Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Warm jacket for winter suggestions?

Sluggo42

It’s getting really cold in the mornings, 30-40°,so I’m looking for a warm something to wear thru the next month or two. Rain is NOT an issue, I’m just looking for something that’s warm and easy to swing in.

any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Sluggo, I play all winter in Texas where some days are in the 40's to mid-50's. I don't necessarily own or purchase any expensive golf specific "cool" weather jackets. I rely mostly on layers. On the coldest/coolest days I start with a thermal body layer*, then a long sleeve mock turtle, then a pullover fleece type qtr. zip jacket. Somedays if even a little colder I might wear a zip up heavy type sweater jacket thing that also protects my neck. There's a lot of stuff out there that works and doesn't cost much really. Just buy what you like and appears to be warm. Pretty simple really as the idea is to be warm but not bound-up. If wind is an issue look for a wind barrier lining on the inside of your jacket. If I can keep my core warm without much restriction I can play all day.

* I personally don't like wearing these tight fitting thermal layers but they sure work. I bought mine at Academy for not much. Same concept as UA but without the high price tag.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I second the layers. I’ll freeze on the course before wearing a thick warm jacket that does nothing but f up your swing and jack up your score. Tight thin layers are the way I go. Florida can be 40 in the am and 70 by noon. Short sleeve polo under a pullover under a windbreaker is how I usually roll. By the back nine I’ve usually shed everything but the polo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

30° is really cold?

Kidding. Sorta.

I wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt at 30°, but I’m running and I get warm.

I’d recommend some of the light fleece offerings from Columbia if you’re looking to keep it on the cheap side with decent quality. And it could double as the jacket to run to the store in.

I’m sure there are some made specifically for golf. I usually just wear my light fleece jacket.

Light layers is the trick for me with a sleeveless jacket. However, my issue is my fingers - haven't found anything yet that'll keep them warm. My most recent experience was with FJ winter gloves - fingers still got cold and they're too bulky for golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Light layers is the trick for me with a sleeveless jacket. However, my issue is my fingers - haven't found anything yet that'll keep them warm. My most recent experience was with FJ winter gloves - fingers still got cold and they're too bulky for golf.

Can you get mittens, put those little heat packets in them and take them on and off? 

That's what I do on really cold days. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Yea, I’ve heard good cart mittens and take em off just to swing.

ive done the layering and I find that it can be bulky too. I just want that perfect jacket that keeps you warm, but isn’t too bulky or restrictive.

what do the pros wear on cold days? Just sponsor junk?

24 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Yea, I’ve heard good cart mittens and take em off just to swing.

ive done the layering and I find that it can be bulky too. I just want that perfect jacket that keeps you warm, but isn’t too bulky or restrictive.

what do the pros wear on cold days? Just sponsor junk?

I know nothing about your style preferences, but this is what I wear, and it is warm and light. Works for 30° and above. 

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-coldgear-infrared-shield-jacket/pcid1321438-001 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Patagonia R1 zip up jackets. They’re not cheap ($150ish new) but are thin, warm, flexible and come with a lifetime warranty , even if you buy it pre-owned.
I wear 1 layer under it and I’m good to go.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I played 2 weeks ago in the morning (after a frost delay) where the temps started about mid-30s and by the time i finished i was just over 40. Sun was out and zero breeze which made a big difference compared to other days. I layered with a loose fitting cold-weather Adidas shirt. Golf polo over that, and wore a North Face vest. I brought along a wind-blocking North Face jacket but never wore it. In the sun and moving around I was warm enough. Was cool a few times in the shade but nothing unbearable. 

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

The PWRWarm jacket by puma is great.  It's a full zip with a down type body but stretch sleeves that allow plenty of freedom to move.  

https://www.cobragolf.com/pumagolf/pwrwarm-extreme-golf-jacket-aw17?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIttX5oYrK3wIVRFuGCh20pwngEAQYASABEgJKR_D_BwE

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’m with the “layer guys “. When we lived in the Frozen North it was a necessity but in FL some mornings 2 or 3 layers are needed.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

13 hours ago, GB13 said:

Can you get mittens, put those little heat packets in them and take them on and off? 

Great idea - thx. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Yeah, we have different definitions of "really cold" 🙂

I always start with UA Coldgear base layer.  For the outer layer by far the best I've found is Mizuno Windlite sweater.  I think they still make them but it's called a different name now.  Honestly though I'd look on ebay for one.  They are amazingly warm, let you swing, and can be found pretty cheap.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

9 hours ago, McaseyM said:

Patagonia R1 zip up jackets. They’re not cheap ($150ish new) but are thin, warm, flexible and come with a lifetime warranty , even if you buy it pre-owned.
I wear 1 layer under it and I’m good to go.

I’m actually only a few miles from the Patagonia place in a Ventura Ca. I like this concept, and I’ll follow up.

i like the sound of the mizuno wind-sweater too- if it’s warm...

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

I just ordered some footjoy winter gloves- they got really good reviews on Amazon... also bought some ice fishing gloves in case the FJ’s don’t work... haha just kidding, there for the cold mornings on the lake for the next month or two

im thinking that the gloves or mittens might be smart, because cold hands make you cold all over, and warm hands don’t. I’m also thinking a beanie cap too, to keep heat from escaping from my head, it seems gray hair releases more heat...🤔

I just ordered some footjoy winter gloves- they got really good reviews on Amazon... also bought some ice fishing gloves in case the FJ’s don’t work... haha just kidding, there for the cold mornings on the lake for the next month or two
im thinking that the gloves or mittens might be smart, because cold hands make you cold all over, and warm hands don’t. I’m also thinking a beanie cap too, to keep heat from escaping from my head, it seems gray hair releases more heat...

The one thing I really didn't like about my FJ winter gloves is the elastic cuff - it's very tight.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I have to wear layers.  Like today, the course opened up at 11am after a frost delay.  Sunny, slight breeze out of the north, temp 35º; warmed up to 43º.  If I am riding in a cart, it's cold... if I'm walking, I start to shed layers by the 4th hole.  I don't really like coats; too warm and too restrictive.  If I get too hot, I sweat, then I get chilled.  With layers and an outer vest, I can peel as many as I need to stay just right.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah, we have different definitions of "really cold"
I always start with UA Coldgear base layer.  For the outer layer by far the best I've found is Mizuno Windlite sweater.  I think they still make them but it's called a different name now.  Honestly though I'd look on ebay for one.  They are amazingly warm, let you swing, and can be found pretty cheap.

The wind sweaters are awesome. Had 2 of them and gave them to my golf Bud when we moved to FL.
Should have kept one of them for the brutal 45’ FL morning!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Sluggo, I play all winter in Texas where some days are in the 40's to mid-50's. I don't necessarily own or purchase any expensive golf specific "cool" weather jackets. I rely mostly on layers. On the coldest/coolest days I start with a thermal body layer*, then a long sleeve mock turtle, then a pullover fleece type qtr. zip jacket. Somedays if even a little colder I might wear a zip up heavy type sweater jacket thing that also protects my neck. There's a lot of stuff out there that works and doesn't cost much really. Just buy what you like and appears to be warm. Pretty simple really as the idea is to be warm but not bound-up. If wind is an issue look for a wind barrier lining on the inside of your jacket. If I can keep my core warm without much restriction I can play all day.
* I personally don't like wearing these tight fitting thermal layers but they sure work. I bought mine at Academy for not much. Same concept as UA but without the high price tag.

Man I’d invite 40-50 and someone take this dang rain away. My home course is a lake right now. Cold and wet can’t golf well in that.

But back on point, UA has a “storm” line out that I really like especially the Daytona quarter zip pullover, and the down filled jacket. Both plenty warm and loose.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I would recommend Kjus. It's a Swiss company with roots in skiing/Alpine sports, but they put out an impressive line of golf clothing. I now have two pullovers from them (one thinner, one thicker, both bought from pro shops), both of which serve their purpose and keep you warm without impeding your swing. I assume some of their items are warmer than what I have, too. Price tag is a little high, but it has been worth it to me. If between sizes, size up - Euro sizes are a bit slimmer.

https://www.kjus.com/us/en/neutral/golf/?p=1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

The problem with winter golf jackets (clothing) is the concept that is has to breathable.  When it's below 40 degrees the last thing i want is to feel the wind whistling thru material.  I know someone will say "wear a rain jacket".  Why can't I have a lightly insulated jacket that stops the wind as well ???

I'm with everyone else on the layering bandwagon.  For a long time I've used very lightweight silk mock-turtlenecks from www.wintersilks.com as my base layer.  These are extremely light, but add a nice warmth.  I'll generally wear a golf polo, then a wool vest, and on top a windshirt.  That's usually fine to around 40 degrees.  If it gets below that, I'll substitute a gore-tex lines wool sweater to cut the wind while adding.warmth.  Those are pricey, but its a lot better than being cold.  A few of those layers are so thin they' add almost no bulk, especially the silk undershirt, and the gore-tex layer in the sweater.  A vest helps keep the trunk insulated while having a relatively small constriction on arm movement.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a couple of pullovers that are fleece-lined, which is nice (and warmer than a standard pullover). The Adidas Go-To Adapt is warm and has a good fit. Nike also makes a fleece-lined jacket. I usually wear a polo; if it's cold, a base layer; and one of those. If you want something warmer, you could try something with synthetic insulation, like the Nike Aeroloft HyperAdapt, although those can get pretty pricey.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

One of the guys I play with here in Yuma has both a "puffy" jacket and vest; wears the vest most of the time. One is goose down filled and the other a synthetic.  He say's the synthetic is just as warm. I've been wearing golf apparel 1/4 zip, long sleeve pull-overs and put a polar fleece vest over that to start until it warms a bit.  Of course we're talking Yuma cold which, at it's worst with wind chill might be 45F during mid-day play times.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

i like the idea of the puffy jackets.  Some of the golf apparel manufactures are doing that.  Most I seen are in the front only.  I need to keep my back warm.  Most of the reviews I seen also say the wind goes right thru the material.  Designers seem to be going for the look and not function.

I use the layer approach too. Some form of cold gear shirt from ua or fj, Nike or Oakley. A polo on top of that and then either a cold gear jacket from ua or fj.  If it’s windy a 1/4 zip between the polo and jacket.

if not wanting to layer fj, adidas and puma have some good jackets 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 years later...

I'll probably be done for the year in two more weeks.

I'm down for nine this afternoon, though.

Playing in the cold is difficult for achy seniors.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball