Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra L4V Driver Review

Addicted2Golf

A lot of drivers have come onto the market since Cobra released the L4V in 2007. In fact, Cobra itself has already released the L5V with adjustable face technology and the Zero Limit. However, sometimes the latest isn't always the greatest and the L4V is still VERY popular with Cobra fans. So....

Last year, I started out the season needing a new driver. I had gamed my Ping G2 for years and thought an update in technology would help my game. My search was been well chronicled including some time spent with the Ping G10 and the new Cleveland Launcher. Both are good in their own right, but unfortunately I couldn't find the correct head/loft/shaft combination to suit my game. I went back to the drawing board and did more research. The L4V was receiving rave reviews from what seemed to be a very loyal message board following. I was intrigued and decided to give it a try.

Pros

L4V stands for Limit 4 Variables and Cobra designed this driver to reach the limits on all four of the USGA defined performance variables: Maximum COR (.830), maximum head dimensions (5" by 5"), maximum volume (460cc), and MOI. The most apparent of these is the size of the head - the L4V seems ginormous at address. This inspires a ton of confidence to bomb away but players who prefer a smallish head probably need to look elsewhere. The other technology clearly visible is the carbon composite crown which in my opinion looks wicked cool and futuristic.

Another great thing about the L4V is it includes the best driver head cover I've ever come across. It is made with high quality materials and the magnetic enclosure makes taking the club in and out a quick and painless operation. Sometimes little nuances make a huge difference and Cobra evidently recognizes this.

OK, enough with aesthetics you say! How does the driver perform? I've never been a huge fan of composite drivers, but with the L4V Cobra has found the right mix of face and crown materials to optimize performance and enhance feel. After a dozen rounds logged with the L4V in my bag, I can honestly say it is hands down the longest driver I'd ever hit.

There are three different models (X, F, and M) - each with Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Red Board shafts with distinct flex and kickpoint combos. My mid to high nineties swing speed put me right between the F and M models, but I eventually opted for the M. The determining factor was the 2-degree closed face, which gave me a predictable high draw ball flight that consistently took the right hand side out of play. As a result, I began hitting more fairways.

Cons

The only consistent negative comment I've heard about the L4V is the sound it produces at impact. This driver is LOUD. It sounds like a M-80 going off in a coffee can. More than once, I've had groups in front of me in the fairway or on the green turn and look when I tee off. I get a lot of undue attention on the practice tee. It doesn't bother me now and in fact I've come to like it. But, Cobra should package the L4V with ear plugs (for your playing partners).

Final Word

I'm very particular on drivers. Good drives can set the tone for a round and nothing beats standing in the middle of the fairway while your playing partners poke around for their ball in hazards or in the woods. The Cobra L4V is a terrific driver if you can live with some of its quirky characteristics. I can given how it is benefiting my game and it will likely be a mainstay in my bag for a very long time.

Update

If you notice, the L4V in my bag has been replaced by the Nike Str8-Fit. I finally decided while distance was spectacular with the L4V, my ball flight was too high and here in the windy Midwest that is an issue. I thought about re-shafting, but I ended up going with a 9 degree in the Nike. Once a club ho, always a club ho. :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

While I did not use the L4V.....I did purchase an L5V in January '09. It had a 13.5 degree face with a regular shaft. I bought it used as someone bought it new on a Friday & returned it on Saturday......I bought it used on Sunday....It definitely put me back in the middle of the fairway. I used it for one year, occassionally changing the face from neutral to 1 degree closed then back to neutral. I liked that when my swing changed allbeit subtley, I could open or close the face with a few turns of the tool provided.

I just replaced it with the Powerbilt Air force One Air Foil 10.5 degree, Nitrogen charged.

I'm not ready to give up the L5V, but just wanted to experiment.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My only issues with the L4V and L5V was the wicked high launch angle that they produced. I typically aim for a 13-14.5* LA, and even with the 8.5* L5V, the lowest LA I could achieve repeatably was 16-18*. Too high for this guy. But the ball speeds and dispersion were terrific. If I could only get the flight down.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Does the sound bother you at all, it seems to me as a really loud club.

The sound bothered me at first but after a while I started to like how it annoyed the crap out of others. Range time was especially fun. B)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

My only issues with the L4V and L5V was the wicked high launch angle that they produced. I typically aim for a 13-14.5* LA, and even with the 8.5* L5V, the lowest LA I could achieve repeatably was 16-18*. Too high for this guy. But the ball speeds and dispersion were terrific. If I could only get the flight down.

Out of curiosity, did you play the M-Speed or F-Speed model?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Out of curiosity, did you play the M-Speed or F-Speed model?

F-Speed. Still too high..

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

F-Speed. Still too high..

Well, the F-Speed is still 1.5 degree closed, which increases the effective loft. Sounds like you need the X model.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well, the F-Speed is still 1.5 degree closed, which increases the effective loft. Sounds like you need the X model.

Tried it as well. Better, but still not as good as my gamer. Must have been the shaft.

Tried it as well. Better, but still not as good as my gamer. Must have been the shaft.

Yeah, and that point you might as well look at something else unless you just REALLY like the head. Re-shafting is an expensive proposition unless you have a really good idea of what works for you and the club you're installing it in.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, and that point you might as well look at something else unless you just REALLY like the head. Re-shafting is an expensive proposition unless you have a really good idea of what works for you and the club you're installing it in.

Precisely. I don't want to spend 1K chasing around what COULD be really good, and never come up with it. I would rather go with a proven commodity.

• 3 months later...

While I did not use the L4V.....I did purchase an L5V in January '09. It had a 13.5 degree face with a regular shaft. I bought it used as someone bought it new on a Friday & returned it on Saturday......I bought it used on Sunday....It definitely put me back in the middle of the fairway. I used it for one year, occassionally changing the face from neutral to 1 degree closed then back to neutral. I liked that when my swing changed allbeit subtley, I could open or close the face with a few turns of the tool provided.

I just replaced it with the Powerbilt Air force One Air Foil 10.5 degree, Nitrogen charged.

I'm not ready to give up the L5V, but just wanted to experiment.

After using the Powerbilt Air force One driver for a couple months, i can honestly say that the cobra L5V is staying in the garage.....I have consistently hit the Powerbilt 210 - 250 yards. when i need a fade for a dogleg right fairway, I can do it. If I need a draw for a dogleg left fairway, I can do it.

Very workable, and consistently longer than my previous 3 Cobra Drivers (350Ss, LD M Speed & L5V).

Way to go Powerbilt!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have hit this club used on about 5 different occasions, and every time, it felt very solid. I might even go back, as I have seen a couple used creeping down under 100.00 bucks.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived