jaskanski

Be honest - is MGS dying

Sorry to post this, but the lack of recent feedback, slow response to thread time (like over 6 months), low active user count (like less than 40 per day) all point towards a rather lame forum for anyone who likes to talk anything golf. Unless the trend starts to change, it makes for a rather bland forum (as has been for some time). Thoughts?

• Like 2

It is a relatively slow golf time in general.  No new equipment,  no pro tour play,  and the northern hemisphere is in the middle of winter.   That said,  I don't see slow response time to threads unless they are very specific and have limited members with the knowledge to answer.  MGS isn't one of the golf mega forums with lots of members that talk everything golf and  lots of non golf related things giving them the appearance of being super busy.  I read other forums and even their post counts are down.  Come the spring when the forum tests start up again,  the posts will increase with "new members" posting their please let me win this related posts. 

MGS as an entity is growing and very strong.   The related forum is small and doesn't seem to be dying, just going through a seasonal downturn. 

• Like 9

Wait till January, then around March. This place will be full up.

I’m sure the mods are loving this offseason.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I’m sure the mods are loving this offseason.

Except for the SPAM bots that have been posting recently and keeping them in game shape.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

Sorry to post this, but the lack of recent feedback, slow response to thread time (like over 6 months), low active user count (like less than 40 per day) all point towards a rather lame forum for anyone who likes to talk anything golf. Unless the trend starts to change, it makes for a rather bland forum (as has been for some time). Thoughts?

I've felt it a little slow and at times boring. But I enjoy the forum overall. I don't belong to any others either. I think too it's a seasonal thing somewhat. I happen to be at home mostly through Christmas and New Year working on some personal stuff and chilling out, etc. I keep checking back in to see if anything of interest has been posted. (like this) I don't post on everything just for the sake of making a comment. I'm not a "greeter" either. If new people join and start posting discussions or replying to topics I notice them and they eventually fit right in it seems. But I don't feel obligated to welcome everyone that joins. It'd be like me deciding to take up a position at WalMart and start greeting everyone that walks in the door. Not my job. Not my business.

Jaskanski... you've been a member here for several years now. What exactly would you like to see happening and what would you change to make the forum unbland and more interesting? I have no dog in the hunt. Just interested is all.

• Like 8

Winter time is when golf goes stagnant for most especially around the holidays.  Some topics may be of more interest than others to some.  I expect come Jan 3rd when TM releases details next m5/6 and with Callaway and Ping to be releasing info around that time on their releases things will pick up. Then pga show at the end of January with spring and the masters right around the corner after that mgs will be just fine

• Like 6

A great time to look back at the equipment that was tested over the last year!

All of the tours are in a quiet period now as well so naturally things slow down a bit.

We do see that the user base is growing and things like the recent raffle help to fill the void right now.

Hang in there...things will pick up again real soon!!

• Like 8

It is a relatively slow golf time in general.  No new equipment,  no pro tour play,  and the northern hemisphere is in the middle of winter.   That said,  I don't see slow response time to threads unless they are very specific and have limited members with the knowledge to answer.  MGS isn't one of the golf mega forums with lots of members that talk everything golf and  lots of non golf related things giving them the appearance of being super busy.  I read other forums and even their post counts are down.  Come the spring when the forum tests start up again,  the posts will increase with "new members" posting their please let me win this related posts. 
MGS as an entity is growing and very strong.   The related forum is small and doesn't seem to be dying, just going through a seasonal downturn. 

The forum is just a side thought in the minds of the MGS heads. Adam said he didn’t want a forum but it grew and provides a place to talk and keep eyes and an audience to the greater, more important parts of MGS itself.
  • Like 4

Man this thread is poppin! I'm guessin some guys can't maintain a +1 cap during the winter so they don't have a lot to talk about. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, PMookie said:

But, I’ll bet good money that folks who think we’re “dying” will be posting within 10 minutes once testing opportunities hit after the PGA Show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can take that to the bank! 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

One thing that I should have mentioned.... don't be sorry about posting constructive criticism!

Certainly welcome and encouraged by all.

Definitely.  Nobody here will tell you to go find another internet home for offering honest and constructive thoughts or disagreeing with our opinons.  

• Like 4

A lot of people are busy this time of the year with holiday parties, travel and family stuff. Not to mention there isn't much meaningful golf being played right now.

It'll pick up. I feel like it does this every year at this time. Just my 2¢

• Like 5