Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Be honest - is MGS dying

jaskanski

Sorry to post this, but the lack of recent feedback, slow response to thread time (like over 6 months), low active user count (like less than 40 per day) all point towards a rather lame forum for anyone who likes to talk anything golf. Unless the trend starts to change, it makes for a rather bland forum (as has been for some time). Thoughts?

It's the offseason in more than half of the country.

Most companies are waiting another month before releasing their new stuff for us to talk about.

MGS isn't all rah rah about certain oems to the point where people simply post about stuff to just try to get into events or get free stuff.

It is a relatively slow golf time in general.  No new equipment,  no pro tour play,  and the northern hemisphere is in the middle of winter.   That said,  I don't see slow response time to threads unless they are very specific and have limited members with the knowledge to answer.  MGS isn't one of the golf mega forums with lots of members that talk everything golf and  lots of non golf related things giving them the appearance of being super busy.  I read other forums and even their post counts are down.  Come the spring when the forum tests start up again,  the posts will increase with "new members" posting their please let me win this related posts. 

MGS as an entity is growing and very strong.   The related forum is small and doesn't seem to be dying, just going through a seasonal downturn. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I’m sure the mods are loving this offseason.

Except for the SPAM bots that have been posting recently and keeping them in game shape.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

Sorry to post this, but the lack of recent feedback, slow response to thread time (like over 6 months), low active user count (like less than 40 per day) all point towards a rather lame forum for anyone who likes to talk anything golf. Unless the trend starts to change, it makes for a rather bland forum (as has been for some time). Thoughts?

I have to disagree especially with slow response times to threads. Most are replied to or have notifications within minutes as far as I can see.

I used to post on AVForums for media stuff and posts would go days without a response, and then it would only be a curt "try google" or something just as flippant.

As others have said it's the slow season (for golf) and combine that with holidays/Christmas/New year and its not unusual to get a slightly slower forum, but in my experience quality counts over quantity! Try Golf Monthly's forum if you want numerous daily posts about what bag, what ball, what club as well as rude aggressive and clique posting!

MGS is simply the best forum for respect for the individual that I've come across, and that stems from the owners as well as the members.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

I've felt it a little slow and at times boring. But I enjoy the forum overall. I don't belong to any others either. I think too it's a seasonal thing somewhat. I happen to be at home mostly through Christmas and New Year working on some personal stuff and chilling out, etc. I keep checking back in to see if anything of interest has been posted. (like this) I don't post on everything just for the sake of making a comment. I'm not a "greeter" either. If new people join and start posting discussions or replying to topics I notice them and they eventually fit right in it seems. But I don't feel obligated to welcome everyone that joins. It'd be like me deciding to take up a position at WalMart and start greeting everyone that walks in the door. Not my job. Not my business.

Jaskanski... you've been a member here for several years now. What exactly would you like to see happening and what would you change to make the forum unbland and more interesting? I have no dog in the hunt. Just interested is all.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have to agree with what has been written. Honestly the threads that I’ve been most interested in have stayed quite active.

New equipment, fitting and player threads aren’t as likely to be active this time of year because so many of our members live in parts of the US that are experiencing winter.

Most of our new members come as the result of testing and that’s not happening right now.

I will say that because I primarily use the mobile app I sometimes miss out on threads in some areas.

Good to hear from you Jaskanski, we are still around for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Winter time is when golf goes stagnant for most especially around the holidays.  Some topics may be of more interest than others to some.  I expect come Jan 3rd when TM releases details next m5/6 and with Callaway and Ping to be releasing info around that time on their releases things will pick up. Then pga show at the end of January with spring and the masters right around the corner after that mgs will be just fine

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A great time to look back at the equipment that was tested over the last year!

All of the tours are in a quiet period now as well so naturally things slow down a bit.

We do see that the user base is growing and things like the recent raffle help to fill the void right now.

Hang in there...things will pick up again real soon!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

It is a relatively slow golf time in general.  No new equipment,  no pro tour play,  and the northern hemisphere is in the middle of winter.   That said,  I don't see slow response time to threads unless they are very specific and have limited members with the knowledge to answer.  MGS isn't one of the golf mega forums with lots of members that talk everything golf and  lots of non golf related things giving them the appearance of being super busy.  I read other forums and even their post counts are down.  Come the spring when the forum tests start up again,  the posts will increase with "new members" posting their please let me win this related posts. 
MGS as an entity is growing and very strong.   The related forum is small and doesn't seem to be dying, just going through a seasonal downturn. 

The forum is just a side thought in the minds of the MGS heads. Adam said he didn’t want a forum but it grew and provides a place to talk and keep eyes and an audience to the greater, more important parts of MGS itself.

Just post something critical of Tiger Woods, and you'll get more responses then you care to read. ;)

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

14 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

The forum is just a side thought in the minds of the MGS heads. Adam said he didn’t want a forum but it grew and provides a place to talk and keep eyes and an audience to the greater, more important parts of MGS itself.

This exactly.  MGS and Adam have no desire to be the biggest forum or one that feels the need to have staff and ownership generate useless topics and filler posts saying how great things are it can show numbers to signature advertisers.   It strives to be a congenial place for golfers who share the same desire to find/test and discuss what equipment is potentially a good fit for them in an unbiased and fair presentation.  

And as all others said.  The off-season for a large part of the country and the lull before several new releases generally lead to less activity than normal.  

Trust us MGS is doing just fine and bigger things are planned for 2019. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Bah, humbug.

Not falling for it. It’s a great place of tight knit folks. I was looking on another website and they had 15 pages of, “Oh, boy! I can’t wait to see the new Epic Flash! Oh, boy! Can’t wait until we can post more info!”

Give me a break. You want to be involved in threads with OEM fanboys that PURPOSELY never post a REAL review? Man, there is PLENTY of fluff out there for folks that just want activity. But, I’ll bet good money that folks who think we’re “dying” will be posting within 10 minutes once testing opportunities hit after the PGA Show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

First off, it's winter for most of us.

The forum has mostly just been 2-3 dozen "active" members for a while. In my time here (7 months), I have seen 2 or 3 people leave and 2 or 3 new "active" posters. We are a close knit group here, and by design we don't post useless fluff. I can count on 1 hand how many posts I thought were pointless. (Chinese spammers not withstanding) This is what makes MGS special and NOT like WRX. If you want WRX, go to WRX.

Also, the online member statistics on the old forum hosting service were over 90 minutes and averaged around 120 "online" but mostly not active members. This new forum hosting service shows online members for 30 minutes. And like you said it averages 40. Math tells us that traffic is similar. 

Yeah, MGS is fine. 

P.S. Just the traffic on this thread, shows that MGS is alive and well. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

13 minutes ago, PMookie said:

But, I’ll bet good money that folks who think we’re “dying” will be posting within 10 minutes once testing opportunities hit after the PGA Show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can take that to the bank! 

One thing that I should have mentioned.... don't be sorry about posting constructive criticism!

Certainly welcome and encouraged by all.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

One thing that I should have mentioned.... don't be sorry about posting constructive criticism!

Certainly welcome and encouraged by all.

Definitely.  Nobody here will tell you to go find another internet home for offering honest and constructive thoughts or disagreeing with our opinons.  

A lot of people are busy this time of the year with holiday parties, travel and family stuff. Not to mention there isn't much meaningful golf being played right now.

It'll pick up. I feel like it does this every year at this time. Just my 2¢

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

A lot of people are busy this time of the year with holiday parties, travel and family stuff. Not to mention there isn't much meaningful golf being played right now.
It'll pick up. I feel like it does this every year at this time. Just my 2¢

There’s a reason they call it the golf “season”, right?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This exactly.  MGS and Adam have no desire to be the biggest forum or one that feels the need to have staff and ownership generate useless topics and filler posts saying how great things are it can show numbers to signature advertisers.   It strives to be a congenial place for golfers who share the same desire to find/test and discuss what equipment is potentially a good fit for them in an unbiased and fair presentation.  

Trust us MGS is doing just fine and bigger things are planned for 2019. 

... The lack of snarky comments here (aside from MBP of course) is just so refreshing and imo what sets MGS apart from many other golf forums. As a young older guy, I have no interest in arguing with a stranger posting anonymously on a golf forum, and think many snarky type comments would never be made in person.  I try to post using the same words I would use talking to someone face to face and I think most all of the members here conduct themselves in the same way. 1,326 threads on which MB's to play and why just isn't something most golfers are interested in discussing. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I certainly share the views of others in that it is just a case of half the country not able to play. Add in to that a slight lull in the tour and the holiday season, I really wouldn't expect anything less. Tis the season to be with loved ones, especially the ones that you may not see all too often.

IMHO, the only thing dying is the interest in a 2018 Odyssey putter!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Like the others are saying, winter is a slow time for golf talk.  To be fair though, forums as a whole are kind of dying thing because most people use social media more than they use things like forums now.  Its been like that for a number of years now.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Quality over quantity works for me. The people I've enjoyed "foruming" with are still pretty regular here.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

24 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Heck I had to read 2 pages for a topic started not long ago. I think this place is fine although if you notice most of us in the north are posting in the what are you drinking thread because it's all we can do to stay warm and busy

Ditto! Nailed it!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

... The lack of snarky comments here (aside from MBP of course) is just so refreshing and imo what sets MGS apart from many other golf forums. As a young older guy, I have no interest in arguing with a stranger posting anonymously on a golf forum, and think many snarky type comments would never be made in person.  I try to post using the same words I would use talking to someone face to face and I think most all of the members here conduct themselves in the same way. 1,326 threads on which MB's to play and why just isn't something most golfers are interested in discussing. 

Well said! The comments on one particular golf site are enough to turn anyone off to forums and golf.

As to the OP's original comment on the level of activity on MGS try one of the boating forums this time of year - . they're virtually dead.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've noticed the activity has slowed as fall weather took hold but, as has been pointed out, that stands to reason given the business of holiday season and lull in tour play.  Once spring weather hits and members are back out playing, forum chatter will no doubt increase.  To help hold you over, there are some awesome threads about Ping Eye 2's - check them out. 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Don't know about the rest of the spies here, but the end of the year gets crazy busy for me at work, as we try to wrap things up for our clients and head into our holiday shutdown.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived