Favorite Author

revkev

All time favorite is Hunter S. Thompson - I fancied myself a gonzo journalist for a time. Cussler is the go-to when I’m traveling. For anybody interested in survey style history, Tony Horwitz is very entertaining - start with “A Voyage Long & Strange”.

• Like 3

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Haven't read in years, but when I did, I'm echoing many here...

• Robert Ludlum-All of the Bourne series of course, but he wrote so much more that were riveting and always seemed to have some sort of "gotcha". The Bourne movies never got close to the books in any way and were to me very disappointing and hard to even watch with the jerky camera and weird coloring. I still own many of them in hard back
  • Clive Cussler-Just damn fun! Always got the imaginative and adventurous juices flowing. Like Indiana Jones on steroids. I still have most in paperback somewhere.
  • Tom Clancy-"The Hunt for Red October" was a book gifted to my Dad when it first came out for Christmas in 1985. I wound up reading it on my will😉 in High School and it was the book that started me reading on a regular basis. When "Red Storm Rising" came out, I was at 29 Palms and read that one at least 10-times. Clancy was always good for a thrilling flick. Movie was pretty well done I thought.
  • Tom Wolfe-"The Right Stuff"...The book..? AMAZING! Movie..? AWESOME...'nuf said.
  • Ian Fleming-Naturally...
  • Like 4

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Lee Child, I love the Jack Reacher character. John Grisham is a good read. My daughter and I both enjoy J. K. Rowling. It started as a challenge to get her to read more, that we’d read the books together. Now reading is her favorite thing.

So I find myself reading what she reads, to give us something to talk about.

Trying to introduce her to To Kill A Mockingbird, she’s 12.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Lee Child, I love the Jack Reacher character. John Grisham is a good read. My daughter and I both enjoy J. K. Rowling. It started as a challenge to get her to read more, that we’d read the books together. Now reading is her favorite thing.

So I find myself reading what she reads, to give us something to talk about.

Trying to introduce her to To Kill A Mockingbird, she’s 12.

My daughter is a voracious reader anything from Melville to Rawling, she’s currently reading the newest Potter book.

@G Swag I think this book got some lower ratings because it is very different from many of Grisham’s other offerings. It’s set in the past, 1946, and contains an element of historical fiction. I just completed that part of the book and found it compelling. But if you tuned in expecting typical Grisham court room drama stuff this one would not be for you.

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Just Bloom. Still my favorite books!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Through high school and college, Bernard Malamud was among my favorites. Later on, I became a big fan of Grisham, Clancy, Ludlum, and Patterson.

I do not read nearly as much any more, mainly because I used to read myself to sleep every night. When I got married, my wife did not like that I kept falling asleep with the lamp on.

• Like 3

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

Overall, I enjoy social psychology and it began with Malcolm Gladwell.

I am currently reading The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion.

It’s by Jonathan Haidt; he has a nice way with words.

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Overall, I enjoy social psychology and it began with Malcolm Gladwell.

I am currently reading The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion.

It’s by Jonathan Haidt; he has a nice way with words.

Gladwell has a really good podcast if you like to listen to those.

I liked his books as well and he's an excellent speaker.

Another 'social psych' type is freakonomics.... that is interesting.

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Gladwell has a really good podcast if you like to listen to those.
I liked his books as well and he's an excellent speaker.
Another 'social psych' type is freakonomics.... that is interesting.

He really does. I like how he thinks.

My wife loves the freakanomics series. She also digs Simon Sinek and has evolved into books like Trauma Stewardship. She’s a senior caseworker for special victims and I’m a firefighter so we both need our healthy outlets.

• TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

As for Fiction: John Grisham, David Baldacci, Lee Child, James Patterson, Scott Turow, Vince Flynn and Micheal Connelly are all among my favorites.

Reading Grisham's newest right now, The Reckoning and it grabs you from the start.

Sports Authors: These two are probably my two favorite of any type book. 

John Feinstein--Lucky enough to get to see and visit with him once or twice a week during basketball season and he couldn't be nicer!!--I just finished Quarterback and have read every one of his golf and basketball books.  Still need to read Living on the Black his book about Mike Mussina and tom Glavine and Where Nobody Knows Your Name about the minor leagues of baseball. 

James Dodson--Have recommended him a few times here...I dare anyone to read Final Rounds and tell me the room didn't get dusty, and Son of the Game is a must read for any Pinehurst fan or father trying to get his son involved in the game.   But maybe two of my favorite were two autobiography's, one An American Triumvirate  on Hogan, Snead and Nelson, what a great account of each of them, since I didn't get to see any of them play.   And A Golfers Life  on Arnold Palmer is a must read for any Arnie fan. 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

As for Non Fiction: John Grisham, David Baldacci, Lee Child, James Patterson, Scott Turow, Vince Flynn and Micheal Connelly are all among my favorites.
Reading Grisham's newest right now, The Reckoning and it grabs you from the start.
Sports Authors: These two are probably my two favorite of any type book. 
John Feinstein--Lucky enough to get to see and visit with him once or twice a week during basketball season and he couldn't be nicer!!--I just finished Quarterback.  
James Dodson--Have recommended him a few times here...I dare anyone to read Final Rounds and tell me the room didn't get dusty, and Son of the Game is a must read for any Pinehurst fan or father trying to get his son involved in the game.   But maybe two of my favorite were two autobiography's, one An American Triumvirate  on Hogan, Snead and Nelson, what a great account of each of them, since I didn't get to see any of them play.   And A Golfers Life  on Arnold Palmer is a must read for any Arnie fan. 

I’m with you on most of your choices but one. Lee Child, in my not so literary mind has gotten a bit “sloppy” in a few of the latest Reacher books, just my opinion. The Reacher series has been truly great reads but lately.....
Baldacci & Connelly also are favorites of mine.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Way to many to I love to pick one, but it push comes to shove my favorite would have to be Patrick Rothfuss.  He's only got 2 books out and they are both part of a trilogy.  It's also been over 10 years since the first one came out and I'm still patiently waiting for the 3rd.
I read a ton of fantasy and military fiction/thriller stuff.  
I'm currently working my way through Brad Thor, Brad Taylor and Daniel Silva.
Rothfuss is phenomenal, his storytelling is second to none. Although I believe he subscribes to the George R.R. Martin theory of writing, one book every 5 to 10 years, but it's definitely worth the wait.

I'm also a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, who finished the Wheel of Time when Robert Jordan passed. His ability to create magic systems is incredible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

good thread!  reminds me of a story my wife told me about one of her job interviews; one of the final questions was "what was the best book you've read recently and why?".... she had to scramble to answer that one. 😃  If you're ever interviewing someone and looking for a non-work type of question...

I read a lot of different types of books and try not to attach myself to one author.  Sometimes it can tend to get repetitive and you can almost predict the storyline.  There are some series that are fantastic though - the girl with the dragon tattoo series by Larsson is incredible; Lisbeth Salander is unforgettable.  I even listened to the audiobook and it was even better because they added the accents of the characters.

Too many to name here but the best I've recently read is "Educated" by Tara Westover; a pretty wild true story about her life...hard to put down.

If you're looking for that 'next read' and goodreads doesn't give you what you want try Bill Gates site - gatesnotes - he's got some really good recommendations.

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say here!

This had me laugh out loud.  My wife listens to audio books a fair bit.  A friend gave her access to her audible account so she would listen to whatever was in there.  I walked into the bedroom one day and "slooty Bethany" came across the airwaves.  "What the heck are you listening to?"  I can't get that out of me head every time I hear a British accent now.

Another decent read is The Detroit Electric Scheme: A Mystery.  My brother-in-law got this for Christmas last year and I read it quick before we all headed home.  It had a neat blend of fiction and history.  Fascinating how far along electric cars were more than 100 years ago!

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

32 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m with you on most of your choices but one. Lee Child, in my not so literary mind has gotten a bit “sloppy” in a few of the latest Reacher books, just my opinion. The Reacher series has been truly great reads but lately.....
Baldacci & Connelly also are favorites of mine.

To be honest, I haven't read his most recent ones.  Something called MGS has taken over a lot of my old book reading time...LOL

But my Fiance is reading his current one, so I'm sure it'll be on my side of the bookcase in a week or two.  In the meantime, I've got plenty of the others to keep me occupied.  We just picked up five new books on NY Eve at Barns and Noble, mostly for her to prepare for the plane trip to Orlando and kill time in the evenings at the hotel. 

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Lots of mystery writers for me but the topper is Clive Cussler. His mysteries are just fun to read.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
I'm with you. I wanted to name our dog Dirk Pitt, but got outvoted.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Used to love the realistic fiction style of Michael Crichton. Was hoping Andy Weir would follow in those footsteps after The Martian came out, but his 2nd book wasn’t anything special.

Rothfuss is another great one, especially since he’s from Wisconsin!

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: RADSPEED, Fujikura Motore 70 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour STiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: KING Black 50°, 54°, 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black 7

Just thought of another author who's books I couldn't put down, he's only got 2 so far but both have been fantastic.  Especially if you were a child of the 80's. 

Check out Ernest Cline.  His first book (Ready Player One) I've read a couple of times and still can't put it down once I start.  Haven't watched the movie yet and I've heard it's not fantastic, but the book was amazing.  Armada is his 2nd, has a bit of an Ender's Game feel but I still loved it.

Also nobody's mentioned it yet but a great Urban Fantasy series is the Dresden File's by Jim Butcher.

And 2nd vote for Brandon Sanderson, I've ready pretty much everything he's written.

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just thought of another author who's books I couldn't put down, he's only got 2 so far but both have been fantastic.  Especially if you were a child of the 80's. 
Check out Ernest Cline.  His first book (Ready Player One) I've read a couple of times and still can't put it down once I start.  Haven't watched the movie yet and I've heard it's not fantastic, but the book was amazing.  Armada is his 2nd, has a bit of an Ender's Game feel but I still loved it.

Also nobody's mentioned it yet but a great Urban Fantasy series is the Dresden File's by Jim Butcher.
And 2nd vote for Brandon Sanderson, I've ready pretty much everything he's written.
Just finished a second reading of the Dresden Files in hope that he'll be releasing Peace Talks before too long.

Ready Player One has been on my to read list for a while, don't know why I haven't gotten it yet. I've heard it's great and being a child of the 80's I think I'd love it.

... Perfect Timing! Thanks for the recommendations. I am about to start my 3 day road trip and audiobooks are a must. I prefer courtroom drama's because they keep your attention, are faced paced and perfect for driving when you may miss a sentence or two. 

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Perfect Timing! Thanks for the recommendations. I am about to start my 3 day road trip and audiobooks are a must. I prefer courtroom drama's because they keep your attention, are faced paced and perfect for driving when you may miss a sentence or two. 

Maybe pull over to read, probably safer 😏😋

38 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Just finished a second reading of the Dresden Files in hope that he'll be releasing Peace Talks before too long.

Ready Player One has been on my to read list for a while, don't know why I haven't gotten it yet. I've heard it's great and being a child of the 80's I think I'd love it.

loved the movie- its a gamers dream!

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"