TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite Author

revkev

As for Non Fiction: John Grisham, David Baldacci, Lee Child, James Patterson, Scott Turow, Vince Flynn and Micheal Connelly are all among my favorites.
Reading Grisham's newest right now, The Reckoning and it grabs you from the start.
Sports Authors: These two are probably my two favorite of any type book. 
John Feinstein--Lucky enough to get to see and visit with him once or twice a week during basketball season and he couldn't be nicer!!--I just finished Quarterback.  
James Dodson--Have recommended him a few times here...I dare anyone to read Final Rounds and tell me the room didn't get dusty, and Son of the Game is a must read for any Pinehurst fan or father trying to get his son involved in the game.   But maybe two of my favorite were two autobiography's, one An American Triumvirate  on Hogan, Snead and Nelson, what a great account of each of them, since I didn't get to see any of them play.   And A Golfers Life  on Arnold Palmer is a must read for any Arnie fan. 

I’m with you on most of your choices but one. Lee Child, in my not so literary mind has gotten a bit “sloppy” in a few of the latest Reacher books, just my opinion. The Reacher series has been truly great reads but lately.....
Baldacci & Connelly also are favorites of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Way to many to I love to pick one, but it push comes to shove my favorite would have to be Patrick Rothfuss.  He's only got 2 books out and they are both part of a trilogy.  It's also been over 10 years since the first one came out and I'm still patiently waiting for the 3rd.
I read a ton of fantasy and military fiction/thriller stuff.  
I'm currently working my way through Brad Thor, Brad Taylor and Daniel Silva.
Rothfuss is phenomenal, his storytelling is second to none. Although I believe he subscribes to the George R.R. Martin theory of writing, one book every 5 to 10 years, but it's definitely worth the wait.

I'm also a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, who finished the Wheel of Time when Robert Jordan passed. His ability to create magic systems is incredible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

7 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

good thread!  reminds me of a story my wife told me about one of her job interviews; one of the final questions was "what was the best book you've read recently and why?".... she had to scramble to answer that one. 😃  If you're ever interviewing someone and looking for a non-work type of question...

I read a lot of different types of books and try not to attach myself to one author.  Sometimes it can tend to get repetitive and you can almost predict the storyline.  There are some series that are fantastic though - the girl with the dragon tattoo series by Larsson is incredible; Lisbeth Salander is unforgettable.  I even listened to the audiobook and it was even better because they added the accents of the characters.

Too many to name here but the best I've recently read is "Educated" by Tara Westover; a pretty wild true story about her life...hard to put down.

If you're looking for that 'next read' and goodreads doesn't give you what you want try Bill Gates site - gatesnotes - he's got some really good recommendations.

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say here!

This had me laugh out loud.  My wife listens to audio books a fair bit.  A friend gave her access to her audible account so she would listen to whatever was in there.  I walked into the bedroom one day and "slooty Bethany" came across the airwaves.  "What the heck are you listening to?"  I can't get that out of me head every time I hear a British accent now.

Another decent read is The Detroit Electric Scheme: A Mystery.  My brother-in-law got this for Christmas last year and I read it quick before we all headed home.  It had a neat blend of fiction and history.  Fascinating how far along electric cars were more than 100 years ago!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

32 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m with you on most of your choices but one. Lee Child, in my not so literary mind has gotten a bit “sloppy” in a few of the latest Reacher books, just my opinion. The Reacher series has been truly great reads but lately.....
Baldacci & Connelly also are favorites of mine.

To be honest, I haven't read his most recent ones.  Something called MGS has taken over a lot of my old book reading time...LOL

But my Fiance is reading his current one, so I'm sure it'll be on my side of the bookcase in a week or two.  In the meantime, I've got plenty of the others to keep me occupied.  We just picked up five new books on NY Eve at Barns and Noble, mostly for her to prepare for the plane trip to Orlando and kill time in the evenings at the hotel. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Lots of mystery writers for me but the topper is Clive Cussler. His mysteries are just fun to read.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
I'm with you. I wanted to name our dog Dirk Pitt, but got outvoted.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Used to love the realistic fiction style of Michael Crichton. Was hoping Andy Weir would follow in those footsteps after The Martian came out, but his 2nd book wasn’t anything special.

Rothfuss is another great one, especially since he’s from Wisconsin!

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Just thought of another author who's books I couldn't put down, he's only got 2 so far but both have been fantastic.  Especially if you were a child of the 80's. 

Check out Ernest Cline.  His first book (Ready Player One) I've read a couple of times and still can't put it down once I start.  Haven't watched the movie yet and I've heard it's not fantastic, but the book was amazing.  Armada is his 2nd, has a bit of an Ender's Game feel but I still loved it.

Also nobody's mentioned it yet but a great Urban Fantasy series is the Dresden File's by Jim Butcher.

And 2nd vote for Brandon Sanderson, I've ready pretty much everything he's written.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just thought of another author who's books I couldn't put down, he's only got 2 so far but both have been fantastic.  Especially if you were a child of the 80's. 
Check out Ernest Cline.  His first book (Ready Player One) I've read a couple of times and still can't put it down once I start.  Haven't watched the movie yet and I've heard it's not fantastic, but the book was amazing.  Armada is his 2nd, has a bit of an Ender's Game feel but I still loved it.

Also nobody's mentioned it yet but a great Urban Fantasy series is the Dresden File's by Jim Butcher.
And 2nd vote for Brandon Sanderson, I've ready pretty much everything he's written.
Just finished a second reading of the Dresden Files in hope that he'll be releasing Peace Talks before too long.

Ready Player One has been on my to read list for a while, don't know why I haven't gotten it yet. I've heard it's great and being a child of the 80's I think I'd love it.

... Perfect Timing! Thanks for the recommendations. I am about to start my 3 day road trip and audiobooks are a must. I prefer courtroom drama's because they keep your attention, are faced paced and perfect for driving when you may miss a sentence or two. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Perfect Timing! Thanks for the recommendations. I am about to start my 3 day road trip and audiobooks are a must. I prefer courtroom drama's because they keep your attention, are faced paced and perfect for driving when you may miss a sentence or two. 

Maybe pull over to read, probably safer 😏😋

38 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Just finished a second reading of the Dresden Files in hope that he'll be releasing Peace Talks before too long.

Ready Player One has been on my to read list for a while, don't know why I haven't gotten it yet. I've heard it's great and being a child of the 80's I think I'd love it.

loved the movie- its a gamers dream!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

As for Fiction: John Grisham, David Baldacci, Lee Child, James Patterson, Scott Turow, Vince Flynn and Micheal Connelly are all among my favorites.
Reading Grisham's newest right now, The Reckoning and it grabs you from the start.
Sports Authors: These two are probably my two favorite of any type book. 
John Feinstein--Lucky enough to get to see and visit with him once or twice a week during basketball season and he couldn't be nicer!!--I just finished Quarterback and have read every one of his golf and basketball books.  Still need to read Living on the Black his book about Mike Mussina and tom Glavine and Where Nobody Knows Your Name about the minor leagues of baseball. 
James Dodson--Have recommended him a few times here...I dare anyone to read Final Rounds and tell me the room didn't get dusty, and Son of the Game is a must read for any Pinehurst fan or father trying to get his son involved in the game.   But maybe two of my favorite were two autobiography's, one An American Triumvirate  on Hogan, Snead and Nelson, what a great account of each of them, since I didn't get to see any of them play.   And A Golfers Life  on Arnold Palmer is a must read for any Arnie fan. 

Love Feinstein’s writing - “Where nobody knows your name is in my queue. Living on the black was a great read as were his golf books.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Of late, Ivan Doig. I'm down to my last few he's authored. I read all of the Vince Flynn series and really liked those as well. My niece recently sent me a book she found at a garage sale, "A Stout Cord & a Good Drop" by James Gaitis, and it's a really great read - if you're into Montana and western states based history.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Greg Isles is my favorite author. He really paints pictures in your mind with his words and has s knack for keeping his books in your hand when you think you’re only reading one more chapter before bed. Dan Brown is another good author.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

53 minutes ago, CFrazier said:

Greg Isles is my favorite author. He really paints pictures in your mind with his words and has s knack for keeping his books in your hand when you think you’re only reading one more chapter before bed. Dan Brown is another good author.

I have read one or two of his and you’re right, i enjoyed tbem. Once i finish this stack we just bought il have to look for one of his newer ones. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I should throw in a mention to John Updike. I have read the Rabbit series a number of times first when I was a young adult. Hard to believe that I’ve well outlived the title character.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have read one or two of his and you’re right, i enjoyed tbem. Once i finish this stack we just bought il have to look for one of his newer ones. 

Our local library has a “selloff” during the year. When Doc told me I was shutdown for 3-6 months War Dept went with me to the latest sale and we picked up about 20 books for the duration. Prices range from .25 to $1.00 great deal. We donate the books after we read them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I used to read Robin Cook’s mysteries....all his books were one word titles and health related. Since I worked in the healthcare industry, I enjoyed the reads. Then I started reading Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan series.....read them all and now on the Jack Ryan Jr. series.

I also have a classmate that retired and started writing.....Ray Peden. He was the Boy Scout assigned to my Cub Scout den. He has written a couple mysteries with my hometown.

JRR Tolkien’s books have my interest as well. Read the Hobbit and Lied of the Rings several times.

I also enjoy some of the John Grisham books.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

WEB Griffin. Although he is getting on in years and his son, William E Butterworth IV has been writing with (for) him for many years. They are not as good as WEB’s books of 10 years ago and before but getting better.

There have been many times when I considered responding in the “What are you listening to?” thread with the name of a recorded book I am listening to. You see, I listen to one for about 12 hours a day. I only watch TV on weekends and that’s usually either golf tournaments or whatever my wife has recorded for us to watch.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS