TESTERS WANTED! ×

Member Introductions

Hi, I just realized I've been on here for a while and never posted to this thread.

My name is Blaine. I'm 41 years old and have a wife and two kids - both boys aged 6 and 12. I played golf in High School and then took a long break. I started playing again about 7 years ago. Professionally, I'm in software development but I'm also a freelance writer and blogger in my spare time. I founded a golf website last year called Addicted2Golf.net, which is also my handle.

I've met some fantastic golf addicts on this board. A forum like this one is only as good as it's members and MGS is off to a great start!

Blaine, great to put some info to the name. I am 41 also, same, played some in high school, got back into it about 11 years ago. Two kids also, but mine are a tad bit younger! You have your kids interested in golf yet?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blaine, great to put some info to the name. I am 41 also, same, played some in high school, got back into it about 11 years ago. Two kids also, but mine are a tad bit younger! You have your kids interested in golf yet?

Hey John. Yes, I started them out with lessons last season. I had gone out with my oldest before that but he really didn't take to it that much. Once his younger brother got interested, then his competitive juices got flowing and now he wants to play again.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

MSG and MSG Forum users:

My emotions have gotten the better of me and I blew up. There is no way in hell a single person should have 100+ posts a day. I know for a fact that if this happened on any other forum, the poster would have been banned. This viewpoint is why I have decided to take an absence of posting... Congratulations to the very few posters...

-Willie

I see you are back now. Change of heart?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Hey John. Yes, I started them out with lessons last season. I had gone out with my oldest before that but he really didn't take to it that much. Once his younger brother got interested, then his competitive juices got flowing and now he wants to play again.

You guys should really look into The First Tee. My son loved it, and my daughter will do it maybe next summer. She is showing interest in this silly game, finally. Wife is still holding at a stable "hell no".

Love that woman... :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

You guys should really look into The First Tee. My son loved it, and my daughter will do it maybe next summer. She is showing interest in this silly game, finally. Wife is still holding at a stable "hell no".

Love that woman... wub.gif

Getting kids into golf is a great investment in the future. As many of you know, I just got back from 6 days with my dad in Myrtle. It's one of my favorite things all year, just spending the time with him and playing golf. Golf is something you can do with your kids for a long long time.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Getting kids into golf is a great investment in the future. As many of you know, I just got back from 6 days with my dad in Myrtle. It's one of my favorite things all year, just spending the time with him and playing golf. Golf is something you can do with your kids for a long long time.

Did your dad get you into it?

Volvo Intorqueo

Did your dad get you into it?

Yeah, when I was little my parents made me try everything, so I did group golf lessons. I didn't really enjoy playing until I was about 19 or 20, and now I'm the one dragging him to the course. I played with him periodically even when I didn't love the game, though.

The best advice I can give to parents is to not try to teach all the time...or ever. One of the things that frustrated me about the game was perpetually getting lessons from dad, who's a chop. Whether you're good or not, just let your kids do what they want and enjoy the game. If they enjoy it, they'll want to get better and they'll ask for help.

I agree 100%, my Grandfather got me to play my first couple of rounds and I didn't stick with it early, because of basketball and volleyball. I kick myself now, since he is no longer with us, but I cherish those rounds as some of my most favorite memories of growing up.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I am very envious of you guys that had someone to steer you into the game. I am flying bling a bit. My mom took me out to play when I was 12, twice, but it took another 26 years to get lessons and improve, all on my own.

For me, even if they don't latch onto it now, First Tee gives my kids a better foundation than I had should they drop it and come back later...

Volvo Intorqueo

I am very envious of you guys that had someone to steer you into the game. I am flying bling a bit. My mom took me out to play when I was 12, twice, but it took another 26 years to get lessons and improve, all on my own.

For me, even if they don't latch onto it now, First Tee gives my kids a better foundation than I had should they drop it and come back later...

Absolutely. I also think that learning the game with other kids is a positive thing, it makes it more fun. The one thing I remember from my group lessons is meeting other kids and playing 3 holes with them after the lesson. That part of the game I liked a lot. The 20 yard worm burners, not so much.

