TESTERS WANTED! ×

In search of a Fairway

kingcscott

I am on the search for a new fairway wood. What I want/need for my bag is some distance and some height. I am relatively fine from the tee but want more off the deck. My old Titleist 910f just doesn’t give me either.

I have been reading and watching reviews and have a pretty good idea of shafting. Through Global Golf’s U-Try program I have tried the TS2 4 wood and the Callaway Rogue 5 wood.

I did like the TS2 but I couldn’t get the height I wanted. It was a great club and I may revisit it in the form of a 5 wood. The 4w was long enough and straight but I launch the ball pretty low and did have issues hitting the window I want.

The Rogue hit the window and length, but it was a hook machine for me. It has a great feel in have with nice weight and an okay sound. My problem is that I could straighten it out but had to work hard to do that. I don’t want to work that hard to get a ball straight.

I have now ordered the TEE CBX 5w as they have a 30 day trial program and a veterans discount. Their price direct is about $100 cheaper than the other two I have tried. I have an old XCG6 13 that I used for a season when my driver was WILD. The face was so hot I could get that to roll a mile.

Anyone on the same quest out there? Have any advice?

I know getting fit is optimal but is it more optimal than getting to play these on the course for a couple of weeks at a time?

I've always hated fairway woods....but the one that I absolutely love is the Callaway Heavenwood. I have the Great Big Bertha model, but the thing is stupid easy to hit and goes almost as far as my 3 wood. The head adjusts 19-21 and the shaft is slightly longer than your 5 wood shaft. But for me it's a point and shoot club and gives me the height I want. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Have you looked at the Cobras?

I got the F6 3/4 FW 2years ago and after getting the right shaft on it (regular to stiff) it worked out real nice for me. I should use it more often but lately I have been hooked on my Rogue 4H.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

6 minutes ago, Ronoc said:

Have you looked at the Cobras?

I got the F6 3/4 FW 2years ago and after getting the right shaft on it (regular to stiff) it worked out real nice for me. I should use it more often but lately I have been hooked on my Rogue 4H.

I'm going to second this. I have the f7 and it's been a phenomenal club. Great distance, great feel and sound. Enough adjustability to suit most swings and it's been a beast off the tee and deck. I've had rounds where I simply just use it and put driver away. 

I didn't even bother with newer f8 as I haven't found anything that has out performed it. Maybe the f9 will come close? However I really cannot say enough good things about it. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

31 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

I don’t want to work that hard to get a ball straight.

I could thread jack based on this comment alone but will refrain.

😣

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I ditched my fairway wood this year.  I have had one ever since I took up golf, but the last few years I have struggled with getting the height I wanted.  Last year I got the Wilson Staff D300 and it was quite a bit higher, but a few months ago I picked up the W/S 17º 2H and I hit it just as far and much higher.  I also gained consistency off the deck because the sole is not as wide as the fairway wood.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a 19 Adams hybrid. I am hoping the 5 wood will leave me enough versatility to know it out of the bag. I like it but don’t use it very often. Again my problem is height.

I’ll add Wilson to my list at PGASS if I get that far

I’ve struggled immensely with fairwood woods. I couldn’t never get any height on them. I’ve tried a few different ones and finally found what I wanted in the G400 5 wood. I believe it’s 18.5*. Gets me a great ball flight and loving the distance. Until this club I’ve never been confident standing over a fairway wood.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I picked up a Srixon 7 wood a few months ago after struggling with my hybrids all year. The distance gap may not be that great between my 3 ironwood and the 7, but I get more height with it and I am more consistent with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

If you couldn't get the height you wanted from the TS2 then you were playing the wrong loft or its a swing issue. The TS2 is such a launch monster that many people that are getting fit for it are getting fit into LESS loft

That is why I chose it first. I hit it well and was a bit sad to see it go. The Rogue’s flight was fine just a bit hooky. Bit of an oddball I guess. I though the TS2 would have been perfect and it probably is a flaw. However whatever I go with will have to fit my flight /swing as well. Could have been a shaft issue

I have been EXTREMELY happy with my Exotics EX9. GREAT distance, and it hits the ball through the perfect window for me. I’ve been very happy with it, and even bought the 5 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I am on the search for a new fairway wood. What I want/need for my bag is some distance and some height. I am relatively fine from the tee but want more off the deck. My old Titleist 910f just doesn’t give me either.
I have been reading and watching reviews and have a pretty good idea of shafting. Through Global Golf’s U-Try program I have tried the TS2 4 wood and the Callaway Rogue 5 wood.
I did like the TS2 but I couldn’t get the height I wanted. It was a great club and I may revisit it in the form of a 5 wood. The 4w was long enough and straight but I launch the ball pretty low and did have issues hitting the window I want.
The Rogue hit the window and length, but it was a hook machine for me. It has a great feel in have with nice weight and an okay sound. My problem is that I could straighten it out but had to work hard to do that. I don’t want to work that hard to get a ball straight.
I have now ordered the TEE CBX 5w as they have a 30 day trial program and a veterans discount. Their price direct is about $100 cheaper than the other two I have tried. I have an old XCG6 13 that I used for a season when my driver was WILD. The face was so hot I could get that to roll a mile.
Anyone on the same quest out there? Have any advice?
I know getting fit is optimal but is it more optimal than getting to play these on the course for a couple of weeks at a time?

Have you considered the Cobra F8 3-4 adjustable Fairway Wood?

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Have you considered the Cobra F8 3-4 adjustable Fairway Wood?

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Another fan of the F8 3/4 wood.  It's a missile launcher.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My current 3 wood (Callaway Epic Sub Zero) is an absolute monster off the tee, and easy to hit off the deck. 

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

22 hours ago, kingcscott said:

The Ping is certainly on my list to try as well

As you might expect, I roll with a couple of PING fairway woods (see signature) and love them both...now. I originally had both of them shafted up with the standard Alta shafts in regular-flex and had a love/hate relationship with them until I re-shafted them with these Aldila Tour Blues and man, what a difference. I am not a long hitter at all, but with these I get great flight, mostly straight and can count on the 3 to go 210-220 and the 5 190-200 all day long.

The only lesson here would maybe be to not be afraid to experiment with more shaft options for whatever head you settle on. The right shaft will be key to finding the right balance I'd suggest. Please keep us posted on your further findings, and indeed give the G400's a shot too. Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

answer to your last question,,, YES

second if you struggle with the FW how about trying a hybrid. Say a 17 degree and give it a go. you might just find that is what you are looking for.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

answer to your last question,,, YES
second if you struggle with the FW how about trying a hybrid. Say a 17 degree and give it a go. you might just find that is what you are looking for.

I don’t struggle with it but I want something I am not getting from my current FW. The issue is certainly me. My hybrid flight is also low unless I really work to get the flight up or off a tee.

If you like the cally model I might suggest choking down on the club. Most of the newer models are made pretty long.

and carrying an 8 HCP I would also look towards the SZ model not the regular rogue

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I tried a bunch of fairway woods and could not hit them,  more mind over matter I think as I went in with a negative attitude as I had a strong dislike for them.   I ordered the Callaway XR  5 wood  after researching and seeing some very good reviews,  had it regripped and took it out and from first hits I had a new favorite club,    I average 180 yards with it according to arccos caddie , not great for most but for me that filled a massive hole in my game. 

I have a cobra 3/4 hybrid that I am trying but have not had the same success .  

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I am currently gaming the TEE CBX fairway and really like it. Let’s us know how it works for you. It will work more like a “sub zero” lower spin wood though, from what I’ve experienced. Before the CBX, I used a cobra fairway and it launched plenty high/tons of forgiveness. Cobra has been named numerous times here, so just wanted to add to that list!
If you like the Adams hybrid, have you looked at their fairway woods? My favorite 5 wood of all time was a Tight Lies. Total mindless wonder.

Driver: Searching
Wood: Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood factory stiff shaft
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 3-hybrid factory stiff shaft
Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Wedges: 52,56,60 Mizuno mp t5
Putter: Sentio Red (Medium)
Ball: Bridgestone E6 Speed, and Titleist Pro V1

I am currently gaming the TEE CBX fairway and really like it. Let’s us know how it works for you. It will work more like a “sub zero” lower spin wood though, from what I’ve experienced. Before the CBX, I used a cobra fairway and it launched plenty high/tons of forgiveness. Cobra has been named numerous times here, so just wanted to add to that list!
If you like the Adams hybrid, have you looked at their fairway woods? My favorite 5 wood of all time was a Tight Lies. Total mindless wonder.

I am looking forward to the CBX and / or going for a fitting if it doesn’t work. The CBX is a beautiful club and I know they are hot as hell off the face. I have a 13* 3 wood that is a mini driver. It is great. But doesn’t compare to my Knick ball hitting ST180

I'm just now converting to hybrids from my 4 & 5 irons & decided to try MyGolfSpy's CBX offer. Certainly a very good deal for a very good club.  I hope it does what I'm looking for but since I'm in MI, I won't really know for several months.  See https://shop.touredge.com/products/my-golf-spy-exclusive-offer-cbx-hybrid?dO9JaIGWTCSkc4ykjP0unA

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

I'm just now converting to hybrids from my 4 & 5 irons & decided to try MyGolfSpy's CBX offer. Certainly a very good deal for a very good club.  I hope it does what I'm looking for but since I'm in MI, I won't really know for several months.  See https://shop.touredge.com/products/my-golf-spy-exclusive-offer-cbx-hybrid?dO9JaIGWTCSkc4ykjP0unA

Didn’t know that existed. But I did find out they do a veterans discount and I did use that. It was a great deal cheaper directly from TEE than anywhere else

3 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

Didn’t know that existed. But I did find out they do a veterans discount and I did use that. It was a great deal cheaper directly from TEE than anywhere else

Yep, I got the email announcement on the 26th but didn't order until last Saturday. The offer is only good thru today. I can't take advantage of offers for veterans as was never full-time active (5 years Army National Guard), but I'm glad there are so many out there for vets. You're still short changed in my opinion.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

Archived