Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Cobbled Fun Bags

kingcscott

I recently saw a random Scratch 6iron sale and snatched it up. Decided to make my self a fun bag. I have an old white vinyl carry bag and like to play a 6 or 7 club bag with it. So I have some other random clubs and will start picking up some other things. Maybe a wood wood!? A baby blade? An MP-64? Don’t know what to do about a putter. I have an old #9 i customized and used until the Evnroll came into my life. Suggestions? Relatable’s?

@GSwag should have some insight. 

I'd like to give this a shot too, but more to see how I could play with persimmons and 70's blades. I don't know, it could be fun to see how people played 50 years ago. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I bought a Sunday bag at Edwin Watts for $50, and filled it with 15 year old clubs.

• PING G5 driver
  • PING G5 4 hybrid
  • PING i3+ 7 iron
  • Cleveland PW
  • Cleveland 58* LW
  • PING G5 B60 putter

These are all clubs that haven't been in my bag in some time, and I filled this bag this way because they were sitting in the house and not being used.  But you can fill this sort of bag however you want, with whatever you want.  My brother has a hickory bag filled with hickories that he plays with all the time, and all of these are old hickories that he either made himself, or picked up somewhere along the way.

The trick to this is to not overthink it, and to have fun with it.  And hey, you might surprise yourself with something like this.  I went 36 holes straight my last week doing this at the beginning of December and shot even par over that time, which is way better than I've ever done with my full 14 club set.  Sometimes I think all the technology and advanced equipment messes with our minds, as we get to a certain yardage and are between clubs and spend 5 minutes making a decision which club to pull.  With only 6 clubs in the bag you are never between clubs, and you simply walk up to the ball, pull the most obvious club, and hit it.  Perhaps that works best for me, as I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer anyway.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Sorry guys my mind is in the gutter and I'm disappointed these aren't the fun bags I was thinking of.

Back on topic sounds like something [mention=4406]BIG STU[/mention] would do or have. Also it sounds like fun

These fun bags are easier to deal with than the others. I’m Kidding ladies!

[mention=71158]GSwag[/mention] should have some insight. 
I'd like to give this a shot too, but more to see how I could play with persimmons and 70's blades. I don't know, it could be fun to see how people played 50 years ago. 

I don’t think I am looking for just old clubs just some things that I won’t or can’t afford to buy a whole set of. But I do like playing old sticks as well. I have some relics sitting around here. As well as some dear things I would put into play again.

I bought a Sunday bag at Edwin Watts for $50, and filled it with 15 year old clubs.

• PING G5 driver
  • PING G5 4 hybrid
  • PING i3+ 7 iron
  • Cleveland PW
  • Cleveland 58* LW
  • PING G5 B60 putter
These are all clubs that haven't been in my bag in some time, and I filled this bag this way because they were sitting in the house and not being used.  But you can fill this sort of bag however you want, with whatever you want.  My brother has a hickory bag filled with hickories that he plays with all the time, and all of these are old hickories that he either made himself, or picked up somewhere along the way.

The trick to this is to not overthink it, and to have fun with it.  And hey, you might surprise yourself with something like this.  I went 36 holes straight my last week doing this at the beginning of December and shot even par over that time, which is way better than I've ever done with my full 14 club set.  Sometimes I think all the technology and advanced equipment messes with our minds, as we get to a certain yardage and are between clubs and spend 5 minutes making a decision which club to pull.  With only 6 clubs in the bag you are never between clubs, and you simply walk up to the ball, pull the most obvious club, and hit it.  Perhaps that works best for me, as I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer anyway.

Yo G. I was watching across field talking about hitting the next higher club soft or fading or just producing the shot he wanted. He did it because he says it is his creative side not walking up and just smacking one hard every time. That is how I think of playing my short bag. I like playing with limited tools as I have to get in the zen of my game and just see if I can pull s*** off. Why not. It’s a game.

4 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

Yo G. I was watching across field talking about hitting the next higher club soft or fading or just producing the shot he wanted. He did it because he says it is his creative side not walking up and just smacking one hard every time. That is how I think of playing my short bag. I like playing with limited tools as I have to get in the zen of my game and just see if I can pull s*** off. Why not. It’s a game. I did your bag.

I got really good at the 3/4 7 iron, and the half PW from 100 yards.  I honestly think learning to hit those types of shots can only improve your overall game, as like you said, if you are just ripping everything full everytime you never really learn the finesse aspect of this game, or become a better feel player for the touch shot.  It's honestly a lot of fun too, and I am only talking about myself, but with 6 clubs I didn't have any expectations, and if I shot bad I kind of expected it.  But the first time I went out that way I shot like 37 for 9 holes and was shocked that I was playing better with the 6 clubs then I was with 14.  Crazy game.

1 minute ago, kingcscott said:

How do you know what to buy when looking at wooden woods

Ask http://www.tadmoore.com/

Believe it or not, they aren't any cheaper than the new stuff.  You can spend quite a bit of change on these suckers.  My suggestion would be to go around to garage sales and find something someone wants to give away basically.

Also, that link above is for hickory clubs.  There is also https://louisvillegolf.com/ that has quite a bit of information and club selection to choose from.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, tommc23 said:

Sorry guys my mind is in the gutter and I'm disappointed these aren't the fun bags I was thinking of.

Back on topic sounds like something @BIG STU would do or have. Also it sounds like fun

You nailed it old buddy--- I do that sorta thing all the time---- I have a old Sunday bag someone gave me and it is even modified as in I put a really well padded Titleist strap I had laying around. I have so much stuff sometimes I take the empty bag and pick me out 7 clubs or so. I do a bunch of different combos. Sometimes say a  metal driver with some classic irons and maybe a couple of hickory clubs in for good measure. Most of the time though it is a persimmon driver and of course a 1 or 2 iron. I do not keep score per say maybe review after the round. Sometimes I surprise myself. For me it is about the walk and hitting some shots with old stuff.  Putters is kinda like huum see if I can actually putt with this thing

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, kingcscott said:

How do you know what to buy when looking at wooden woods

Depends on what you are doing---- Persimmon and Strata block hit about the same---- For me I look at the pattern of the wood--- Now something I have had to concern myself with lately due to a ailing back is shaft flex. I can not hit those older stiffer shafts anymore with out getting my back screaming. But old wooden woods can be found cheap in thrift stores and yard sales. Really if you are just messing with them for fun and not collecting it is not rocket science. Find one that fits your eye and go from there---

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

You nailed it old buddy--- I do that sorta thing all the time---- I have a old Sunday bag someone gave me and it is even modified as in I put a really well padded Titleist strap I had laying around. I have so much stuff sometimes I take the empty bag and pick me out 7 clubs or so. I do a bunch of different combos. Sometimes say a  metal driver with some classic irons and maybe a couple of hickory clubs in for good measure. Most of the time though it is a persimmon driver and of course a 1 or 2 iron. I do not keep score per say maybe review after the round. Sometimes I surprise myself. For me it is about the walk and hitting some shots with old stuff.  Putters is kinda like huum see if I can actually putt with this thing

Thanks Big guy. That is exactly what I’m talking about. I don’t know why I haven’t though if hitting up some thrift shops.

Archived