GolfSpy STUDque

Playoff Bracket: Top 8 in each

C3002A3B-915E-479D-8322-818AD91CF98A.jpeg

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

I obviously haven't been super active on MGS that last two or three months (mostly because of work and school, but partly because the app glitched for a month and I never bothered logging on the main site), but I'm down for it again this season! Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I'm in!

Going to be some interesting looking teams after the auction... 🤨

• Like 1

I'm totally in, if there is room! 

55 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

I'm in!

Going to be some interesting looking teams after the auction... 🤨

Yeah, about that...

Turns out, with a league as big as this, an auction isn't available from Fantrax. Stud and I are weighing options for a snake draft. Apologies for that one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Yeah, about that...

Turns out, with a league as big as this, an auction isn't available from Fantrax. Stud and I are weighing options for a snake draft. Apologies for that one.

A bummer, but an understandable bummer.

It's fun always being the league that breaks things or forces new upgrades 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 10:57 AM, Berg Ryman said:

So, while Stud is running through some settings and getting invites out to TSauer and CNosil, allow me to walk you through the first major change from the 2018 to the 2019 season... The Auction Draft

Now, for those of you who have participated in fantasy sports leagues that have used auctions, you can skip this post. For those who want a refresher or for those wondering what the heck an auction draft is, allow me to be your guide.

The draft, it's the Christmas day for fantasy sports, but some people unwrap great toys, some get coal, all based on draft position. We know how much it hurts to watch a Todd Gurley go #1 and know you had no shot at him drafting from #11. The auction draft gives up that and allows you to budget your roster and get who you want.

So, here's how it works. Every team starts with a budget to fill their rosters. Stud and I are still working this number and roster sizes out, but for sake of this example let's say you have to fill a 10 person roster with $100. At the draft an order is selected in which teams nominate a player to be bid on. That player goes "on the block" with the nominating team placing an opening bid. Once the player hits the block, it's free for you to bid as much of your money as you want to acquire him. After a set amount of time (normally 20 seconds without a bid), the auctioneer drops a 'going once, going twice... sold' and the player is sold for the winning bid, that amount subtracted from the team, and the process starts anew until all the rosters are full.

Now that we've gone over the basics, let's talk basic strategy.

1) Stars and Scrubs: A roster building tactic from Fantasy Baseball, playing for talent while taking cheaper picks to fill out a roster. Pair with superstars and superscrubs, picking a bunch of 1 dollar players to fill a roster while spending all your budget on big names.

2) Consistency: Sometimes, you don't want to own DJ and JT, so maybe you can find a group of guys you really like who may be undervalued, aiming for a team full of guys who may not win, but are super consistent scorers who you can add like 4-6 of for the cost of 2- 3 stars

3) The bid up: Nothing says you have to nominate and bid on players only you want. Some of the fun is driving up the price on a player you may not want and forcing a rival or friend to pay more for a guy they really do want. Buyer beware though, you could get stuck with that dud and tank your team. It's a risk, but so is all of fantasy sports, right?

4) USE YOUR WHOLE BUDGET: The only tip in bold, and for good reason. You never want to be left thinking "What If" with your money still on the table. Use all your money to make sure you get who you want and test your ability to find value where it is.

So, that's all I have for you on the auction front. If you have any questions about it, feel free to leave them here and I'll get to them, if we get a lot, we'll drop a follow-up post. I'll even talk to Stud about maybe running a potential mock for those interested that'll go a couple of picks so we get the feel.

22 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Yeah, about that...

I'm sort of relieved. Not sure how that would've worked for me since I'll 9.9/10 not be able to make the live draft due to time zone. I'm down for a daily fantasy type league though. We transitioned our yearly fantasy football league to this and everyone loves it. Nothing worse than your first round draft getting injured for the year. DFS-style leagues prevent that from happening, and the strategy is very similar to your auction style, except that you don't bid on players -- their price is their price. Technically, two guys could make the exact same roster, but in 3 years of running our football league, this has never happened. Could be different for golf, though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

A bummer, but an understandable bummer.

It's fun always being the league that breaks things or forces new upgrades 🙂

Admittedly, the size of rosters and signups may facilitate split divisions like FF and potential doubling the player pool. We're exploring a lot of options while still being hopeful that Fantrax will break everything for us and let us start a new style from ground up. Seems unlikely, but who knows. 

