TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adding length to wedges

Since I can’t play golf I have time to sit around and think about golf. Looking back at 2018 I started with the Cobra F8 One Length irons. I loved the 9, G, SW and LW. I felt like on full swings it was like throwing darts. Unfortunately I struggled a bit with the other clubs in comparison to the Cleveland Launcher HB irons I was fortunate to test.

With the Launchers I am a better scorer but not as accurate with scoring clubs. I use the Launcher 9 and PW with CBX 48, 52 and 56. As I reflected more I realized the most accurate scoring clubs I ever played were the Wilson CI9 irons. I checked the specs and they were all 36” long. My others range from 35.5 to 35 inches.

So the point of this is if I add length to the Launchers and CBX wedges and make them all 36” do I need to adjust lie, weight, anything else or is it a small enough to just go with it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

IT would depend on the actual lie angle of the Wilson clubs or the single length clubs you were hitting.

If they are the same now then extend it and enjoy. If not then extend and adjust to want you know works.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

12 hours ago, Wedgie said:

So the point of this is if I add length to the Launchers and CBX wedges and make them all 36” do I need to adjust lie, weight, anything else or is it a small enough to just go with it?

You don't have to do anything if you lengthen the club.  

Here is the effect of adding length.   Each 1/2 inch will increase swingweight by 3; for example D2 will become D5.  While you don't physically change the lie angle, you effectively make the club more upright if you were to grip the club in the same manner.    

For some people these changes wont be noticeable but for others they will feel a big difference.   My suggestion would be to add an extension to the club and see how it works; you can always undo the change.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

You don't have to do anything if you lengthen the club.  

Here is the effect of adding length.   Each 1/2 inch will increase swingweight by 3; for example D2 will become D5.  While you don't physically change the lie angle, you effectively make the club more upright if you were to grip the club in the same manner.    

For some people these changes wont be noticeable but for others they will feel a big difference.   My suggestion would be to add an extension to the club and see how it works; you can always undo the change.  

What would be the preferred technique here? Wooden dowel fitted into the end under the grip? Just curious.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

What would be the preferred technique here? Wooden dowel fitted into the end under the grip? Just curious.

They make shaft extensions that you epoxy into the end of the shaft. Check on a site like golfworks; they have graphite and steel options.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks guys, I’m going to add extensions this week. I think the extra swing weight may be a benefit as well but only one way to find out.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

As stated, shaft extensions are pretty easy to get hold of and fit. 

Obviously, adding length to your wedges will have a knock-on effect with other things - notably added swing weight but also your distance gapping may change significantly. If you add length, you will automatically add clubhead speed too (although the added swing weight may offset this slightly) so be prepared to tweak the lofts or alter your swing length to dial in your yardages.

Lie angle will also be critical if you add length - the higher the loft the more critical it becomes for potentially hitting off line. Check the lies after any alterations always, particularly with added length because the added swing weight can have an effect on toe droop at impact and ultimately flex - which in turn refers you back to yardages etc.

Be prepared to get your logical thinking cap on and work out the best solution in each case - from my experience, it's a lot better to alter to serve a purpose rather scratch an itch, so maybe experiment on one wedge first before committing to the rest. And lastly, never alter your swing to suit your equipment - instead, alter your equipment to suit your swing.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally believe that by playing a consistent length (and lie) in all of your wedges you will develop more consistency in your overall swing. By having the same length and lie - directional control will also show improvements through consistency at address as well as impact. No more compensating for the clubs that were simply too short. 

Thanks

TLT DAN

True Length Technology

True Frequency Technology

I went ahead and had all 3 wedges lengthened to 36” and same lie angle on each. Played 2 rounds with them in cold, sloppy wet conditions but it seems to be the correct decision for me. Clean crisp contact on all full swings and on line. Strange thing is the True Spec guys think I may benefit from shortening all other clubs a quarter of an inch.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve found, in my own testing, that playing a single ball position benefits from wedges being the same length as my 9 iron.  If you move the ball position based on the club you are hitting, traditional lengths usually work better.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Archived