roll after carry. What did the skeptics say about the first Ping irons , metal woods, the big drivers and the lound noise they made? They got over all those issues because they performed. Every major Golf Retailer has the Pod on the shelf and in their catologs for 2011 I would suggest you go demo one first before you knock TigerShark or the Pod.

after catching up with Golfspy X and Golfspy T at demo day, the powerpod II was the thing they pointed out as a "better than you would think" item. On their suggestion, i went over and tried one. they didnt have a shaft close to what i needed and it was aside from unwatchable, it was unhittable for me. i gave it a long try and a valid test with a few shafts and walked away embarrassed that i couldnt hit something, regardless of how ugly it may or may not be.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Sorry just can't deal with that look; two piece crown, two color crown, two material crown, and after all of that look at the club at address position. FUNKY to say the least! Maybe if I close my eyes and tell everyone to leave the left side of the course all we be well. :lol:

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I ditto, TWshoot67, the two piece crown is just way over the top for my senses (both physical & mental.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

I told them at the show that their number #1 hurdle no matter how well it performed would be the looks. They said they were not worried about that. I once again said "I would be".

#TruthDigest

after catching up with Golfspy X and Golfspy T at demo day, the powerpod II was the thing they pointed out as a "better than you would think" item. On their suggestion, i went over and tried one. they didnt have a shaft close to what i needed and it was aside from unwatchable, it was unhittable for me. i gave it a long try and a valid test with a few shafts and walked away embarrassed that i couldnt hit something, regardless of how ugly it may or may not be.

Tigershark had 3 or 4 long drive guys hitting it 350+ what shaft did you need? When you say you couldn't hit it what exactly was going wrong?

Tigershark had 3 or 4 long drive guys hitting it 350+ what shaft did you need? When you say you couldn't hit it what exactly was going wrong?

Saying that 2 long drivers hitting it 350+ imo is a pretty rude response. Insinuating that they can hit it and since I couldn't well I must not be :__________ (fill in your own blank).

Regardless of your affiliation with the product I was willing to try it, gave it a fair and thorough test with every option shaft me and the rep tried and there was no match for me. No discernible ball flight pattern

I had no issues testing a variety of heads that day with a myriad of 60 or 70 g X-flex shafts. I was a shape we couldn't figure it out with the pp.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• 2 weeks later...

I already work the ball from right to left, this driver screams LEFT of LEFT! But who knows, maybe a whippy shaft would allow the club to lag behind enough to open the face at impact. I'd try it if I ever see one.

The face kinda reminded me of one of those dreaded "Hammer" drivers. Can anyone say POW or in this case POOF? I would honestly reccomend anyone with small children or grandchildren not to review this thread while the kids are in the room it may do permanant damage to their phsyce.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived