Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Forget it. Leave it as it is. Just wait till 4 of 4 miss cut. You’ll change your minds.

If 4 of 4 miss the cut, I'm gonna lose either way. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Forget it. Leave it as it is. Just wait till 4 of 4 miss cut. You’ll change your minds.

Shanks, you realize you're talking to a dude who scored negative points more often than anyone else last season right? Also, for reference last year the scoring for a made and missed cut was +10 for a make, -5 for a miss, birdies were +10 and bogey were -5. This year, cuts made are +2, missed are -1... ironically enough birdies are +2, bogeys are -1. Hell, this year we're giving you points for pars, a half point, but points none the less.

So, there's no difference from last year to this year, just lowering of the scores so they don't do crazy and are actually less penal. Just trying to be open about it.

• Like 1

If 4 of 4 miss the cut, I'm gonna lose either way. 

Not necessarily. Say you have 4 dudes that miss the cut at -3, they are all at -2. Your opponent has one guy playing that made the cut but goes +12 on the weekend... those 4 points could help more than you’d think.
  • Like 1

I agree with Alan...I think that punishing a guy who played well, just not well enough, to make the cut is unfair.  I realize it is a minor deduction but in my opinion the important thing is the principle involved.  At at the end of the day those minor deductions could make a major difference.

• Like 4

Not necessarily. Say you have 4 dudes that miss the cut at -3, they are all at -2. Your opponent has one guy playing that made the cut but goes +12 on the weekend... those 4 points could help more than you’d think.

Just playing devil's advocate here but wouldn't that mean it is only 1 point since the opponent lost 3 from his guys that didn't make it.

I guess I only see the negative points mattering in a tie breaker situation at the end of the year.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE

Gentlemen,

On the homepage of the league there are currently two live polls for potential scoring changes. They are as follows

1) Missed Cuts, Score them as 0 or score them as -1

2) Pars, Score them as .5 or Score them as .25

POLLS CLOSE AT 5:00 EST, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 13 SO ADJUSTMENTS CAN BE MADE FOR WEEK 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Shanks, you realize you're talking to a dude who scored negative points more often than anyone else last season right? Also, for reference last year the scoring for a made and missed cut was +10 for a make, -5 for a miss, birdies were +10 and bogey were -5. This year, cuts made are +2, missed are -1... ironically enough birdies are +2, bogeys are -1. Hell, this year we're giving you points for pars, a half point, but points none the less.

So, there's no difference from last year to this year, just lowering of the scores so they don't do crazy and are actually less penal. Just trying to be open about it.

I was still under the impression that they were -5. So that's my fault. I do think that no deduction at all is slightly more fair. Just my 2 cents. 

1 minute ago, Undershooter30 said:

I was still under the impression that they were -5. So that's my fault. I do think that no deduction at all is slightly more fair. Just my 2 cents. 

The weighting from last year to this year is the same, I just divided all values by 5 to adjust for inflation. What used to be 5 points is now 1. What used to be 10 is 2. And so on....The only new thing is par. It seems to be a little heavy so that's why Berg and I put that one to a vote. 

I said it once but I'll say it again to be sure, any scoring changes we decide on will retroactively affect week 1 also. That's why we're just taking this one crack at a rebalance now that everyone has seen it in action. . 

• Like 2

Use your votes.

No one is safe from a missed cut. Just ask Tiger, Bubba, Rose, DJ, BK, JS... Sneds, Rickie, JT, Tommy Fleetwood, you know anyone in the top 300 in OWGR.

Just think they could all be -4 and miss the cut.

With the change in weighted points that point is worth a lot.

I'm EXTREMELY surprised at .5 points per par leading. I did not expect that. 

These guys are pros. They are supposed to make pars. haha
I haven't voted yet, but I'm pretty opposed to dropping the par points. Here's the problem with reducing the points for pars: the guy grinding out pars is worth less than the guy alternating birdies and bogies.

If a guy pars two holes, and another guy goes birdie/bogey, under the current system, they both get a point.

If we drop the par value to .25, the par guy ends up with a half point to the inconsistent golfer's full point.

I'm not a fan of that myself.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I haven't voted yet, but I'm pretty opposed to dropping the par points. Here's the problem with reducing the points for pars: the guy grinding out pars is worth less than the guy alternating birdies and bogies.

If a guy pars two holes, and another guy goes birdie/bogey, under the current system, they both get a point.

If we drop the par value to .25, the par guy ends up with a half point to the inconsistent golfer's full point.

I'm not a fan of that myself.

I guess that's one way to look at it too. But the reality is, guys are going to make a ton more pars than they are bogeys/birdies. Leaving it as .5 may make more sense in relation to par, but it will skew the scoring to favor the less explosive player.  

I guess that's one way to look at it too. But the reality is, guys are going to make a ton more pars than they are bogeys/birdies. Leaving it as .5 may make more sense in relation to par, but it will skew the scoring to favor the less explosive player.  

Be real handy come US Open time.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Undershooter30 said:

Not to mention, every tour pro worth having has a scoring avg under par and makes more birdies than bogeys in general.

The avg tour pro makes about 4 birdies, 2.5 bogeys and 11.5 pars per round. Giving pars 50% of the scoring ability of a birdie would overrate it. 35% or .35 points per would be closer to correct. Since that wasn't an option I picked what was closest at .25.

Yes, I am indeed a fantasy sports nerd. Yall may now throw rocks at me lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Undershooter30 said:

Not to mention, every tour pro worth having has a scoring avg under par and makes more birdies than bogeys in general.

The avg tour pro makes about 4 birdies, 2.5 bogeys and 11.5 pars per round. Giving pars 50% of the scoring ability of a birdie would overrate it. 35% or .35 points per would be closer to correct. Since that wasn't an option I picked what was closest at .25.

Yes, I am indeed a fantasy sports nerd. Yall may now throw rocks at me lol

Ha!  You're also a champion.... NERDS RULE.  😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Ha!  You're also a champion.... NERDS RULE.  😃

I won't be this year thanks to my draft snafu haha, but yea last year was fun.

I've been debating making a second, non MGS associated money league for those interested though. It would be similar to the second money league we had for football 2 and 3 years ago. Not particularly expensive and a nice little added skin in the game if your watching golf. 

4704CD35-97A1-4290-8EAF-FC1974753959.jpeg

Polls are closed. Both votes were much closer than I expected. We're going to keep Par value the same and remove the penalty for missing the cut. I'm just going to change the value to 0 so it'll continue to count cuts in players stats for research purposes. 

This change didn't affect the games from last week. Funny how the matches worked out that we've got 13 teams at 2-0, 13 at 0-2 and only 6 at 1-1. Will be interesting to see how this week shakes out. 

Poor @Low Country Golfer takes the slimmest loss of only 1 point (might've been a win if the par reduction passed) and @cnosil drops a 213 bomb for the highest score of the week. 

• Like 4

On 2/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, Undershooter30 said:

I won't be this year thanks to my draft snafu haha, but yea last year was fun.

Quit putting us on. We all know you're still a force to be reckoned with.

Two quick notes for those that may be feeling the same way:

1) It's a long season with lots of opportunity to bring it back. Especially since the studs don't play every week, the waiver game is crucial. 

2) A lot of teams make the playoffs in this format. Top 8 in each division to be exact. 

• Like 2