Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
kingcscott

In search of a Fairway

I am on the search for a new fairway wood. What I want/need for my bag is some distance and some height. I am relatively fine from the tee but want more off the deck. My old Titleist 910f just doesn’t give me either.

I have been reading and watching reviews and have a pretty good idea of shafting. Through Global Golf’s U-Try program I have tried the TS2 4 wood and the Callaway Rogue 5 wood.

I did like the TS2 but I couldn’t get the height I wanted. It was a great club and I may revisit it in the form of a 5 wood. The 4w was long enough and straight but I launch the ball pretty low and did have issues hitting the window I want.

The Rogue hit the window and length, but it was a hook machine for me. It has a great feel in have with nice weight and an okay sound. My problem is that I could straighten it out but had to work hard to do that. I don’t want to work that hard to get a ball straight.

I have now ordered the TEE CBX 5w as they have a 30 day trial program and a veterans discount. Their price direct is about $100 cheaper than the other two I have tried. I have an old XCG6 13 that I used for a season when my driver was WILD. The face was so hot I could get that to roll a mile.

Anyone on the same quest out there? Have any advice?

I know getting fit is optimal but is it more optimal than getting to play these on the course for a couple of weeks at a time?

I've always hated fairway woods....but the one that I absolutely love is the Callaway Heavenwood. I have the Great Big Bertha model, but the thing is stupid easy to hit and goes almost as far as my 3 wood. The head adjusts 19-21 and the shaft is slightly longer than your 5 wood shaft. But for me it's a point and shoot club and gives me the height I want. 

• Like 1

Have you looked at the Cobras?

I got the F6 3/4 FW 2years ago and after getting the right shaft on it (regular to stiff) it worked out real nice for me. I should use it more often but lately I have been hooked on my Rogue 4H.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ronoc said:

Have you looked at the Cobras?

I got the F6 3/4 FW 2years ago and after getting the right shaft on it (regular to stiff) it worked out real nice for me. I should use it more often but lately I have been hooked on my Rogue 4H.

I'm going to second this. I have the f7 and it's been a phenomenal club. Great distance, great feel and sound. Enough adjustability to suit most swings and it's been a beast off the tee and deck. I've had rounds where I simply just use it and put driver away. 

I didn't even bother with newer f8 as I haven't found anything that has out performed it. Maybe the f9 will come close? However I really cannot say enough good things about it. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

I don’t want to work that hard to get a ball straight.

I could thread jack based on this comment alone but will refrain.

😣

• Like 1

I ditched my fairway wood this year.  I have had one ever since I took up golf, but the last few years I have struggled with getting the height I wanted.  Last year I got the Wilson Staff D300 and it was quite a bit higher, but a few months ago I picked up the W/S 17º 2H and I hit it just as far and much higher.  I also gained consistency off the deck because the sole is not as wide as the fairway wood.

I have a 19 Adams hybrid. I am hoping the 5 wood will leave me enough versatility to know it out of the bag. I like it but don’t use it very often. Again my problem is height.

I’ll add Wilson to my list at PGASS if I get that far

• Like 1

I’ve struggled immensely with fairwood woods. I couldn’t never get any height on them. I’ve tried a few different ones and finally found what I wanted in the G400 5 wood. I believe it’s 18.5*. Gets me a great ball flight and loving the distance. Until this club I’ve never been confident standing over a fairway wood.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I picked up a Srixon 7 wood a few months ago after struggling with my hybrids all year. The distance gap may not be that great between my 3 ironwood and the 7, but I get more height with it and I am more consistent with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you couldn't get the height you wanted from the TS2 then you were playing the wrong loft or its a swing issue. The TS2 is such a launch monster that many people that are getting fit for it are getting fit into LESS loft

• Like 1

If you couldn't get the height you wanted from the TS2 then you were playing the wrong loft or its a swing issue. The TS2 is such a launch monster that many people that are getting fit for it are getting fit into LESS loft

That is why I chose it first. I hit it well and was a bit sad to see it go. The Rogue’s flight was fine just a bit hooky. Bit of an oddball I guess. I though the TS2 would have been perfect and it probably is a flaw. However whatever I go with will have to fit my flight /swing as well. Could have been a shaft issue

I have been EXTREMELY happy with my Exotics EX9. GREAT distance, and it hits the ball through the perfect window for me. I’ve been very happy with it, and even bought the 5 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am on the search for a new fairway wood. What I want/need for my bag is some distance and some height. I am relatively fine from the tee but want more off the deck. My old Titleist 910f just doesn’t give me either.
I have been reading and watching reviews and have a pretty good idea of shafting. Through Global Golf’s U-Try program I have tried the TS2 4 wood and the Callaway Rogue 5 wood.
I did like the TS2 but I couldn’t get the height I wanted. It was a great club and I may revisit it in the form of a 5 wood. The 4w was long enough and straight but I launch the ball pretty low and did have issues hitting the window I want.
The Rogue hit the window and length, but it was a hook machine for me. It has a great feel in have with nice weight and an okay sound. My problem is that I could straighten it out but had to work hard to do that. I don’t want to work that hard to get a ball straight.
I have now ordered the TEE CBX 5w as they have a 30 day trial program and a veterans discount. Their price direct is about $100 cheaper than the other two I have tried. I have an old XCG6 13 that I used for a season when my driver was WILD. The face was so hot I could get that to roll a mile.
Anyone on the same quest out there? Have any advice?
I know getting fit is optimal but is it more optimal than getting to play these on the course for a couple of weeks at a time?

Have you considered the Cobra F8 3-4 adjustable Fairway Wood?

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Have you considered the Cobra F8 3-4 adjustable Fairway Wood?

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Another fan of the F8 3/4 wood.  It's a missile launcher.

22 hours ago, kingcscott said:

The Ping is certainly on my list to try as well

As you might expect, I roll with a couple of PING fairway woods (see signature) and love them both...now. I originally had both of them shafted up with the standard Alta shafts in regular-flex and had a love/hate relationship with them until I re-shafted them with these Aldila Tour Blues and man, what a difference. I am not a long hitter at all, but with these I get great flight, mostly straight and can count on the 3 to go 210-220 and the 5 190-200 all day long.

The only lesson here would maybe be to not be afraid to experiment with more shaft options for whatever head you settle on. The right shaft will be key to finding the right balance I'd suggest. Please keep us posted on your further findings, and indeed give the G400's a shot too. Cheers!