Warm jacket for winter suggestions?

Sluggo42

Sluggo, I play all winter in Texas where some days are in the 40's to mid-50's. I don't necessarily own or purchase any expensive golf specific "cool" weather jackets. I rely mostly on layers. On the coldest/coolest days I start with a thermal body layer*, then a long sleeve mock turtle, then a pullover fleece type qtr. zip jacket. Somedays if even a little colder I might wear a zip up heavy type sweater jacket thing that also protects my neck. There's a lot of stuff out there that works and doesn't cost much really. Just buy what you like and appears to be warm. Pretty simple really as the idea is to be warm but not bound-up. If wind is an issue look for a wind barrier lining on the inside of your jacket. If I can keep my core warm without much restriction I can play all day.
* I personally don't like wearing these tight fitting thermal layers but they sure work. I bought mine at Academy for not much. Same concept as UA but without the high price tag.

Man I’d invite 40-50 and someone take this dang rain away. My home course is a lake right now. Cold and wet can’t golf well in that.

But back on point, UA has a “storm” line out that I really like especially the Daytona quarter zip pullover, and the down filled jacket. Both plenty warm and loose.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I would recommend Kjus. It's a Swiss company with roots in skiing/Alpine sports, but they put out an impressive line of golf clothing. I now have two pullovers from them (one thinner, one thicker, both bought from pro shops), both of which serve their purpose and keep you warm without impeding your swing. I assume some of their items are warmer than what I have, too. Price tag is a little high, but it has been worth it to me. If between sizes, size up - Euro sizes are a bit slimmer.

https://www.kjus.com/us/en/neutral/golf/?p=1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9* (adjusted to 10*), Accra TZ6 75 (American Flag), M5 Flex

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM, 15*, Accra FX 2.0 300F, M5 Flex

Driving Iron: :srixon-small: U85 2 iron, Fujikura Pro 2.0 8 HB, S Flex

Irons: :mizuno-small: 4-6:JPX-919 Forged, 7-PW: JPX-919 Tour. All with Nippon Pro Modus 120 S Flex

Wedges: :mizuno-small:T-20 Blue Ion 50.07, 56.10 w/DG Tour Issue S400 (60.06 currently on the bench in favor of :Miura: K-Grind 2.0 60* w/Accra SPI Tour)

Putter: Depends on the day. Bounce between :EVNROLL: ER5B 35" with Gravity Pistol Grip and :mizuno-small: M Craft Type II Blue Ion

The problem with winter golf jackets (clothing) is the concept that is has to breathable.  When it's below 40 degrees the last thing i want is to feel the wind whistling thru material.  I know someone will say "wear a rain jacket".  Why can't I have a lightly insulated jacket that stops the wind as well ???

I'm with everyone else on the layering bandwagon.  For a long time I've used very lightweight silk mock-turtlenecks from www.wintersilks.com as my base layer.  These are extremely light, but add a nice warmth.  I'll generally wear a golf polo, then a wool vest, and on top a windshirt.  That's usually fine to around 40 degrees.  If it gets below that, I'll substitute a gore-tex lines wool sweater to cut the wind while adding.warmth.  Those are pricey, but its a lot better than being cold.  A few of those layers are so thin they' add almost no bulk, especially the silk undershirt, and the gore-tex layer in the sweater.  A vest helps keep the trunk insulated while having a relatively small constriction on arm movement.  

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a couple of pullovers that are fleece-lined, which is nice (and warmer than a standard pullover). The Adidas Go-To Adapt is warm and has a good fit. Nike also makes a fleece-lined jacket. I usually wear a polo; if it's cold, a base layer; and one of those. If you want something warmer, you could try something with synthetic insulation, like the Nike Aeroloft HyperAdapt, although those can get pretty pricey.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

One of the guys I play with here in Yuma has both a "puffy" jacket and vest; wears the vest most of the time. One is goose down filled and the other a synthetic.  He say's the synthetic is just as warm. I've been wearing golf apparel 1/4 zip, long sleeve pull-overs and put a polar fleece vest over that to start until it warms a bit.  Of course we're talking Yuma cold which, at it's worst with wind chill might be 45F during mid-day play times.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

i like the idea of the puffy jackets.  Some of the golf apparel manufactures are doing that.  Most I seen are in the front only.  I need to keep my back warm.  Most of the reviews I seen also say the wind goes right thru the material.  Designers seem to be going for the look and not function.

I use the layer approach too. Some form of cold gear shirt from ua or fj, Nike or Oakley. A polo on top of that and then either a cold gear jacket from ua or fj.  If it’s windy a 1/4 zip between the polo and jacket.

if not wanting to layer fj, adidas and puma have some good jackets 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 years later...

Layering is definitely the way to go. If you can combine it with walking instead of riding, playing in the cold really isn't that bad. If it is below 45 or so, I will not play if I can't walk. When I walk, three layers and I'm good to go as long as the greens aren't frozen. For those of you who can walk but choose not to, you're really making cold weather much worse than it has to be. 

My layers for cold are a lightweight long sleeve shirt, a heavier golf pullover or fleece, and a light windproof Adidas climaproof quarter zip jacket. Keeps the wind out and the body heat generated by walking in. 

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

I play throughout the winter in Scotland and years of experience have taught me to layer up especially body, leaving the arms relative light. Latest kit.

• Under Armour thin crew neck short sleeve
  • Normal summer tee shirt
  • Armless Glenmuir Charles pullover
  • Quilted mid layer top
  • Snood neck coverage

I carry a light Kjus rain top which is also good at keeping the wind out if required

Other items

• Good hat covering all of your ears
  • Winter mitts, although I use a trolley and have mounted mitts on the trolley
  • Underarmour thermal coldgear  trousers
  • light waterproof trousers
  • thick socks
  • Stubburt winter golf boots
  • Galvin Green waterproofs in bag but if it is too wet then we quit 

As long as it isn't pouring with rain, on winter greens due to excess frost or snow I'm out there on a Saturday. If it gets too bad inland then a trip to links in East Lothian or Fife can be planned.

#WinterWarrior

• Like 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I wear layers in PA, I find you need something that breaks the wind or is wind proof for the top layer. I have a micro fiber jacket that works well and I just bought a wind proof fleece from LL bean for this fall/winter golf.

I live in Michigan and found that the new jackets with the quilted down front are the bomb-they keep the front of your upper body warm but do not restrict your swing in any way. Many manufacturers offer them now-they are also pretty cool looking.

• Like 1

Golf Gear Head

On 12/30/2018 at 10:45 AM, Sluggo42 said:

It’s getting really cold in the mornings, 30-40°,so I’m looking for a warm something to wear thru the next month or two. Rain is NOT an issue, I’m just looking for something that’s warm and easy to swing in.

any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

I use the layer up theory. I wear a sonomo thermal with any short sleeve polo over that. Instead of a jacket, I wear a  vest. There are several types depending on how much you want to spend. I may be different than you but I find if my core is warm, I'm warm. I do carry air activated hand warmers in my pockets ( pants & vest.) I keep a couple of balls warm using the hand warmers. I find a vest allows for more freedom swinging. 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 10:51 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Yea, I’ve heard good cart mittens and take em off just to swing.

ive done the layering and I find that it can be bulky too. I just want that perfect jacket that keeps you warm, but isn’t too bulky or restrictive.

what do the pros wear on cold days? Just sponsor junk?

If you layer first with a short sleeve thin compression shirt, then a long sleeve mock top and a thin sweater vest and a 3/4 sleeve light windbreaker.

And 2 pair of socks and stretch type of boxers.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, Sluggo42 said:

It’s getting really cold in the mornings, 30-40°,so I’m looking for a warm something to wear thru the next month or two. Rain is NOT an issue, I’m just looking for something that’s warm and easy to swing in.

any suggestions?  Thanks in advance...

If you find a warm jacket you will have to take it off every time you hit a golf shot

Layering is the way to go if done correctly 

Merino sheep are a particular breed that grow a fine wool that is smooth.  Those expensive sleeveless vests are Merino or Merino blends.  That is what I would look for.  And try Merino socks.  Sooo comfortable.  A good blend is at least 65% Merino.  If it is only 20%, you are paying but not getting enough to get the feel.

Driver  Callaway Epic on Recoil F2 (senior) flex

Three wood is TM Burner Superfast 3.0 on M (mature) flex

3H Old Adams A3OS red boxster on stock Graffaloy Platinum reg shaft

3 MP 18 MMC and 4 GFF hybrid Mizuno irons

5 Mizu hybrid Fli-hi

6 - W Ping I 500 irons on Recoil F3 reg flex shafts

Wedges:  Mizuno blue 52 09, 60 06, and old original Hogan Sure-out 56 14 sand

Chipper (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin Up n In bronze 

Putter Musty wood mallet, sometimes switch with my Scotty Cameron Futura X counter weight face balanced

I always wear layers when needed (probably below 60ºF), so you can remove layers later in the round when/if it warms up. I rarely have more than two layers, and the under layer is what I think I'll want at the temps projected for later in the round. My top layer could be a fleece vest, a fleece jacket or pullover, or my rain jacket. My under layer is usually a short or long sleeve polo. If it's really going to cold all day (under 40ºF), I'll wear a third layer under of tight fitting warm weather thermals (not the heavy stuff). The only caveat to me is to make sure you choose fabrics and fits with sleeves that don't constrain your arms - that's a serious mistake IMO. You arms need to move as freely as possible. Loose sleeves on the outer layer are a must to me.

And winter or rain gloves are a must when it's really cold to me - not a bare right hand.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT