Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Recommendation Please: trip to Arizona in March

Pappyvanroyl

My wife and I are expecting our second child in July, so we are taking one last big trip for awhile. We decided on Arizona (flying from NY).

Opening up discussion here to my trusted advisors: I have one full day to myself (she’ll be at a spa) to golf and go to golf related places. What course should I play? Places to go? PXG? Troon North? TPC? I’ll be alone for the whole day, which I don’t mind.

We’ll be splitting time in Sedona and Scottsdale.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Searching
Wood: Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood factory stiff shaft
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 3-hybrid factory stiff shaft
Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Wedges: 52,56,60 Mizuno mp t5
Putter: Sentio Red (Medium)
Ball: Bridgestone E6 Speed, and Titleist Pro V1

My wife and I are expecting our second child in July, so we are taking one last big trip for awhile. We decided on Arizona (flying from NY).
Opening up discussion here to my trusted advisors: I have one full day to myself (she’ll be at a spa) to golf and go to golf related places. What course should I play? Places to go? PXG? Troon North? TPC? I’ll be alone for the whole day, which I don’t mind.
We’ll be splitting time in Sedona and Scottsdale.
Thank you in advance!

Whew that is a tall ask for just one day. If you're determined to play two rounds then Grayhawk is a good option, and she can meet you at Isabella's on site for drinks and dinner at sunset. The Westin Kierland is in the middle of a lot of dining options, and that is a fun and forgiving golf course. Or you could just go to Talking Stick and play blackjack all day instead!
If it's me? I try to go to Ping HQ for a tour and full fitting and maybe play Karsten course after.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Whew that is a tall ask for just one day. If you're determined to play two rounds then Grayhawk is a good option, and she can meet you at Isabella's on site for drinks and dinner at sunset. The Westin Kierland is in the middle of a lot of dining options, and that is a fun and forgiving golf course. Or you could just go to Talking Stick and play blackjack all day instead!
If it's me? I try to go to Ping HQ for a tour and full fitting and maybe play Karsten course after.

Thanks gaussman1! Yeah, we’re there for six days, and most of it is filled already with non-golf activities (unfortunately).
I’ll check out Grayhawk and the others. I did try to find out info on Ping and fittings, tours, etc. I read they have moved fittings offsite to their certified fitter locally. I’m going to take a swing though and email them to see what can be done. Even if it’s just a tour. I did a fitting at Titleist on Manchester Lane, and the tour of their ball research area was great.
I like the idea of golf and then my wife can meet me for a nice dinner and sunset.

Thanks gaussman1! Yeah, we’re there for six days, and most of it is filled already with non-golf activities (unfortunately).
I’ll check out Grayhawk and the others. I did try to find out info on Ping and fittings, tours, etc. I read they have moved fittings offsite to their certified fitter locally. I’m going to take a swing though and email them to see what can be done. Even if it’s just a tour. I did a fitting at Titleist on Manchester Lane, and the tour of their ball research area was great.
I like the idea of golf and then my wife can meet me for a nice dinner and sunset.

Either Isabella's at Grayhawk or the Westin Kierland would be great for that. The Westin used to have a bagpiper at sundown as well that is pretty cool if still there

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I was there in November for two weeks and played 6 courses.  Everyone was coming out of overseed at various stages, so some courses were not an option.  My favorite was Troon North, Pinnacle Course.  The six I played, in order of preference, were:

1. Troon North, Pinnacle

2. Wi Ko Pa, Saguro

3. TPC Champions

4. Legend Trail

5. Marriott, Palmer

6. Eagle Mountain.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

1 hour ago, jaxbeachpackerfan said:

I was there in November for two weeks and played 6 courses.  Everyone was coming out of overseed at various stages, so some courses were not an option.  My favorite was Troon North, Pinnacle Course.  The six I played, in order of preference, were:

1. Troon North, Pinnacle

2. Wi Ko Pa, Saguro

3. TPC Champions

4. Legend Trail

5. Marriott, Palmer

6. Eagle Mountain.

Nice list.  Troon is certainly at the top for me as well.  

I wasn't that fond of Legend Trail but that might have been because I had a bad day.

At the JW Marriott, the Faldo course is more fun than the Palmer course, but I shot my best score ever 69 at the Palmer course.

Having only one day to play is tough; so many nice courses to choose from.  You might want to check out Gold Canyon; two courses Dinosaur and Sidewinder, nice views and they even have a spa.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is all really great info! I really appreciate it folks. I may be able to put together two days for golf, but it’s not the sole purpose. Good excuse to go back!
As of right now, I’m thinking Troon North-Pinnacle, and heading out for dinner together. I may try and do 36 on that day though, so maybe traveling to another course.
I’ve never really travelled out of the Northeast for golf besides one trip to North Carolina. This has ignited a fire to do so, as well as really good conversations with my wife to travel more and include golf in the itinerary. Will have to come after the new baby gets settled of course.

Archived