tony@CIC

Fairway woods - chicken or the egg??

Fix your swing first, ignore that results of the ball flight. Once your swing is fixed, get fitted! If you get fitted first, it will be fit to your improper swing and any changes to swing negate the fitting

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Apes44 said:

Fix your swing first, ignore that results of the ball flight. Once your swing is fixed, get fitted! If you get fitted first, it will be fit to your improper swing and any changes to swing negate the fitting

That's the way I felt, so I bought a really cheap fairway wood on ebay (since I sold my previous one) and have signed up for lessons. I'm going to a complete bag fitting in May so this fairway wood is intended as a "throwaway" club. And who knows maybe during the fitting it could be the right wood for me - but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

That's the way I felt, so I bought a really cheap fairway wood on ebay (since I sold my previous one) and have signed up for lessons. I'm going to a complete bag fitting in May so this fairway wood is intended as a "throwaway" club. And who knows maybe during the fitting it could be the right wood for me - but I doubt it. 

Where are you getting fitted? I took lessons at Golftec and wanted a whole new bag, my instructor wouldnt even let me look at new clubs or get the fitting until AFTER all of my lessons. I cant thank him enough!

• Like 1

Where are you getting fitted? I took lessons at Golftec and wanted a whole new bag, my instructor wouldnt even let me look at new clubs or get the fitting until AFTER all of my lessons. I cant thank him enough!

My instructor is at my club and I already purchased lessons which I will complete before I go get fitted (which will be at a dedicated fitter). The fitter is a highly regarded independent shop on the east side of Cleveland. As an FYI, I'm getting a full bag fitting however, in terms of club replacement I'll be focused on woods and hybrids. My Irons are working pretty well along with my wedges so while there may be some tweaking I don.t expect much change there.

As an update I was at the range today and hitting my RBZ 3 wood pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

As has been stated many times, work on your swing first.  I've always been in the boat that I'll never achieve the perfect swing, but I can achieve something that is repeatable and consistent.  Consistency is what makes a good fitting worth the money.  If your swing changes day to day as you're chasing one thing from another, the fitting will be useless.

• Like 1