jaskanski

Be honest - is MGS dying

A lot of people are busy this time of the year with holiday parties, travel and family stuff. Not to mention there isn't much meaningful golf being played right now.
It'll pick up. I feel like it does this every year at this time. Just my 2¢

There’s a reason they call it the golf “season”, right?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

I certainly share the views of others in that it is just a case of half the country not able to play. Add in to that a slight lull in the tour and the holiday season, I really wouldn't expect anything less. Tis the season to be with loved ones, especially the ones that you may not see all too often.

IMHO, the only thing dying is the interest in a 2018 Odyssey putter!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

Like the others are saying, winter is a slow time for golf talk.  To be fair though, forums as a whole are kind of dying thing because most people use social media more than they use things like forums now.  Its been like that for a number of years now.

24 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Heck I had to read 2 pages for a topic started not long ago. I think this place is fine although if you notice most of us in the north are posting in the what are you drinking thread because it's all we can do to stay warm and busy

Ditto! Nailed it!

... The lack of snarky comments here (aside from MBP of course) is just so refreshing and imo what sets MGS apart from many other golf forums. As a young older guy, I have no interest in arguing with a stranger posting anonymously on a golf forum, and think many snarky type comments would never be made in person.  I try to post using the same words I would use talking to someone face to face and I think most all of the members here conduct themselves in the same way. 1,326 threads on which MB's to play and why just isn't something most golfers are interested in discussing. 

Well said! The comments on one particular golf site are enough to turn anyone off to forums and golf.

As to the OP's original comment on the level of activity on MGS try one of the boating forums this time of year - . they're virtually dead.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

I've noticed the activity has slowed as fall weather took hold but, as has been pointed out, that stands to reason given the business of holiday season and lull in tour play.  Once spring weather hits and members are back out playing, forum chatter will no doubt increase.  To help hold you over, there are some awesome threads about Ping Eye 2's - check them out. 👍

• Like 1

Don't know about the rest of the spies here, but the end of the year gets crazy busy for me at work, as we try to wrap things up for our clients and head into our holiday shutdown.  

• Like 2

I agree with everything mentioned earlier. 

I see no reason for concern and see activity still happening, just not as much as other times of the year for obvious (and previous stated) reasons. The group here is great; have never really seen any questionable posts or ones to make me annoyed with fellow posters. Everyone is supportive.

I joined earlier this year and have noticed the 'usuals' but also nice to see others chime in here and there. I'm active when I can and feel that my comments are worthwhile. Not here to just flood threads with useless crap. At the same time, I do scope things out and read a lot to see what others are saying quite a bit.

• Like 5

Even during the height of the golf season you tend to see the majority of the comments coming from the same group of guys. I’d love to hear from a wider variety of folks. I read much more than I post because with each offering by others I tend to learn a little bit more. It would be cool to see some more new screen names weighing in more often.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I think MGS is plenty active, even now in the off-season. But I’m reading and posting less, as I much prefer playing golf to talking about it. I love the MGS equipment reviews/buyers guides/most wanted, Nd MGS has influenced my golf purchases (not solely though)  - but mostly only when I’m in the market for something. Where I am the season is May thru Oct with a little play in Apr and Nov.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 3

Man this thread is poppin! I'm guessin some guys can't maintain a +1 cap during the winter so they don't have a lot to talk about. 
I'll have you know I'm a +1.1 simulator golfer in the winter. Would be better but can't take gimmes further than 8 feet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Even during the height of the golf season you tend to see the majority of the comments coming from the same group of guys. I’d love to hear from a wider variety of folks. I read much more than I post because with each offering by others I tend to learn a little bit more. It would be cool to see some more new screen names weighing in more often.

I read other forums and can say that you typically see the same group of people posting on the larger forums as well.   i think people just pick areas they are interested in an post in those topics.  

• Like 3

I'm honestly ok with threads not blowing up every 10 seconds. Life has been busy as of late, so my time I'm able to spend on the forum isn't as much as i'd like it to be...but it's nice not to have to scroll through 20 pages worth of catching up after not being on for a day. 

• Like 3