TESTERS WANTED! ×

If you Made a driver, what would it have?

ArizonaDave

I'll make a driver which will collect data like swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, ball spin, any side spin, face impact position. All these data can be downloaded into computer or iPhone, which can be tabulated in CSV format for analysis.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

My ideal driver would have a deep face so when my swing gets a little steep or I get sloppy on my elevation during the swing (we'll call it over swinging),I only lose a little distance rather than suffering a pop up. The shaft would lean towards the short end...No 46.5 inch shafts for me. 44.5 to 45.5 keeps me in fairways. I have enough swing speed for good distance, I want to play in the fairway on occasion. Classic head shape (no square heads). I'll jump on a swing analyzer for the specific shaft/loft combo but need to have an 8 degree loft available.

I'll make a driver which will collect data like swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, ball spin, any side spin, face impact position. All these data can be downloaded into computer or iPhone, which can be tabulated in CSV format for analysis.

This is not too far off from what I think Nike is looking at for the near future..... No joke. A launch Monitor inside a driver.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The claimed technology behind the S3 driver is where I'd start. The elliptical sweet-spot favoring misses high toward the toe and low toward the heel address my flaws.

Also, I'd prefer a similar driver with a cup-face. I just seem to hit them better whether it be a Macgregor NVG2 Tour, Tour Edge XCG-3 Tour, or Callaway Octane Tour (presently own all three :) ).

This is not too far off from what I think Nike is looking at for the near future..... No joke. A launch Monitor inside a driver.

Wow!

How about a driver with a build-in gyroscope that automatically helps me to return the clubface square to the target line? Bet Nike didn't think of that, or have they?

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Wow!

How about a driver with a build-in gyroscope that automatically helps me to return the clubface square to the target line? Bet Nike didn't think of that, or have they?

There was a training aid by SKLZ that had that. I believe it was on the Golf Channel show Fore Inventors Only. They were a few hundred bucks but can be had reasonably cheap now.

Since my last post was just about price, here are a few things I would include: MWT, the Titleist hosel thingy, i-Mix, all black paintjob. That's all I think of right now...

• 1 month later...

I have read somewhere previously (v. possibly somewhere on this site in fact) that this was going to be the next step for drivers. Making it compatible with a smartphone would be the logical step; would also be useful if it could be tied in with a GPS device such as a SkyCaddie...

I am going for a club fitting session in a few hours and this will primarily be done with Mizuno club-fitting technology. When booking for this session I got a quick explanation of how it works:

Basically you swing with one club (same flex, lie, length etc). This club has a black box device on the shaft just beneath the grip. The shaft then has built into this 5 different measuring devices. Information on which shaft is right for you is then revealed. Swing speed and launch angle are 2 of the 5 measurements I recall him saying were factored in.

Including the sort of technology you are talking about is therefore already there; just in a club fitting device rather than a commercially available club.

One issue would be cost, another the exact way in which this would be included into a club. Into the shaft or into the clubhead? Which would reveal more information? Cost also would be brutal - drivers with regards to forgiveness, adjustibility etc have got to be as far developed as they can be surely? Where next do the Taylormades of the world go? There's only so light you can make a driver, only so forgiving it can possibly be, 'hotness' of the face is already regulated...

I would not be surprised however for this to be rolled out into driver fitting firstly however before being commercially available - due to the costs. You could easily imagine £300-400 (pounds sterling - £1 = approx $1.65) being added to the cost of a market-leading driver...

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

Archived