Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Curious...What are your all-time favorite shovels?

deejaid

So for some reason, maybe it’s the lack of golf lately, I’ve been on eBay looking for this best deal I can find on a set of shovels. I don’t know why. Every time I’ve tried a large head iron with tons of offset and super wide soles it’s been a disaster. I guess I’m just curious as to how easy it can be to hit some of these clubs.

So, what is your favorite all-time shovel? Which ones can be had for a steal, meaning under $200 for a set?

I was thinking of buying a set of Ping G10’s just because curiosity has gotten the best of me, but which others would you guys recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Adams a3os hybrid irons. My first time getting to single digit handicap was with these clubs. Second time was with the Launcher HB irons. Guess I was meant for chunky. Found a set for $99 on eBay but remote so can’t link it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

... Cleveland 588MT's. Basically mini little hybrids from pw-4 iron that are crazy easy to hit high and straight. After playing 588TT's and loving them, I found a set of Lady 588MT's on Ebay for Mrs Chisag and she hits them better than any irons she has owned. Honestly if you are looking for forgiving, high and straight, the MT's are almost like cheating. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Cleveland 588MT's. Basically mini little hybrids from pw-4 iron that are crazy easy to hit high and straight. After playing 588TT's and loving them, I found a set of Lady 588MT's on Ebay for Mrs Chisag and she hits them better than any irons she has owned. Honestly if you are looking for forgiving, high and straight, the MT's are almost like cheating. 

Those were some great feeling clubs. Got my only ace with one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Nike VR_S were my only set of SGI irons. Super easy to hit once I developed a better swing

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nike VR_S were my only set of SGI irons. Super easy to hit once I developed a better swing

The Nike VR-s forged is what I game. I really like them but feel it’s time to find more workable clubs as my game has improved. Not saying I’m to good for a SGI iron set. Mainly just wanting new clubs . You guys know what I’m saying

CobraConnectChallenge3

6 hours ago, robertson153 said:

The Nike VR-s forged is what I game. I really like them but feel it’s time to find more workable clubs as my game has improved. Not saying I’m to good for a SGI iron set. Mainly just wanting new clubs emoji16.png. You guys know what I’m saying emoji6.png

The VR_S forged are awesome clubs. Those are def more players irons than GI. I’m still on the lookout for the 2i they made for tour players

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I bought my wife her first set of clubs last year, some 30 year old Spalding Executive XE’s. The XE’s are a full set of hybrids. She hits them really well and when we were at the range and I decided they looked like fun and gave them a swing. Wow! Stupid easy to hit and a lot of fun. That’s when I thought maybe I should have a set, but was curious which others you all tried that are dead simple to hit and lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Mizuno JPX EZ 2014 version. Sure, people did like the orange, but those mothers were super easy to launch. Awesome irons. Worth spending the extra $100 for too, the $319 price tag on Ebay.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Do Ping Eye 2's count as shovels? They're pretty compact from heel to toe, but the sole interaction on those were shovel-esque for me

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

... Please excuse my soapbox moment but I am so tired of reading wide soled SGI's have poor turf interaction and prevent good ball strikers from hitting good shots. To be crystal clear ... for good ball strikers the ball is long gone before the sole ever touches the ground. Sole interaction is 100% irrelevant to contact and the kind of shot you hit. So sole width has zero to do with performance when taking a divot. 

... Now that said, there is certainly a pleasant feel associated with a sharp leading edge and a narrow sole that is like the over used  "hot knife thru butter". I played a set of Honma 737's several times this summer and the turf interaction was just so exquisite and divots were easily carved out with almost no resistance. Contrast that with the feeling of my P790's that do not get thru the ground as easily and seem to labor a little more like a butter knife thru a well done burger. They get thru the ground  just fine but not effortlessly like a thin soled MB/CB with a sharp leading edge. Of course a thin soled sharp leaving edge has dangers for any but the best ball strikers so as always with golf equipment there is a trade off, like hitting it a little heavy or thin. For me, performance always trumps feel. I would rather see my P790 5 iron struck a hair thin go almost as high and far as a perfectly struck shot, than my Honma's hit thin that rattle my entire skeleton and produce a low shot that loses significant distance. 

... So if SGI's give you the performance you need, pay no attention to turf interaction and most SGI players probably pick the ball off the turf more than take a divot anyway. But if you do take a divot with your SGI's, enjoy the ball flight and ignore the turf interaction. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

27 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Please excuse my soapbox moment but I am so tired of reading wide soled SGI's have poor turf interaction and prevent good ball strikers from hitting good shots. To be crystal clear ... for good ball strikers the ball is long gone before the sole ever touches the ground. Sole interaction is 100% irrelevant to contact and the kind of shot you hit. So sole width has zero to do with performance when taking a divot. 

... Now that said, there is certainly a pleasant feel associated with a sharp leading edge and a narrow sole that is like the over used  "hot knife thru butter". I played a set of Honma 737's several times this summer and the turf interaction was just so exquisite and divots were easily carved out with almost no resistance. Contrast that with the feeling of my P790's that do not get thru the ground as easily and seem to labor a little more like a butter knife thru a well done burger. They get thru the ground  just fine but not effortlessly like a thin soled MB/CB with a sharp leading edge. Of course a thin soled sharp leaving edge has dangers for any but the best ball strikers so as always with golf equipment there is a trade off hitting it a little heavy or thin. For me, performance always trumps feel. I would rather see my P790 5 iron struck a hair thin go almost as high and far as a perfectly struck shot, than my Honma's hit thin that rattle my skeleton and produce a low shot that loses significant distance. 

... So if SGI's give you the performance you need, pay no attention to turf interaction and most SGI players probably pick the ball off he turf more than take a divot anyway. But if you do take a divot with your SGI's, enjoy the all flight and ignore the turf interaction. 

I get what you're saying and a great example is jacustomgolf, a +3 index who is playing the PING G700, and his handicap went from I believe +1.8 to the +3 after the switch.  He was a tester for them this summer, and had such great results with them, he kept them in the bag.   Obviously he qualifies as a good ball striker, so he had no issues.  

But for us less than perfect strikers who hit the big ball before the small ball more often than we care, the wide soles are generally a help.  Not 100% of the time, it is still dependent on the individual swing of course.  But in very general speaking the wide sole G700 or AP1 etc is going to allow a bit better turf "interaction" for the majority of less than perfect ball strikers. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

It's a old set but my old Cobra s3 max irons definitely fit here.

Big heads, offset galore, even had what was almost like baffler rails on the sole. These were my first set of real irons ... Oh and the big cicle groove face to show you where to hit the ball!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I got two sets that fit the criteria, the first set of my own was a complete Wilson fat shaft 2 irons 3-wedge with oversize Winn grips That my golf instructor gave me at 13 years old. They have a nice spot in the corner out of trouble and I never intend to sell them. The 2nd set was a bit later around when I was 17ish I got hold of a set of Nike tw blades with mid cavity irons in the 7-4 irons. Probably some of the best I had in all categories but I ended up selling them and still regret it.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 2 months later...

Probably the only PING club I ever got along with... the Rapture V2...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...

TourStage TS 202

Titleist TSi2 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Titleist TS2 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Titleist TS3 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Yonex ezone CB 501 MCC MMT 105S
54* Cobra Snakebite MCC MMT 105S
58* Cobra Snakebite MCC MMT 105S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

The only shovels I have personally played would be a set of Nike sq machspeed irons and they aren’t actually all that bad. Got my only hole in one with those ugly things.

Callaway Diablo Edge. Those things were huge and only wanted to do one thing - go high and straight. Dumb move on my end to sell them.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Archived