jacustomgolf

My 2019 Tournaments Follow Along

38 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

Well we are getting closer to tournament season here in Illinois.  Entries have closed on the CDGA Mid Amateur and there are 58 people at my qualifying site on May 6th.  Tee times should be out next week.  I will update again when those are posted. 

I hadn't noticed your iron comb o before.   The Sub 70 in the long/mid and Srixon 765 and 965.   I won't ask a stupid question and say "how's that working out for you" 🙂    I'll just say tell us what you're liking about it and the results. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I hadn't noticed your iron comb o before.   The Sub 70 in the long/mid and Srixon 765 and 965.   I won't ask a stupid question and say "how's that working out for you" 🙂    I'll just say tell us what you're liking about it and the results. 

I have a different shaft in the Sub70 639 CB's that lets me hit the ball a little higher.  They (639 CB's) are very soft and I do hit them higher than my Srixon irons but still can hit them lower if needed.  I am still waiting on the 639 MB's to fill out the lower irons 7-PW.  There still might be movement back and forth depending on how quickly these get on the conforming list as well.  I expect by mid summer to have the Sub 70 irons in the bag full time.  

• Like 4

Can't wait to follow along and offer any support that we can going forward!!!  We may need to send Jason over to Asia to lay down the law and get the MBs expedited!  I'm sure we'll get those out to you and USGA approved asap.  Let us know if there's ever anything we can do to help.  

• Like 4

Tee times came out today for the CDGA Mid-Amateur qualifier I am playing in on May 6th.  I tee off at 8:30 off the 1st tee.  61 people total.  11 spots and ties will advance.  I am thinking anything 74 and under will get it done.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The season is getting closer!  My US Open qualifying tee times are out.  Event is May 13th.  I go off at 8:32.  89 guys for 5 spots.  Gonna take anywhere from 68-70 to advance.  

Edited by jacustomgolf

Today starts tournament season here in Illinois. I will be trying to qualify for the CDGA Mid Amateur at Kankakee Elks Golf Club. I tee off at 8:30. You can get updates below. Not live scoring but scores will update after the round.

https://www.cdga.org/event.asp?id=125&pid=5

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Well today did not go as I had planned.  Perfect day, not great course conditions and a bad golf swing all make for a sunny but bad round of golf.  I ended up shooting an 81 (+9).  This is my highest round in competition in a very long time (years, do not know how many).  I am not sure what happened but I know what the flaw is and will work it out in the next week. Here are my stats for the day. 

Fairways - 9/14 64%

Greens - 8/18 44%

Putts - 33

IMG_0198.JPG

I missed 7 greens from inside of 140 yards.  This just cannot happen.  Especially in tournament play.  I did not play a practice round and I think that I should have.  The green complexes were very complex and misses in the wrong area were punished. 

IMG_0199.JPG

Golf is a very funny game.  I was playing really well going into this event.  Yesterday at my home course I shot a 66.  Same distance and almost same conditions.  But this is why I play tournament golf.  Its easy to play with your friends and score.  Its another animal in competition.  I hope to rebound for next week as I have my US Open qualifier next Monday.  I like that course and have played it many times.  Didn't get many photos today, but I will next week and I hope to have a better write up. 

IMG_0200.JPG

• Like 3

Yea the CDGA qualifier was rough - weather wise.  shot 83 DNQ! First time trying though.  I've been out of competitive golf since 2011 so I figure its just growing pains.  Hope to see you in the Illinois MId AM!  good luck Josh.  That's an aggressive schedule lol.  I'd hate to have to pay for all those qualifiers ! $$$$

• Like 1

Yea the CDGA qualifier was rough - weather wise.  shot 83 DNQ! First time trying though.  I've been out of competitive golf since 2011 so I figure its just growing pains.  Hope to see you in the Illinois MId AM!  good luck Josh.  That's an aggressive schedule lol.  I'd hate to have to pay for all those qualifiers ! $$$$

Thank you, sorry your qualifier didn’t go well either. Hopefully you still had fun and enjoyed getting back to tournament golf.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is my US Open qualifier. A course I know very well. My M4 cracked Friday and I have an M5 head that tomorrow will be the first round ever for it. I am going to go play one shot at a time and see how it goes. 89 guys for 5 spots. 69 will get you in. Maybe 70.

• Like 1

So this is really hard for me to do right now.  Yesterday was by far my worst competitive round of golf in almost 15 years.  It is really frustrating when you work all winter you make the changes you want and then in competition they just do not stick.  Right now I can stand over the ball and I really have no clue where it is going.   

Yesterday was my US Open qualifier.  A course I know very well.  It is tough but fair.  I made it extremely difficult.  I started out fine. +1 through 4.  Hit some really good shots a few putts just didn't fallen yet.  Hit a good tee ball on 5 and from 161 I shanked yes shanked an 8 iron.   Double bogey.  Now you have to press.  And the round just got worse from there.  I topped a tee shot.  Shanked another shot on a par 3.  Had 2 water balls on holes you shouldn't even think of water on.   And on top of that I had 0 yes 0 one putts.  7 putts did hit the hole so I guess that is a plus.  

Here are my stats.

Score 82

FIR - 5/14

GIR - 10/18

Putts - 36 

My driver did break on Friday (face cracked on my M4).  So I have a DEMO M5 head and I just was not comfortable with it.  I really should have just hit my @GolfSub70 4 wood as I hit the fairway every time I hit it.  

I am struggling with even going to the driving range as I do not know what is wrong.  I have never taken a lesson.  The ball is going anywhere but straight with most of my clubs.  Even my putting is off.  I usually can putt very well.  I am glad I have just about 3 weeks off before my next event.  Hopefully some confidence will come back.  In the mean time my handicap will come back to earth and ill be able to win money on the weekends haha. 

• Sad 2

I am soo sorry Josh, that hurts to read about.. You might be letting 1 thing compound into several things.. the cracked driver makes you nervous, you get frustrated and start forcing the issues, because of that your putting starts to go, and it just keeps on going.. take a day step back and regroup.. You got this, go hit some half wedges to gain confidence, and work yourself back to a full practice.. We are all rooting and following you.. Now go kick some ass.. 

• Like 2

The tournaments keep coming.  My next event is June 5th.  It is a qualifier for the CDGA Amateur (100th year).  42 players for 7 spots and ties.  I tee off at 9:12  I have not touched a club since the US Open qualifier last week.  I will probably start hitting balls again tomorrow.  I have had some time to look at my swing and I think I know what is wrong.  We will see tomorrow.  I want to go hit balls today but its gusting over 40 mph and that will do me no good. 

On a side note I got my replacement M4 head in yesterday so that will be fun to take out and hit as well.  I think things will start to turn around after a rough start to the tournament season.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:37 AM, jacustomgolf said:

So this is really hard for me to do right now.  Yesterday was by far my worst competitive round of golf in almost 15 years.  It is really frustrating when you work all winter you make the changes you want and then in competition they just do not stick.  Right now I can stand over the ball and I really have no clue where it is going.   

Yesterday was my US Open qualifier.  A course I know very well.  It is tough but fair.  I made it extremely difficult.  I started out fine. +1 through 4.  Hit some really good shots a few putts just didn't fallen yet.  Hit a good tee ball on 5 and from 161 I shanked yes shanked an 8 iron.   Double bogey.  Now you have to press.  And the round just got worse from there.  I topped a tee shot.  Shanked another shot on a par 3.  Had 2 water balls on holes you shouldn't even think of water on.   And on top of that I had 0 yes 0 one putts.  7 putts did hit the hole so I guess that is a plus.  

Here are my stats.

Score 82

FIR - 5/14

GIR - 10/18

Putts - 36 

My driver did break on Friday (face cracked on my M4).  So I have a DEMO M5 head and I just was not comfortable with it.  I really should have just hit my @GolfSub70 4 wood as I hit the fairway every time I hit it.  

I am struggling with even going to the driving range as I do not know what is wrong.  I have never taken a lesson.  The ball is going anywhere but straight with most of my clubs.  Even my putting is off.  I usually can putt very well.  I am glad I have just about 3 weeks off before my next event.  Hopefully some confidence will come back.  In the mean time my handicap will come back to earth and ill be able to win money on the weekends haha. 

This took an immense amount courage to write. Thank you for that.

As someone who can only dream of holding a course record, let alone two, it is really fascinating to read your recap. This is a round recap that strips you to the soul. That takes courage to do, and you should be proud of yourself for doing that.

If you would indulge a mere mortal to attempt offering some encouragement:

When looking for confidence, I try to walk like Rory McIlroy. This may sound like the strangest thing, but walking like with a confident stride helps create confident feelings for me. I focus on walking with my head high, shoulders back, and that quick gait of someone who is there to make things happen.

I hope the last week of practice has been kind to you, and you are finding your way back to normal.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, palvord said:

This took an immense amount courage to write. Thank you for that.

As someone who can only dream of holding a course record, let alone two, it is really fascinating to read your recap. This is a round recap that strips you to the soul. That takes courage to do, and you should be proud of yourself for doing that.

If you would indulge a mere mortal to attempt offering some encouragement:

When looking for confidence, I try to walk like Rory McIlroy. This may sound like the strangest thing, but walking like with a confident stride helps create confident feelings for me. I focus on walking with my head high, shoulders back, and that quick gait of someone who is there to make things happen.

I hope the last week of practice has been kind to you, and you are finding your way back to normal.

Its funny you mention walking like Rory.  We all have someone we want to try and be like.  I like how DJ walks around the course.  Now in no way do I swing like him but his attitude is where I try to be.  Golf is hard, and I thank you for the kind words and comments 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jacustomgolf said:

I like how DJ walks around the course.

I would call what he does a "saunter", but I'm with you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I would call what he does a "saunter", but I'm with you.

Good word!

theres definitely a John Wayne saunter in DJ's initial move when he starts walking. I wonder if he got 'fitted' for it😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1