• Like 1

I’ve never participated in an auction draft, but this is going to be exciting! Our local football league plans on doing the same thing next year.

17 minutes ago, TSauer said:

I’ve never participated in an auction draft, but this is going to be exciting! Our local football league plans on doing the same thing next year.

No auction TSauer... sorry to bum you out.

• Like 1

No auction TSauer... sorry to bum you out.

Just read that. Didn’t finish scrolling through before posting that. Oh well, I’m excited nonetheless.
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

I'm in again this year... Hopefully the results will be a little better this time...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Man what a great turnout so far. This league is gonna be Yuuuge. Due to our size, we're going to have to double the player pool. Auction Drafts are not supported yet for doubled pools so the draft will be the traditional Snake format.

We're not yet full but definitely big enough to take votes. I put up 3 league pools on Fantrax that close next Friday the 11th. I may follow these up with more polls depending on the results. See below for the summaries but only votes cast in Fantrax will count:

Decision 1: League Makeup
Option A: 2 distinct divisions with separate drafts and separate player pools. Playoffs will represent each division separately 8 and 8. 
Option B: One big combined league with a combined draft but 2 of every player in the pool. Rule will be set for no duplicate players on a given team, ie you can't have 2 Tigers. Playoffs will be top 16 total. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Decision 2: Draft Schedule

Option A: Jan 30; 8pm EST

Option B: Jan 30; 8pm PST

Option C: Other (comment in thread with proposal)

Decision 3: Team Makeup (Active/Bench/Total)

Option A: 4/6/10 (last year)

Option B: 4/8/12

Option C 5/5/10

Option D 5/7/12

Option E: 3/7/10

If you're looking for regular season format to help with draft strategy, here's the best I can give now. I'm still waiting to hear back if Fantrax can add my mega awesome idea in time for the season. If not, we'll be going with a plain awesome idea I have that embraces the multi-matchups to the max.

Just know that both formats emphasize Majors and Tier 2 events. Just like the PGA season, you'll need to focus on the biggest events to succeed. 

Lastly (for today), please see the playoff format below. 4 byes will be awarded. The bracket can be combined or broken by division depending on the results of the poll. It'll be a pool play bracket building to a championship with 4 teams in it. This will help alleviate the problem we had last year where the championship only had 4 combined players that qualified for the Tour Championship resulting in zero drama.

76C81E94-867E-4D16-8D61-B8393AF03CB5.png

One more one last thing. Polls are available to all users. If you've got something you want the league to vote on, just start a poll, let us all know the thought behind it, and see how it falls. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Option A: 2 distinct divisions with separate drafts and separate player pools. Playoffs will represent each division separately 8 and 8. 
Option B: One big combined league with a combined draft but 2 of every player in the pool. Rule will be set for no duplicate players on a given team, ie you can't have 2 Tigers. Playoffs will be top 16 total. 

Option A: Jan 30; 8pm EST

Option B: Jan 30; 8pm PST

Option C: Other (comment in thread with proposal)

Option A: 4/6/10 (last year)

Option B: 4/8/12

Option C 5/5/10

Option D 5/7/12

Option E: 3/7/10

Decision 1: Option A. The second option is too chaotic for my mind to process 🙂

Decision 2: Option B.

Decision 3: Option A. Had no complaints with the team setup last year. If anything, I'd suggest 4/4/8, encouraging more free agent dropping and picking up. Might be more necessary in a league our size.

Here are my votes...

Option B

Option A: Jan 30; 8pm EST

Option C 5/5/10

Thanks again... this can't be easy with this many people and it's a lot of work.

Hey guys 👆👆

I know that was a lot of text to read  but I said only votes cast in Fantrax will count for these polls. Head over to the homepage for the league and they should be right in your face. 

Also, for those that lived through the football draft incident, they've extensively tested the feature and feel the draft with double players is much more stable now. No issues in the test environment. Not many leagues are as big as ours though so the live testing isn't as robust. In the unlikely event history repeats itself, we'll just delay the league start an additional week instead of trying to rush the work around draft. 

• Like 2

Ah, nuts. I hate being the guy who didn't read the instructions. As a mod, I can go erase that evidence, right?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My votes are in.   For polls 1 and 3 I really don't care.   For the time,  8 PM PST is way past my bedtime on a workday 😴🛌💤

• Love 1

Like to see the draft maybe on Sunday night prior to the first tournament? Mid week draft tough on those of us who travel for work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy