Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×

Ok so we did this after the first event last year and I wanted to do it again since we've got lots of fresh eyes.

Scoring check. Does the points scoring balance seem appropriate? Is there anything that seems unfair or skewed or is something missing from the stats? Keep in mind, advanced stats like sandies and the like aren't yet available but I could check with Fantrax to see if it can be added. 

Changing the stats could affect outcomes from the first week like it did last year, but that's better than riding out a whole season in unbalance. Let's run this like a typical committee. If someone comes up with a suggestion that gets seconded, I'll put it to a league vote. Majority rules from there. 

• Like 1

At first glance it seems pretty solid. Looks like we’ll have to wait until Monday to see the final stats though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The only gripe I have is the missed cut losing points. We are already not getting points for 2 days.

Do we penalize players that sit a football game in the second half?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

The only gripe I have is the missed cut losing points. We are already not getting points for 2 days.

Do we penalize players that sit a football game in the second half?

Not a bad point. Nullify points for making a cut/missing it. It'll work itself out. Unless the player completes embarrasses himself on the weekend and then it's his own fault anyway. 

• Like 1

Not a bad point. Nullify points for making a cut/missing it. It'll work itself out. Unless the player completes embarrasses himself on the weekend and then it's his own fault anyway. 

Which I definitely had happen last year. Sometimes missing a cut and taking the hit is better than leaving a guy for the weekend. You can take a massive hit if he stinks it up for two (normally) days.

• Like 1

Right especially when the cut is -3 then you lose points for missing the cut. Make the cut at -3 and go +10 on the weekend is unavoidable. But if you have a good two days miss the cut why have points taken? Usually 140ish guys trying to make the weekend, that’s only a 50% chance of making it.

Which I definitely had happen last year. Sometimes missing a cut and taking the hit is better than leaving a guy for the weekend. You can take a massive hit if he stinks it up for two (normally) days.

I see your point here. Happened to me several times, biggest one I remember is the us open.

Like US30 said just nullify both making and missing the cut points and it won’t have any change in overall score.

First time playing this year but I don't understand negative points....seems like the lowest you should go is zero...so many variables in play; injury, sickness, family issues, weather, etc. that punitive points is a bit harsh.

...this is just from the outside looking in.  I probably have little to no chance either way so I'll go with whatever the consensus is.

Options I see

1. Get rid of missed/made cut points.

2. Keep made cut points but don’t take points for missed cut.
I vote for option 2, there should be some reward for picking players that make the cut. I disagree with going negative for missed cuts.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

And one more birdie for Phil to finish off the win! Honestly, wasn't thrilled about grabbing Phil (too much variability for my liking), but I can't complain now 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

And one more birdie for Phil to finish off the win! Honestly, wasn't thrilled about grabbing Phil (too much variability for my liking), but I can't complain now 🙂

Someone had a funny tweet about how the US Open is at Pebble this year and somehow Phil is going to find a way to not win it.

Personally I hope he does so we can all stop talking about it.

• Like 1

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Someone had a funny tweet about how the US Open is at Pebble this year and somehow Phil is going to find a way to not win it.

Personally I hope he does so we can all stop talking about it.

Unless I'm overlooking someone for the fourth, we could almost get a year of career Grand Slams:

• Rory wins the Masters
  • Phil at the US Open
  • Spieth at the PGA

Is anyone a British Open away from the career Slam?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Unless I'm overlooking someone for the fourth, we could almost get a year of career Grand Slams:

• Rory wins the Masters
  • Phil at the US Open
  • Spieth at the PGA

Is anyone a British Open away from the career Slam?

Nobody that's still playing. Floyd and Nelson both never completed the slam because of the Open. 

Spieth, Rory and Phil are the only 3 still playing that are a major short that I can think of. 

Also, I played the top scoring team and 3rd best scoring team in the league this week. Fun 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jbmullin said:

I vote for option 2, there should be some reward for picking players that make the cut. I disagree with going negative for missed cuts.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm in agreement.  You should definitely get credit for players making the cut, and missing out on two days of potential scoring for a missed cut is penalty enough.

• Like 2

To everyone bemoaning the lost points from missing the cut, you realize it's only -1 right? It would have no substantive effect on scores from change it from 0 to -1, so we might, but it seems a bit of an overreaction from my perspective. I mean, I guess it's a three point swing from the start of the week, but no score has been within the margin again for it to be a difference.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

To everyone bemoaning the lost points from missing the cut, you realize it's only -1 right? It would have no substantive effect on scores from change it from 0 to -1, so we might, but it seems a bit of an overreaction from my perspective. I mean, I guess it's a three point swing from the start of the week, but no score has been within the margin again for it to be a difference.

I totally agree! My only suggestion was to take away more points for a MC but based on the previous comments, I'd think that would get outvoted. 

• Like 1