Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Got it, opened it, getting the software ready for first use this evening. First impression: it's smaller than I expected.

IMG_20190104_120515.jpg

That has got to be better than a ps4 or xbox one right, Kirke?

Edited by blackngold_blood
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

If I just had the screen, it would be a massive problem. The tarp behind the screen is what is stopping the ball. The screen itself is slightly fancier than a white sheet. Its sole purpose is to allow visibility for a projector.

My dad suggested replacing the plastic tarp with canvas, which I will likely do at some point, if I see any wear on the tarp.

I use a $20 canvas drop cloth to show movies in my driveway.  Works like a charm.  Haven't hit golf balls into it yet, but I imagine it'd stop them.  And I wouldn't worry too much if I put a hole in it. 

• Like 1

Guys, this is awesome. It might be the coolest thing I've ever purchased.

[So much for subtlety in a review.]

I've still got a ways to go before I'm ready to write a full review. But my early impressions are very positive.

The biggest downside: there are too many shots it simply fails to read. For me, it has especially struggled on full and high wedge shots. Did a test today with two different patterns on the ball: lines and Truvis-like pattern (I have a little template for each of these). The lined ball seemed to be doing better, until Kirke shanked it into the dark corners of the garage, from whence we could not find it.

The other smaller negative: the delay between the shot and its result. I didn't find this too awful, but it is mildly irritating.

The best part: the depth of the software. It's not just giving you all the ball data; it sets up drills and keeps records for how you're doing. This is where I see it having massive benefits for my game.

Today, I did a short game test: three shots to each of six targets. Here are the results:

download_20190105_123611.jpg

That kind of information is so helpful. I've got a problem around 100 yards, which doesn't surprise me: it's the upper limit of my 54° wedge. I also pull everything left. Now I have something to work on, and immediate feedback to know if I'm getting better.

I'm planning on venturing over to @revkev's thread on coaching vs. self-teaching, but I'll say this: this is the kind of tool that those of us who go without coaching (for whatever reason) can use to make legit progress.

I'm incredibly excited at the possibilities this season presents now.

• Like 4

The big question is do the results you are seeing on the screen match what you see on the course?   You mentioned left miss and struggling at 100 yards.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The big question is do the results you are seeing on the screen match what you see on the course?   You mentioned left miss and struggling at 100 yards.  

I don't know that I would have told you that I had a problem at 100 yards, but I know without question that I pull wedge shots. So that much immediately rang true. I'll check the other on Game Golf when I have a chance.

One more thought: the left miss was consistent through all my wedge shots on SkyTrak. I think that's real. But the misses that cluster around 100 yards may yet be small sample size (six shots).

• Like 1

Guys, this is awesome. It might be the coolest thing I've ever purchased.
[so much for subtlety in a review.]
I've still got a ways to go before I'm ready to write a full review. But my early impressions are very positive.
The biggest downside: there are too many shots it simply fails to read. For me, it has especially struggled on full and high wedge shots. Did a test today with two different patterns on the ball: lines and Truvis-like pattern (I have a little template for each of these). The lined ball seemed to be doing better, until Kirke shanked it into the dark corners of the garage, from whence we could not find it.
The other smaller negative: the delay between the shot and its result. I didn't find this too awful, but it is mildly irritating.
The best part: the depth of the software. It's not just giving you all the ball data; it sets up drills and keeps records for how you're doing. This is where I see it having massive benefits for my game.
Today, I did a short game test: three shots to each of six targets. Here are the results:
download_20190105_123611.jpg.abe7ec5fe920afb7544e38ae59c9332d.jpg
That kind of information is so helpful. I've got a problem around 100 yards, which doesn't surprise me: it's the upper limit of my 54° wedge. I also pull everything left. Now I have something to work on, and immediate feedback to know if I'm getting better.
I'm planning on venturing over to [mention=16651]revkev[/mention]'s thread on coaching vs. self-teaching, but I'll say this: this is the kind of tool that those of us who go without coaching (for whatever reason) can use to make legit progress.
I'm incredibly excited at the possibilities this season presents now.

How’s yours in terms of alignment? I find I have to have mine sit slightly open or else it registers everything as a pull. Not a huge hook but definitely registers everything left

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

How’s yours in terms of alignment? I find I have to have mine sit slightly open or else it registers everything as a pull. Not a huge hook but definitely registers everything left

I'm still dialing it in. I get the cable I need for my projector this week. At that point, it'll be moving obvious where I should align everything.

That said, the results I was seeing were very much in line with expectations, as to left and right misses. My misreads have either been 1) no read at all, or 2) very implausible spin rates.

• Like 1

I'm presuming this system allows you to play simulated rounds, on courses around the globe, from the comfort of your "man/kid cave"?  While the swing ball flight stats are cool, it's the simulated round function that has me interested.

12 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm presuming this system allows you to play simulated rounds, on courses around the globe, from the comfort of your "man/kid cave"?  While the swing ball flight stats are cool, it's the simulated round function that has me interested.

Someone asked about this above, and I will have more to say when I write up my fuller review. But the simulated round functionality is a significant added expense, one that I'm unwilling to pay right now.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, cnosil said:

Did some followup research in Game Golf. Over the last 15 rounds:

• From 50-75: 88% within 15 yards.
  • From 75-100: 57%
  • From 100-125: 66%
  • From 125-150: 48%

So it does look like there is on-course data that supports what the SkyTrak saw. The opportunity to bring on-course and practice stats together like this is so intriguing to me.

• Like 3

Did some followup research in Game Golf. Over the last 15 rounds:
  • From 50-75: 88% within 15 yards.
  • From 75-100: 57%
  • From 100-125: 66%
  • From 125-150: 48%
So it does look like there is on-course data that supports what the SkyTrak saw. The opportunity to bring on-course and practice stats together like this is so intriguing to me.

Welcome to the world of data analytics. Line your data to see if everything matches up and when you start to identify trends play to them. For example if you don’t want to change the swing start aiming a little more right on those approaches. Learn the size of you dispersion circles for each club and when you aim, put that dispersion circle over your target area to see where you should really be aiming.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Welcome to the world of data analytics. Line your data to see if everything matches up and when you start to identify trends play to them. For example if you don’t want to change the swing start aiming a little more right on those approaches. Learn the size of you dispersion circles for each club and when you aim, put that dispersion circle over your target area to see where you should really be aiming.

It's almost like cheating....almost.  🙂

• Like 2

It's almost like cheating....almost.  

Nah. Not cheating just smart golf. You can do all if it on paper, just easier with technology.
  • Like 1

I have the package that allows me to play WGT. There are a ton of simulation packages...but since I have iOS products I’m limited to WGT. Pretty much what you’d see if you downloaded it on your phone to play for fun is the same as what you can do with the skytrak. Can play full rounds at various courses. Can also do random holes, best of par 3s and such. Chipping and putting can be a little iffy but overall it’s a blast to play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

So please share your secret...

How did you get your wife's approval?

I need to know

I’m interested in this answer as well. I’ve got AMEX points out the rear and SkyTrak is offered. Probably cost me more convincing her we need it than to just buy it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Honestly: I have a very kind, gracious wife. The church takes good care of us, but not extravagantly (we wouldn't want them to be extravagant). My wife's frugality in everyday shopping practically adds 30% to my salary, in terms of getting value per dollar.

So all that to say: I haven't got much advice. She's better than I deserve, not just in this, and I'm grateful.

• Like 4