Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fairway woods - chicken or the egg??

tony@CIC

As background, I had a problem hitting my fairway wood a few years ago. At the time I had a 36 index and so frustrated I ended up selling it. Today I'm shooting at a low 20 index and have broken 90 but find I still need the distance on those long par 5's. So I'm going to take another run at a 3/4 wood. So what would be the preferred approach:

1. Go for a dynamic fitting, buy the club and take a lesson or two.

2. Buy a used 3 wood, take a lesson, then go for a dynamic fitting and buy the 3 wood based on the fitting.

Any other choices? Your thoughts on the preferred approach

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Never hurts to get fit for one. I have found that finding the right fairway for you makes a huge difference. I went through a wide range of fairways before I found "the one" and now it's one of my favorite clubs in my bag. I did not get fit for this, however had a really good feeling it would be more suitable for me. 

What about fairways do you struggle with?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm not really sure you are approaching this from the right angle.  Instead of thinking you need a specific club why not figure out the best way to get your index down with clubs that work for your game, as it is right now.

I'll give you my training approach for any new golfer, which is how my Dad taught me to play golf at 7 years old.  He handed me a 7 iron, and told me to hit it.  Then hit it again, and again, and again, until I got good enough hitting just the 7 iron.  Then he slowly introduced a few other clubs to me until I had about a 10 club set that I played with a for a few years, before getting a full set sometime around the time I entered high school.

I see it over and over again, where these young kids are handed a full set of golf clubs as beginners, and all the kids want to do is pull driver and grip it and rip it.  And then they wonder why they can't hit an iron or wedge, and their golf game consists of random blasts off of the tee with no accuracy, and a collection of chunks, duffs, and bladed iron shots that have no consistency or pattern.

My point to all of this is that I think if you want to get down into an index in the teens you'll start pulling more clubs OUT of your bag, rather than trying to put another one in it.  The more you hit 5 or 6 clubs really good, the more your confidence will grow, and eventually you'll get to the point where it makes sense to start adding more clubs.

And I say all of this to you as a 6 handicap, where I was actually scoring better with 6 clubs in my bag the past few months, versus with my whole 14 club set.  Simplicity with less clubs I think is what I would recommend for you.  That and having a few lessons with a local pro would be my advice to you.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Never hurts to get fit for one. I have found that finding the right fairway for you makes a huge difference. I went through a wide range of fairways before I found "the one" and now it's one of my favorite clubs in my bag. I did not get fit for this, however had a really good feeling it would be more suitable for me. 
What about fairways do you struggle with?

It's purely a distance issue on the long par 5's.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

It's purely a distance issue on the long par 5's.

I'll give you this scenario purely as food for thought.  I bet I could beat any of my buddies on "long par 5's" hitting just a 7 iron on that hole, versus whatever clubs my buddies hit to hole out with.  And that includes chipping and putting.

Three well struck 7 irons into a par 5 are always going to be better than a drive in the trees, a punch out across the fairway into the rough, and then a wedge into the trap or water.

Just something to think about.

I’m also in the 20s handicap range so I will ask why do you think you need a 3w for the par 5s? I know your main objective would be able to put yourself in position to score but have you thought bout a 2i or hybrid?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I say go with fitting first. What good is a club that isn’t the correct loft, or has the shaft that works best for you? Yep. Fitted first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Fitting first. Your swing really won't change enough with the lessons to make a big difference in your fitting. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Tony and I are old.  I'm guessing here, but we probably have similar swing speeds.  I am not hitting a fairway wood into a par 5 in two shots; maybe Tony is, but I need a club that I can hit far enough on my second shot so I can have a short iron rather than a hybrid for my third shot into a par 5.  

I've tried fairways woods for years.  I don't generate enough speed to flight a fairway wood high enough to get the distance I need to advance the ball close enough to the green for a short third shot.  Plus, I find them easy to mishit quite often.  So, I gave up on them.

Tony, if you have good luck with hybrids, I recommend you try out a few 17º 2H clubs.  For me the distance is the same as a good FW shot and the trajectory is much higher. which means more useful.  Check out several brands; they all fly different.  If you were fit for your other clubs, you shouldn't need another fitting.  Get the one that works the best.  JMHO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Tony and I are old.  I'm guessing here, but we probably have similar swing speeds.  I am not hitting a fairway wood into a par 5 in two shots; maybe Tony is, but I need a club that I can hit far enough on my second shot so I can have a short iron rather than a hybrid for my third shot into a par 5.  

I've tried fairways woods for years.  I don't generate enough speed to flight a fairway wood high enough to get the distance I need to advance the ball close enough to the green for a short third shot.  Plus, I find them easy to mishit quite often.  So, I gave up on them.

Tony, if you have good luck with hybrids, I recommend you try out a few 17º 2H clubs.  For me the distance is the same as a good FW shot and the trajectory is much higher. which means more useful.  Check out several brands; they all fly different.  If you were fit for your other clubs, you shouldn't need another fitting.  Get the one that works the best.  JMHO.

Kenny you nailed it as SOP for you-- When we get older we lose swing speed- About 4 years or so ago I had to ditch my beloved Callaway Steelhead 13* 3 wood because basically I could not elevate it anymore. Searched for a suitable replacement for a while. Finally found a Adams Super S 16* that I hit good. I also had carried a V-Steel 18* 5 wood which I hit good too. I also revamped my game as far as Par 5s are concerned. Most of the time now I play position golf with the second and let the wedge and putter do the work for hopefully the birdie. I had to deal with the fact that those days of hitting a Par 5 in 2 from 220 or so were basically over for me.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Say WHAT - "we're old"???  Ok I'll accept that and yes you're correct I need a second shot long enough to set me up with a short iron on a par 5. We also have a couple of Par 5's with bunkers that look like the fairway was carpet bombed.  Invariably my ball is drawn magnetically to those fairway bunkers. So again a club that gets me past those and sets me up with the short iron for the hole. I do have a 19* that I'll use off the fairway but not as consist with it as I'd like. Love my 22* and 26*.  Hmmmmm you have an ideas here, maybe it's getting fit for a 17* would solve the issue? Worth a try! Thanks Kenny. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Say WHAT - "we're old"???  Ok I'll accept that and yes you're correct I need a second shot long enough to set me up with a short iron on a par 5. We also have a couple of Par 5's with bunkers that look like the fairway was carpet bombed.  Invariably my ball is drawn magnetically to those fairway bunkers. So again a club that get me past those and sets me up with the short iron for the hole. I do have a 19* that I'll use off the fairway but not as consist with it as I'd like. Love my 22* and 26*.  Hmmmmm you have an ideas here, maybe it's getting fit for a 17* would solve the issue? Worth a try! Thanks Kenny. 
+1 for Kenny's answer. My dad is still a decent player at age 78 (15 handicap or so) and fought this issue for several seasons before finally just getting a 5 wood he liked and forgetting about the lower lofted 3 or 4 wood. He couldn't generate enough speed to keep it in the air with that little loft. The 5 wood flies higher and goes a little further for him. It's not as far as he would like but that's golf

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I liked well-lofted fairway woods when even I was a young player.  Sometimes I'd hit a horrific hook, but for the most part, the fairway wood shot is hard to screw up unless you have a downhill lie.  Miss a fairway long iron even a little bit and it goes nowhere.

12 hours ago, GSwag said:

I bet I could beat any of my buddies on "long par 5's" hitting just a 7 iron on that hole, versus whatever clubs my buddies hit to hole out with.  And that includes chipping and putting.

I'll take that bet! ⛳

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'll take that bet! ⛳

Well, considering we're about 2,000 miles apart, we may never know.

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Say WHAT - "we're old"???  Ok I'll accept that and yes you're correct I need a second shot long enough to set me up with a short iron on a par 5. We also have a couple of Par 5's with bunkers that look like the fairway was carpet bombed.  Invariably my ball is drawn magnetically to those fairway bunkers. So again a club that gets me past those and sets me up with the short iron for the hole. I do have a 19* that I'll use off the fairway but not as consist with it as I'd like. Love my 22* and 26*.  Hmmmmm you have an ideas here, maybe it's getting fit for a 17* would solve the issue? Worth a try! Thanks Kenny. 

What kind of distances are you looking for and what distance do you want to have hitting into the greens?   There are different approaches to playing golf and based on strokes gained approach you should try to hit the ball as far as possible every time.  Others play holes more "safely" as Gswag described.   Based on the hole you describe,  what happens if you lay up short of those bunkers and then rely on the short game to score;   not a lot of birdies,  but if you are avoiding bogey or worse it may be the smart play.  

I would suggest fitting to see if fairway wood or low lofted hybrid would work best for you. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As background, I had a problem hitting my fairway wood a few years ago. At the time I had a 36 index and so frustrated I ended up selling it. Today I'm shooting at a low 20 index and have broken 90 but find I still need the distance on those long par 5's. So I'm going to take another run at a 3/4 wood. So what would be the preferred approach:

1. Go for a dynamic fitting, buy the club and take a lesson or two.

2. Buy a used 3 wood, take a lesson, then go for a dynamic fitting and buy the 3 wood based on the fitting.

Any other choices? Your thoughts on the preferred approach

Option 3: find a 3wood (don’t buy) to use for lessons after which you get fit and then you’ll have a 3-wood you know how to hit and was fitted to your swing.

Fitting will be based on how you hit at that time so it isn’t in your best interest to buy then have a pro steer you off what that club was made for. I promise you’ll get so much more out of this if you get even the minimum amount of pro help on how to swing it before you do the fitting.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 9:09 PM, GSwag said:

I'll give you this scenario purely as food for thought.  I bet I could beat any of my buddies on "long par 5's" hitting just a 7 iron on that hole, versus whatever clubs my buddies hit to hole out with.  And that includes chipping and putting.

Three well struck 7 irons into a par 5 are always going to be better than a drive in the trees, a punch out across the fairway into the rough, and then a wedge into the trap or water.

Just something to think about.

I'll take that bet...  14th hole at Stone Creek or 4th at Kinderlou...  Your choice.  LOL  🙂 

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

• 1 month later...

Is there another option?

Go for a 5-wood instead. I had purchased a g30 driver and 3 wood and went to a fitting about a year later.

My fitter worked with those clubs I had and recommended I upgrade to the Ping tour shaft as a cost effective, but needed upgrade for my swing. He also gave me some great advice. I rarely hit the 3 wood and as a result I wasn’t consistent with it. He advised I sell that one and buy a g30 5 wood also with the tour shaft, but the heavier one (tour 80). He said you might loose a few yards but you’ll gain height and consistency with the shorter shaft and little extra loft.

Almost 4 years later he was right about one thing, I gained a lot of consistency with that club, but I didn’t lose any yards. I use the 5 wood off the tee if I can’t swing the driver to safety. That spot in my bag has become much more of a weapon than a liability. It’s the one club I feel like I can work left or right on a tight fairway more than any other.

TLDR; swing a few 5-woods too and see if you gain anything by hitting them, I certainly did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I would 2nd a 5 wood.  Much easier to hit off the deck and you don't lose that much yardage over a 3 wood.  If, after you get some lessons and you're striking your 5 wood well, then you can consider if you need a 3 wood.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Fix your swing first, ignore that results of the ball flight. Once your swing is fixed, get fitted! If you get fitted first, it will be fit to your improper swing and any changes to swing negate the fitting

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

12 minutes ago, Apes44 said:

Fix your swing first, ignore that results of the ball flight. Once your swing is fixed, get fitted! If you get fitted first, it will be fit to your improper swing and any changes to swing negate the fitting

That's the way I felt, so I bought a really cheap fairway wood on ebay (since I sold my previous one) and have signed up for lessons. I'm going to a complete bag fitting in May so this fairway wood is intended as a "throwaway" club. And who knows maybe during the fitting it could be the right wood for me - but I doubt it. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

That's the way I felt, so I bought a really cheap fairway wood on ebay (since I sold my previous one) and have signed up for lessons. I'm going to a complete bag fitting in May so this fairway wood is intended as a "throwaway" club. And who knows maybe during the fitting it could be the right wood for me - but I doubt it. 

Where are you getting fitted? I took lessons at Golftec and wanted a whole new bag, my instructor wouldnt even let me look at new clubs or get the fitting until AFTER all of my lessons. I cant thank him enough!

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Where are you getting fitted? I took lessons at Golftec and wanted a whole new bag, my instructor wouldnt even let me look at new clubs or get the fitting until AFTER all of my lessons. I cant thank him enough!

My instructor is at my club and I already purchased lessons which I will complete before I go get fitted (which will be at a dedicated fitter). The fitter is a highly regarded independent shop on the east side of Cleveland. As an FYI, I'm getting a full bag fitting however, in terms of club replacement I'll be focused on woods and hybrids. My Irons are working pretty well along with my wedges so while there may be some tweaking I don.t expect much change there.

As an update I was at the range today and hitting my RBZ 3 wood pretty well.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

As has been stated many times, work on your swing first.  I've always been in the boat that I'll never achieve the perfect swing, but I can achieve something that is repeatable and consistent.  Consistency is what makes a good fitting worth the money.  If your swing changes day to day as you're chasing one thing from another, the fitting will be useless.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Archived