• SPY VIP

Absolutely. I also think that learning the game with other kids is a positive thing, it makes it more fun. The one thing I remember from my group lessons is meeting other kids and playing 3 holes with them after the lesson. That part of the game I liked a lot. The 20 yard worm burners, not so much.

For my son, it was not social/active enough at this point in his life. Boy is a running machine. Soccer took out golf last Fall. Loves the team aspect. He hated swim team too b'c of the isolation from others on his team during the head down time.

But he did a year of First Tee lessons and the foundation is set for later.

Volvo Intorqueo

For my son, it was not social/active enough at this point in his life. Boy is a running machine. Soccer took out golf last Fall. Loves the team aspect. He hated swim team too b'c of the isolation from others on his team during the head down time.

But he did a year of First Tee lessons and the foundation is set for later.

Understandable. At that age, it takes a certain personality to enjoy golf. I did not have it. I think your point about laying the foundation is well taken, if they come back they'll have some good knowledge about playing the game, and they'll have had the rules & etiquette explained.

• SPY VIP

Understandable. At that age, it takes a certain personality to enjoy golf. I did not have it. I think your point about laying the foundation is well taken, if they come back they'll have some good knowledge about playing the game, and they'll have had the rules & etiquette explained.

And the desire to "bomb it" as my son picked up last year too. B)

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Seriously? That sounds...well...bad from a golfing perspective, but it also sounds super cute that a little kid tells you that he wants to "bomb it."

Just a term he picked up from somewhere that he used when he made flush contact. No from me either. B)

I did once tell him he really hit it on the screws, and he looked at the club and said "what screws?" lol for dad on that one

Volvo Intorqueo

I see you are back now. Change of heart?

Posting less and avoiding confrontations...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Just a term he picked up from somewhere that he used when he made flush contact. No from me either. :)

I did once tell him he really hit it on the screws, and he looked at the club and said "what screws?" lol for dad on that one

My dad still talks about hitting it on the screws, too, though I have actually used a persimmon driver before. Hitting it on the screws is definitely an expression that is no longer descriptive. Though we still talk about "dialing a phone" even though phones don't have rotary dials.

Hi all, my name is Mark and I currently live in New Jersey. I have been playing golf for sixteen years and am a PGA Professional in the Philadelphia section. I worked at two courses in North Carolina for two years after college before returning to the Philadelphia area. I am currently on staff with Adams Golf and in the past have been on staff with Taylor Made, Bridgestone, and Nike.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Hi all, my name is Mark and I currently live in New Jersey. I have been playing golf for sixteen years and am a PGA Professional in the Philadelphia section. I worked at two courses in North Carolina for two years after college before returning to the Philadelphia area. I am currently on staff with Adams Golf and in the past have been on staff with Taylor Made, Bridgestone, and Nike.

Welcome aboard, you wouldn't happen to know my buddy and fellow PGA Pro and Staff member for Taylor Made and Adams, Jamie Smith in Virginia Beach would you?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Welcome to MGS! Where in North Carolina were you?

Sanford, just outside of Cary and then in the Charlotte area.

My dad got me into it when I was a couple of years old. We would hit balls from a 2 story driving range, and the 2nd story fascinated me, so I always wanted to go. I started competing in 8th grade when I realized I wasn't any good at soccer or baseball, so I practiced hard and made the school team.

Welcome aboard, you wouldn't happen to know my buddy and fellow PGA Pro and Staff member for Taylor Made and Adams, Jamie Smith in Virginia Beach would you?

Unfortunately not, although I will be swinging through that area in a couple of weeks on my way to North Carolina.

Hi everyone:

My name is Rick and I am from Ontario, Canada. I'm 54 and love putters and the game of golf in general. As well, it is very nice to see some very familiar names from other places.

Welcome Rick. If you love putters and talking putters, then you've definitely come to the right place. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

My daughter is in the First Tee Program already..;>

Can you guys tell me a little more about First Tee? Maybe the subject of another thread, but I'd like to find out more and particularly your experiences with it.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

My wife plays too. I'm hoping one day we can all four go out and play 18. How freaking cool would that be?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived