Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Who never saw swing on video?

We have a local scratch golfer that never saw his swing on video. He fixes his own game by observing ball flight. Can anyone of you on here play golf this way?

seems so simple and a great way.Learning golf by basically playing on the course 

Keep it in the short stuff

I pretty much play this way. I've videoed myself once and it completely messed up my game. I need to play instinctually and fix my swing based on ballflight and results, not based on achieving a proper look on video. If I can hit the ball well, I don't care how it looks. While the modern way of playing golf involves all kinds of technonolgy, I'm more of a traditionalist in all aspects of life which carries over to my golf game. I would drive myself crazy trying to attain a video perfect swing when I can play really well with a natural swing. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Had my swing recorded for the first time this year. Never saw it though, just a freeze frame at impact. Was the first lesson I have ever taken. The pro I took the lesson from has known me for years and said there was nothing for me to see with the one exception. Quite frankly I don’t really think seeing my swing would help unless I was going for a swing look, but I prefer function over form. Good question.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

First saw my swing on video back in 1988 when my mom checked a VHS camera out from the school where she taught.  I brought it to the club where I worked, and we all taped our swings and watched on the pro's VCR.

Been using video ever since.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Never seen my swing and I'm too scared to see what it looks like. 😱

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Had my swing video done once. All I saw was an chubby ole fart
Seriously it was good to do as showed a lot of flaws that I was unaware of. Some of the flaws I cannot do anything about due to age but helpful nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

13 hours ago, Twofer said:

We have a local scratch golfer that never saw his swing on video. He fixes his own game by observing ball flight. Can anyone of you on here play golf this way?

seems so simple and a great way.Learning golf by basically playing on the course 

For the first 300 years or more of golf's existence, nobody ever saw their own swing.  Every player learned by playing and practicing, some with the help of an instructor.  Some of them got pretty dang good that way.

Personally, I first saw my swing on video a cope of years ago, after playing for over 40 years.  I posted it on a different website, and got some pretty detailed instruction.  Since then, video has been a way for me to check on my progress in making a single specific change.  I have never tried to diagnose my own swing issues by watching my own video, I'm simply not competent to do that.

In my opinion, video is a good tool when used by skilled professionals.  Perhaps its similar to MRIs and CAT scans medically, or X-ray examination of welds.  Doctors and welding inspectors and golf instructors all used to do their jobs without more modern techniques, but the new tools can help.  But video isn't really a do-it-yourself tool, you can't learn to evaluate your own video through the internet, any more than you can learn to evaluate your own MRI results by getting internet instruction.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

A friend took video of my swing during a game, unbeknown to me.

After the game he showed me it and all I could think of was "who's that old guy with a slow swing who stands up in the backswing"

I thought I had a decent looking swing and hit it hard, but the camera doesn't lie.........unfortunately🙄

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I videoed my swing off and on several years ago. During that time I'd become sort of obsessed at correcting my game -  playing better. I knew I could get back there if I worked at it. I'd become a wreck. So, I was going to "fix" things myself. I started practicing regularly, using a few training aids, playing more determined, and managing the course. I even bought a new set of custom fit and built irons. Sticking to the topic -  I purchased a CamCaddy phone mount and used it on the patio and the range. Around that time I bought a copy of Michael Breed's book, The Picture Perfect Golf Swing. I found his book to be very helpful for demonstrating how to properly setup a camera to correctly film your swing. The book also has a lot of photos of Breed showing various swing mechanics and positions, etc. It's a good read if you're into video swing analysis. It will also help if your coach or pro wants to video your swing as you'll know the correct camera positions where the Pro might not. Unlike Dave's opinion I think a reasonably skilled player can benefit from some do-it-yourself video analysis. Certainly by recognising a few basic or fundamental flaws. However, a good trained professional instructor will probably see much more than you and I'd recommend seeking this person out. So you might be asking; how did the video workout Plaid? Well, to answer I'd say it was a fun exercise but didn't really factor in to my overall improvement. Around this time I also came to the realization that all my self-help wasn't cutting it. I needed professional help and was lucky enough to have found a Pro/instructor I liked. I worked with him off and on for about 2 years and over time my game improved dramatically*. We never used video. It was all show and tell. I told my instructor the first day we met that I didn't want to rebuild my swing. I only wanted to improve on what I have. At each meeting he'd introduce one or two "things" that we'd work on. Each session built on the previous one. Little by little my game started improving. I never had any setbacks along the way. My game started improving after day one!

Since I've had success working with an instructor; this is the method I recommend. Not all instructors are the same either. It's important to find one that fits with your goals, expectations, personality, and... understands what you want. Not what the instructor wants.  This is very important.  If the instructor wants to incorporate video... fine. If you and the instructor don't "click"; keep looking. Below is a photo of Breed's book for those interested.           

*I was playing to about an 8-10 hcp. My game had slowly risen over the years from about 3 hcp. I'm know playing with a 3-5 hcp at age 64.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

IMG_20181231_083843516.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 hours ago, MattF said:

Never seen my swing and I'm too scared to see what it looks like. 😱

Ha Ha!  I have felt the same.  I have taken some video myself, mostly to check for swaying, etc; things I can fix myself.  Also had a playing partner take a slo-mo vid a couple summers ago, unbeknownst to me.  When I saw it afterwards I wasn't horrified, which was nice.  I knew I had hit a good shot (3W from fairway) so it was nice to see what my swing looked like after a good result.  Positive vibes, man...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Semi- brag here.But on video, I may have the most technically sound swing of any internet online poster._The pro said it is scratch level quality or lower.He just raves about it being mega flaw free.Oddly it doesn’t live up to its expectations on the course when playing.I still have no clue at times where the ball will go 

my numbers on track man are very strong and the video backs it up.But why do I still stink it up so badly on the course?When I miss one it will be 2 counties over 

Keep it in the short stuff

Never had a formal lesson. Never had a formal video. My nephew did video me on his phone. Saw, I was falling back slightly at impact. Never really felt it. Consciously, worked on it on the course and at the range. Definitely added a few yards and felt really comfortable. One of the fellow golfers at my course, told me I look like Hubert Green from a distance, (swing not me). I laughed, Hubert and  Jim Furyk probably have the 2 most unconventional swings. Oh well,  I own it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Archived