Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Warm jacket for winter suggestions?

Sluggo42

I play throughout the winter in Scotland and years of experience have taught me to layer up especially body, leaving the arms relative light. Latest kit.

• Under Armour thin crew neck short sleeve
  • Normal summer tee shirt
  • Armless Glenmuir Charles pullover
  • Quilted mid layer top
  • Snood neck coverage

I carry a light Kjus rain top which is also good at keeping the wind out if required

Other items

• Good hat covering all of your ears
  • Winter mitts, although I use a trolley and have mounted mitts on the trolley
  • Underarmour thermal coldgear  trousers
  • light waterproof trousers
  • thick socks
  • Stubburt winter golf boots
  • Galvin Green waterproofs in bag but if it is too wet then we quit 

As long as it isn't pouring with rain, on winter greens due to excess frost or snow I'm out there on a Saturday. If it gets too bad inland then a trip to links in East Lothian or Fife can be planned.

#WinterWarrior

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I wear layers in PA, I find you need something that breaks the wind or is wind proof for the top layer. I have a micro fiber jacket that works well and I just bought a wind proof fleece from LL bean for this fall/winter golf.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:45 AM, Sluggo42 said:

It’s getting really cold in the mornings, 30-40°,so I’m looking for a warm something to wear thru the next month or two. Rain is NOT an issue, I’m just looking for something that’s warm and easy to swing in.

any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

I use the layer up theory. I wear a sonomo thermal with any short sleeve polo over that. Instead of a jacket, I wear a  vest. There are several types depending on how much you want to spend. I may be different than you but I find if my core is warm, I'm warm. I do carry air activated hand warmers in my pockets ( pants & vest.) I keep a couple of balls warm using the hand warmers. I find a vest allows for more freedom swinging. 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:51 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Yea, I’ve heard good cart mittens and take em off just to swing.

ive done the layering and I find that it can be bulky too. I just want that perfect jacket that keeps you warm, but isn’t too bulky or restrictive.

what do the pros wear on cold days? Just sponsor junk?

If you layer first with a short sleeve thin compression shirt, then a long sleeve mock top and a thin sweater vest and a 3/4 sleeve light windbreaker.

And 2 pair of socks and stretch type of boxers.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, Sluggo42 said:

It’s getting really cold in the mornings, 30-40°,so I’m looking for a warm something to wear thru the next month or two. Rain is NOT an issue, I’m just looking for something that’s warm and easy to swing in.

any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

If you find a warm jacket you will have to take it off every time you hit a golf shot

Layering is the way to go if done correctly 

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.

Merino sheep are a particular breed that grow a fine wool that is smooth.  Those expensive sleeveless vests are Merino or Merino blends.  That is what I would look for.  And try Merino socks.  Sooo comfortable.  A good blend is at least 65% Merino.  If it is only 20%, you are paying but not getting enough to get the feel.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I always wear layers when needed (probably below 60ºF), so you can remove layers later in the round when/if it warms up. I rarely have more than two layers, and the under layer is what I think I'll want at the temps projected for later in the round. My top layer could be a fleece vest, a fleece jacket or pullover, or my rain jacket. My under layer is usually a short or long sleeve polo. If it's really going to cold all day (under 40ºF), I'll wear a third layer under of tight fitting warm weather thermals (not the heavy stuff). The only caveat to me is to make sure you choose fabrics and fits with sleeves that don't constrain your arms - that's a serious mistake IMO. You arms need to move as freely as possible. Loose sleeves on the outer layer are a must to me.

And winter or rain gloves are a must when it's really cold to me - not a bare right hand.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)